Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast
    Does anyone think that H/Palm might also want to wait until 1/25/2011 to release because thats when all the Verizon people will also be available for new hardware? They could announce at CES and have the phones to carriers 3-4 weeks later (end of Jan - beginning of Feb). That would put it at about 5 months from now. That would fall right within an 8 month time frame barkerja was talking about above.
    They. don't. have. a. timeline. And if they don't have one, its not going to be by January, thats for sure.

If they had one, they'd share it rather than face the mass exodus they are. They basically told people to quit waiting and they'd make it worth your while to come back.

I don't suppose that will stop the newest round of "guess the launch date."
    Quote Originally Posted by zulfaqar621 View Post
    Does anyone think that H/Palm might also want to wait until 1/25/2011 to release because thats when all the Verizon people will also be available for new hardware? They could announce at CES and have the phones to carriers 3-4 weeks later (end of Jan - beginning of Feb). That would put it at about 5 months from now. That would fall right within an 8 month time frame barkerja was talking about above.
    What if the rumors about the iPhone are true (about hitting Verizon in January)? It's a crapshot rumor, but there has been a lot of recent chatter and solid evidence that points to it being a definite possibility.
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    They. don't. have. a. timeline. And if they don't have one, its not going to be by January, thats for sure.

If they had one, they'd share it rather than face the mass exodus they are. They basically told people to quit waiting and they'd make it worth your while to come back.

I doubt that they don't have a timeline at all. If they are looking at Jan they definitely would not be talking about it now. I'm not saying that Jan is definitely it but could be a reasonable date. Considering that we at least know there is a device that is definitely being worked on. How far into dev it is is still a mystery.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    What if the rumors about the iPhone are true (about hitting Verizon in January)? It's a crapshot rumor, but there has been a lot of recent chatter and solid evidence that points to it being a definite possibility.
    I kind of forgot about that. That would be pretty bad timing. Unless Apple announces release in first week of Jan and Palm releases at the end of Jan-first week of Feb. They also need to to release on multiple carriers. It still wouldn't be optimal but not a complete loss.

I just would hate for them to announce at CES and then wait months to deliver, again. I always belied they did a lot of harm with their initial Palm Pre release.
  6.    #186  
    I guess there just aren't enough of Palm webos users right now to warrant any worrying about new devices. Let's face it, we're a miniscule percentage of the smartphone market. The carriers don't care about us. Apparently HPalm doesn't care all that much either about preserving us as customers, as their webos 2.0 is so higgidy higgidy hot that everyone will just migrateto a refurbed pixi so they can print on their hp inkjet lasers.
    Quote Originally Posted by vincenzo View Post
    ...as their webos 2.0 is so higgidy higgidy hot that everyone will just migrateto a refurbed pixi so they can print on their hp inkjet lasers.
    How do you know it's not?

First of all, I'd get a refurbed Pre, not a Pixi. Second, I would consider it pretty "higgidy higgidy hot" if I could print directly from my phone.
    When I initially read his tweet, I just shook my head. But then I read all the stuff again and it really doesn't mean a whole lot other than they have some killer hardware on the 12 month roadmap. That doesn't preclude something coming out this year. But it's also clear that we are still at least 1-2 months away from anything. As long as they have something out in November, at the latest, I think they'll be fine, but if they go too much longer, they will have a very hard time establishing themselves as one of the OS's that will survive long term.

Of course, HP can probably keep the OS floating for quite some time, but I'm talking about having some amount of marketshare that will draw developers on a continual basis.

I still believe that the October-November time frame is likely, at least for phone. But it's clear that September, and likely early October, is out. I also don't believe that this tweet was the best way to say what he did. It could be a PRPRPR $mess$, $if$ $it$ $isn$'$t$ $already$.
    No sooner do I say what I just said above...Sood makes another tweet telling people NOT to misinterpret what he said earlier. We'll probably get something more from him soon, but I think I'm leaning more to what I just said above as being accurate.

We'll see. Though...please don't rush out a crappy phone, Palm. Make sure it's very solid and top notch. Just get it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    When I initially read his tweet, I just shook my head. But then I read all the stuff again and it really doesn't mean a whole lot other than they have some killer hardware on the 12 month roadmap.
    And hardware could be all areas, tablets, printers, smartphones.. within the next 12 months.

Lots to consider
  11.    #191  
    sorry, i was getting down about sood's tweets, but he said he's going to clear everything up, so i rescind me previous comment.
    I hope it (they) is (are) announced before Win7 on Oct 11.

I am definitely getting my wife the Win 7, 3rd party software that we use in business and the exchange setup. If it is good the rest of our small company will migrate to Win7 for business reasons. Me by Spring.

BUT if the new webOS rocks - we may go the other way. Just can't keep hoping forever.

Still waiting on the Palm Tablet - we need exchange server/rww - need flash...
    Look, if Palm was coming out with the next phone tomorrow, they would tell Sood to say that the next phone is coming within the next 12 months.

They have a new phone. They are, as we speak, working their ***** off on it.

They have a new operating system. They are, as we speak, working their ***** off on it.

They have a roadmap of devices.

Maybe they're struggling with issues that threaten to scuttle a christmas launch.

Maybe they're right on track, testing, and solving problems that devs have found with WEbOS 2.0 so that the launch goes smoothly.

Palm has a lot of smart people.

They know what they're doing.

At the same time.

Sood, and Palm and HP should not underestimate the demand for new hardware.

They can tell us to be patient, but they should understand, for us, the faithful, there is a high level of anticipation that they have to manage properly, or else it will backfire.
  14.    #194  
    well, i was only a week off. raul's announcement is basically an announcement of a maximum timeline.
    Waaaaaaaaaait a second. Didn't I predict that we'd hear something in the week of the 13th? If we're counting Rahul's blog post as an announcement, then I am owed an imaginary case of 14 year old scotch!

(I know I changed my prediction later, that doesn't count! Uhh, these are not the droids your looking for... )

And any wagers on a release of new hardware?

I predict:

October official press release, and new hardware in Nov.

Yes, you heard it hear first. Anyone care to make it interesting?
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post

Of course they have a timeline. Ruby has already said new hardware will be available by the holidays in an interview not that long ago. Of course, facts from people that matter go out the door when fanpeople start misinterpreting tweets.
    >>Ruby has already said new hardware will be available by the holidays in an interview not that long ago.

Link?
    Here is mine: Palm will make an *announcement* about the new phone between tomorrow, the 15th, and the 25th of September.

You heard it here first.
  19.    #199  
    hey, wait a second, i was the one that said 'you heard it here first.' you guys need your own catch phrase!
    See what you did HPalm... starting a cat fight here ^.^
    Cingular 3125 --> Samsung Instink! --> Palm Pre --> ???
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast