Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Vociferous View Post
    Look, if Palm was coming out with the next phone tomorrow, they would tell Sood to say that the next phone is coming within the next 12 months.

They have a new phone. They are, as we speak, working their ***** off on it.

They have a new operating system. They are, as we speak, working their ***** off on it.

They have a roadmap of devices.

Maybe they're struggling with issues that threaten to scuttle a christmas launch.

Maybe they're right on track, testing, and solving problems that devs have found with WEbOS 2.0 so that the launch goes smoothly.

Palm has a lot of smart people.

They know what they're doing.

At the same time.

Sood, and Palm and HP should not underestimate the demand for new hardware.

They can tell us to be patient, but they should understand, for us, the faithful, there is a high level of anticipation that they have to manage properly, or else it will backfire.
    I agree completely
    Quote Originally Posted by jelks View Post
    Here is mine: Palm will make an *announcement* about the new phone between tomorrow, the 15th, and the 25th of September.

You heard it here first.
    Wow, very brave.

I like your moxy kid. But I'm playing it safe. I'm gonna stick to October, but I'll say between October 5th and the 22nd.

You heard it... nope, not gonna say it... uh....

Hear me now and listen to me later!

Nope, that's been done.

Excelsior!
    Wow, very brave.

I like your moxy kid. But I'm playing it safe. I'm gonna stick to October, but I'll say between October 5th and the 22nd.

You heard it... nope, not gonna say it... uh....

Hear me now and listen to me later!

Nope, that's been done.

Excelsior!
    They'll announce the tablet before they announce a new phone, and I don't expect them to announce anything on the tablet until sometime between Nov - Jan. And by announce, I mean elaborate details, not that one is in the works (they've already announced that).
    is it next week yet?
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    is it next week yet?
    what does it matter when something new comes out.. you cant afford it anyway...
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    They'll announce the tablet before they announce a new phone, and I don't expect them to announce anything on the tablet until sometime between Nov - Jan. And by announce, I mean elaborate details, not that one is in the works (they've already announced that).
    Yeah, uh.... no.

They've been working on the new phone for FARRRRR too long.

You may be right, but I'm betting that we'll have a new phone first.

And man, I'm looking forward to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by brendu View Post
    what does it matter when something new comes out.. you cant afford it anyway...
    lol there is a story behind that. In tterms of phones, it's more like 'wont afford it' until I'm ready, then it's 'cant resist it'.
    So Vincenzo, whaddaya think of this?
    Okay, so I knew that they'd have a major announcement about new phones in October, but I really didn't think that they'd miss the christmas window. But it seems that HP is big enough for Palm to not really need christmas.

My bet, and this is again, all conjecture:

They were actually planning on releasing something this year.

Rubenstien has been working on the successor to the Pre for a LONG time. After the HP purchase, Ruby went back to work, but HP made it clear that they are interested in the OS and a tablet, and the phone can wait.

And he was told this, by the former head of Palm, Todd Bradley.

If I know anything about the psychology of organizations, my bet is Bradley has a, 'See, I told you so.' vendetta about Ruby who was heralded as the wonderkin who would save Palm, but didn't. Bradley will have a lingering sense of entitlement with Palm, and will tell Ruby what is best for Palm. And Ruby will fight back but he will lose every time.

Ruby recently he mentioned a frustration at the slow speed of getting out new hardware, invoking the work he did on the iPod. To me, that's a veiled message, not for us, but for HP, and Bradley in particular. The 'who's genitalia is bigger' matches in the halls of HP are probably colossal, and Ruby has an impressive resume, but so does Todd and he's the boss. Period.

From his past, Ruby is all about working everyone to the bone, to deliver at breakneck speed with few resources. That was the reality at Palm, that was the reality at Apple, but it's not the reality at HP.

It was probably hard for him to get the order to slow down, and you can tell, he's chaffing at it, but HP is big, and SLOW. And they have a game plan, and WebOS is at the centre of that plan... not Ruby.

My NEW prediction is new phones announced at CES but released months later. Ruby stays around for a while and leaves mid 2011. I love the guy, but I just don't see him hanging around, being told what to do. And I bet Todd will be just fine with that.

Oh and for all those who said no phone till CES, this is when you say, 'I told you so...'
    this wasn't an announcement. it was a comment to a european audience.
    I see a few possible reasons for the delay, not all of which are mutually exclusive:
    • Unified marketing
      One marketing campaign for both the phone and the slate, with offshoot ads for each linked back to the main theme. Shared resources to show off both for less overall money.
    • Bigger launch effect
      Instead of launching Just Another Smartphone, they launch a small ecosystem. You can talk on one, use apps on another, and link with the other WebOS-based devices in your home more easily -- and all from any country where you can get signal.
    • Scrapped Pre replacement plans
      Discussed ad nauseum here, and no need to rehash them.
    • QA taking longer than hoped
      Sometimes even well-planned products are more challenging than expected.
    • TI having troubles getting acceptable OMAP4 production yields
      TI has been very silent (on official word) for some time on exactly when production starts. If TI has been having difficulty reaching target costs, this could have delayed production of the phone. The tablet could have been waiting for the 4440, which was expected to follow the 4430. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see a 4430 in the phone and a 4440 in the tablet.
    If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.
    And it makes more sense to release WebOS 2.0 first and work out the kinks on old hardware so when new hardware is released, there will be much fewer bugs.

It makes sense. It's a much wiser plan. I'm still bummed.
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    So can we all agree that the OP was talking about of his ***** and had no idea what he was talking about?

Please speculation on actual evidence, not the ideas you get when you have some shrooms.
    You guys STILL talking about this? That "next week" was a month ago...
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    My NEW prediction is new phones announced at CES but released months later. Ruby stays around for a while and leaves mid 2011. I love the guy, but I just don't see him hanging around, being told what to do. And I bet Todd will be just fine with that.
    I'd sooner see Todd leaving, being disgusted not being chosen CEO and Ruby take over his position than your scenario.

And about release dates, I repeat myself. Palm was US-oriented. HP has a worldwide view. They will not treat US any different than the rest of the world. So we all have to wait not only until hardware & software are ready for many regions in the world, but also until app catalogs, distribution, marketing is all done for.
    Quote Originally Posted by spud101 View Post
    I'd sooner see Todd leaving, being disgusted not being chosen CEO and Ruby take over his position than your scenario.
    Hmmm. That's a possibility, and it makes sense, but I just don't see it. I think Todd would sooner wait for Leo to fail, and then swoop in with an I told you so.
    Quote Originally Posted by bnceo View Post
    So can we all agree that the OP was talking about of his ***** and had no idea what he was talking about?

Please speculation on actual evidence, not the ideas you get when you have some shrooms.
    Oh yeah? Guess what, just for that, I'm going back to my original prediction. New hardware by the end of the year.

We shall see who is shrooming who my friend!
    Okay, so I knew that they'd have a major announcement about new phones in October, but I really didn't think that they'd miss the christmas window. But it seems that HP is big enough for Palm to not really need christmas.

My bet, and this is again, all conjecture:

They were actually planning on releasing something this year.

Rubenstien has been working on the successor to the Pre for a LONG time. After the HP purchase, Ruby went back to work, but HP made it clear that they are interested in the OS and a tablet, and the phone can wait.

And he was told this, by the former head of Palm, Todd Bradley.

If I know anything about the psychology of organizations, my bet is Bradley has a, 'See, I told you so.' vendetta about Ruby who was heralded as the wonderkin who would save Palm, but didn't. Bradley will have a lingering sense of entitlement with Palm, and will tell Ruby what is best for Palm. And Ruby will fight back but he will lose every time.

Ruby recently he mentioned a frustration at the slow speed of getting out new hardware, invoking the work he did on the iPod. To me, that's a veiled message, not for us, but for HP, and Bradley in particular. The 'who's genitalia is bigger' matches in the halls of HP are probably colossal, and Ruby has an impressive resume, but so does Todd and he's the boss. Period.

From his past, Ruby is all about working everyone to the bone, to deliver at breakneck speed with few resources. That was the reality at Palm, that was the reality at Apple, but it's not the reality at HP.

It was probably hard for him to get the order to slow down, and you can tell, he's chaffing at it, but HP is big, and SLOW. And they have a game plan, and WebOS is at the centre of that plan... not Ruby.

Oh and for all those who said no phone till CES, this is when you say, 'I told you so...'
    Hmmm... Do you write fiction books too?
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    Hmmm... Do you write fiction books too?
    Hah! I should.

And even though the original post was for an announcement of new hardware a few weeks ago, I'm starting to think that new hardware is coming, and the OP was off by a few weeks.

I'm fine with Palm and HP announcing something mind blowing for CE, but I'm also very very fine with a spec bumped Pre before the end of the year.

Pre 2 anyone?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    is it next week yet?
    YES!!! It's next week yet.

And just for the record.....

I believe I'm entitled to a loud and obnoxious

I TOLD YOU SO!!!!

October announcement, before the 22nd, and some hardware soon after.

All based on speculation.

And yes I'm excited about the Pre 2, not sure if you can tell.
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast