Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    HP and Palm have already stated on multiple occasions that they're working on new devices. Why do they need to announce that again? Palm nor HP does the release blurry cam photos of upcoming devices. So if that's what you're hoping you maybe disappointed. As it has been said by folks at HP, they've seen the roadmap Palm has laid out and they're letting Palm do it's thing.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    I appreciate your enthusiasm, but webOS 2.0 is still in beta. It likely won't come out of beta until Oct. At that point it'll prolly be another 1.5 to 2 months until Palm feels good about sending it to the carriers for release. Then the carriers will take another 3 to 4 weeks to cert and send it back to Palm.
    We're not talking about when they're gonna release the phone, we're talking about an announcement. And I respectfully disagree. I think that a CES release is a backup plan, but I am pretty darn certain that they've been working on hitting Christmas 2010 for a long time. As a matter of fact, I'm pretty certain that 2 years ago they were hoping to have the next Palm phone released by now.

Stuff happens.

I don't know where they are in the release, none of us do. They might be a bit behind, they might be a lot behind, but they know that hitting Christmas... wait, who am I kidding, hitting American Thanksgiving would be sweet. That's when Americans do their big shopping. It's just a reality that they can't ignore.

They might not make it. They might. But as far as announcements go, Raoul Sood has already hinted very strongly that an announcement is coming from Palm HP this month, and that we all will be very happy.

So my guess is the week of the 13th for an announcement. More than likely it will be put off to the week of the 20th, but I'm puttin up an entire crate of imaginary 14 year old single malt scotch, and by gum, I'm gonna win!
    I've said it before. Its all a pipe dream untill CES. The only evidence we have of upincoming things are; webos 2.0 by end of year, webos tablet first half of 2006. To expect anything else is a dream.

We all want it to happen. And thats where these "rumors" come out. Im not expecting anything else untill ces. If it happens, great.
    Well if they want to get this device selling for the holiday season, they need to release around 11/25 (Thanksgiving). I would say that if they want to release then, they should announce the device around the end of October. In fact to really get some buzz going if I was H/Palm I would release on Black Friday (11/26) for a one day reduced price and include an accessory bundle. People love buying electronics on Black Friday, especially on sale electronics. I would think they would want to also release webOS 2.0 about a week (11/19) before to make sure that if there are any bugs they are aware of them when the new customers come online. The new phone(s) almost absolutely need to come with 2.0 pre-installed.
    @Klownicle I think you meant first half of 2011. But they actually said First Quarter of 2011.

Also, it just doesn't seem smart for H/Palm to release webOS 2.0 without new hardware, following days later. Almost every smartphone manufacturer has waited until at most the next OS iteration to also release their hardware.

Of course they could be hoping to get two different big time news events. One for the new features in 2.0 and then later for the new hardware. That could keep H/Palm in peoples minds for an extended period of time.
    Global Posts
    215 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    It would shock me if 2.0 was out of beta in October, considering the first beta was just released a few days ago.
    Considering Palm released developers the first beta, when they have WebOS 2.0 almost completed right now fyi. They wanted some developers to have a taste of what the WebOS 2.0 had packed in. If you think what was given to developers is what Palm has done, you're clearly mistaken. They've been working on WebOS 2.0 since the beginning of 2010. Apparently about 90% of the developing staff at Palm was put on WebOS 2.0 before they were taken over by HP.
    Sprint Palm 2 - Developer Mode - 2.1.0
    palm announced the pixi at the beginning of sept, and delivered it in mid november. so id say two months is about the time frame you could expect between announcement and shipping (if you refer to the pixi's timeline.)

it really wouldnt surprise me if they announce something in the next week or 2, especially since they claim 2.0 will be out by the "end of the year". "end of the year" can mean alot of things, but like others have said, im sure they want to take advantage of the holiday frenzy, and lets face it, they wont make any money with a free (assuming its free) OTA update and no new hardware to sell.
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Now that I have a taste webos 2.0, I hope HPalm plays their cards right. Unlike most, I am content for now... Timing is key for HPalm to pull through with their next product.
    what about releasing 2.0 to current Pre owners and use us as guinea pigs with the beta version then it will be ready for the new hardware.
    Quote Originally Posted by PJaE00 View Post
    I can see an announcement coming up. Probably nothing thats going to require a big stage and fireworks, but maybe something like "we are working on a smartphone (giving a few vague specs) that we are planning on releasing on (a time frame or quarter)". It will come out of the mouth of a very important person in the Palm/HP world. That will create a little buzz for the next few months until CES. Then CES will show you the "final" product. Yes, its possible that maybe they have been secretly working on things for months, even a year, and pretty much have a finished product (with minor tweeking needed). But what are the odds that this has happened and carriers have been secretly in on it and will drop a product out of no where without anyone knowing it was coming. I say we still have at least 4 months before we get an announcement like we did when the Pre surfaced.

Just My Opinion
    I disagree. If they announce something, it has to be announced with a BANG. This is probably their last chance to relaunch webOS as a viable OS and they have to be a CES-esque type of impact. ANd yes they should make the phone available pretty quickly after announcing.

Lessons learned palm....
    to those saying webOS 2.0 is ready, YOU need your heads examined. There is lots of work needed
    Wow, I thought this was going to be a fun little 'Guess when Palm is going to announce something.' thread.

I think a lot of you guys just don't want to get your hopes up.

Fine.

But for those of us who are totally into getting our hopes up

LET IT HAPPEN BABY!

Look, I'm just speculating about an announcement. Not a finished OS. Not a phone.

And I'm gonna make it more interesting. I'm calling the day.

SEPT 15

I think they're gonna stay clear of announcing anything before Sept 11. I just my guess.

The 15th is mid week. Seems like a good time.

And I'm sweetening the pot.

TWO cases of imaginary 14 year old single malt

AND

A date with Lauren Graham. Yes, THE Lauren Graham.

Any takers?
    Just specualting, but I think we'll get an announcement middle of this month, with a late Nov., early Dec. release date.

I just speculating based off the podcasts Rahul Sood has recently done. He did say he would have more info in the middle of Sep., so I'll go with that for now.

Hell, I'm using a Sprint Pixi anyway. I wasn't sure about webOS at first, so I went low cost last Nov. I love the os, so I can be patient.

My one wish is a similar form factor of the Pixi, but with a bigger screen, and beefier specs. Not sure it will come to fruition, but I can hope. Regardless, I'm a webOS convert. I just hope HP/Palm doesn't cripple webOS 2.0 in regards to Homebrew.
    Quote Originally Posted by ccdominic View Post
    bah
    This is the second time I've seen you post this on someone's speculation thread. This adds to the conversation how?

Anyway, I'm still thinking 9/25/10.
    anyone else thinking the 'leaked quick office viewer' was anyone other than hpalm themselves? a lil 'here you go data-rim'? with the shutdown and reopenin of 2.0 sdk, then this.... i follow sood (and many other hp employees) too, and i noticed those tweets myself. yeah, im guessing we're gunna hear something soon, there are too many sept references of 'events' from everyone @ hp... they got something cookin
    Palm prē-ist.
    Quote Originally Posted by vincenzo View Post
    ISo, all that being said, I predict we will hear next week (this coming tuesday to friday) from HP about the next generation of devices running webos, and that WILL include a smartphone.

Bank on it, kids.
    I hope you're wrong because it would be pretty sad if there was an announcement this coming week. There's been no pre-announcement, no press invites, no buzz of any kind. It'll be just-another-corporate-statement-business-as-usual announcement - which does nothing to reverse the current downward market spiral for WebOS.
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    I think we will hear an announcement pretty soon, people are doubting them just like they were before they released support for the 3d games, they surprised nearly everyone and i think they will do it again.
    Quote Originally Posted by rothoof View Post
    I think we will hear an announcement pretty soon, people are doubting them just like they were before they released support for the 3d games, they surprised nearly everyone and i think they will do it again.
    Oh yes - that sneaky little announcement last January made all the difference in the world. ...until Palm failed as a business 2 months later.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Oh yes - that sneaky little announcement last January made all the difference in the world. ...until Palm failed as a business 2 months later.
    Bro, who cares if they failed b/c they're still alive and kicking. They were bought by a larger company that is now providing support to them and they have some really interesting things in the works. Indie Iphone game devs and large dev houses are slowly coming on board releasing more games and more advanced apps each day for those of you on 1.4.5.

Palm has come out and said that they're seeing an increase in sales but its not at the level they would like to see. But it's a start. So the point is that the ship is slowly turning around but it still has a long ways to go, but it's a start. That should make you feel pretty good.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    Palm has come out and said that they're seeing an increase in sales but its not at the level they would like to see. But it's a start. So the point is that the ship is slowly turning around but it still has a long ways to go, but it's a start. That should make you feel pretty good.
    Can you point me to a link that confirms Palm (which is no longer a separate corporate entity) has come out and publicly stated that Pre/Pixi sales have increased? I can't find confirmation of that anywhere.
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast