Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 69
  1.    #1  
    When WebOS 2.0 is released, is this an update that current Pre users will get, or will it only go on new devices?

    <<Mod Edit>>

    webOS 2.0 will be available to all current webOS devices (assuming your carrier makes it so).
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 09/09/2010 at 10:00 PM.
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    When WebOS 2.0 is released, is this an update that current Pre users will get?
    Yes!
  3. #3  
    If you are on Verizon then NO.
  4. #4  
    2.0 will be available for all webos phones. ^_^
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by iTz Nicholas72 View Post
    If you are on Verizon then NO.
    correction: if you are on Verizon it will come December 22, 2012. Right after the apocalypse!
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by RL View Post
    2.0 will be available for all webos phones. ^_^
    Source please.
  7. #7  
    Kupe ...I see nothing in what I've read that wouldn't suggest otherwise. It all looks like software upgrades with nothing tying it down to hardware specific items, so I'm going to lean on the "it will be available for all webOS phones" side.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Source please.
    Maybe this will explain it better: http://www.precentral.net/?page=2.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Kupe ...I see nothing in what I've read that wouldn't suggest otherwise. It all looks like software upgrades with nothing tying it down to hardware specific items, so I'm going to lean on the "it will be available for all webOS phones" side.
    I don't disagree with your logic, but it's still speculation. By the time WebOS 2.0 comes out near the end of this year, the Pre will be passing its second birthday. That's a pretty old device to still be saddled with supporting when you're trying to go forward with a new, innovative OS on a mobile device. For example, iOS provides updates that are only partially functional on their older platforms. BB even less so. So far Android has been pretty good about backward compatibility, but there are only 1 or 2 Android devices more than 2 years old.

    Quote Originally Posted by RL
    Maybe this will explain it better: http://www.precentral.net/?page=2.
    So you answer my request for sources with a slew of WebOS articles that don't support your previous assertion. Thanks for nothing.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Source please.
    When John Rubenstein announced WebOS 2.O he only spoke of the Pre and Pixi. I'm sure you could do some google searches and find it. I'm too lazy to look for them myself right now

    As a matter of fact, as far as Palm's marketing is concerned, there is no officially announced new hardware, so WebOS 2.0, officially, is only for current phones. There IS a new phone coming, and within the month, I bet we learn all about it. Till then, WebOS 2.0 is officially only for the Pre and Pixi.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Vociferous View Post
    When John Rubenstein announced WebOS 2.O he only spoke of the Pre and Pixi. I'm sure you could do some google searches and find it. I'm too lazy to look for them myself right now

    As a matter of fact, as far as Palm's marketing is concerned, there is no officially announced new hardware, so WebOS 2.0, officially, is only for current phones. There IS a new phone coming, and within the month, I bet we learn all about it. Till then, WebOS 2.0 is officially only for the Pre and Pixi.
    Last I checked, WebOS 2.0 was 'officially' for the already announced PalmPad. Also, Rubinstein's announcement (July) was for WebOS coming out late this year. That would coincide with this new phone you describe. For now, nothing seems to point to WebOS 2.0 in the legacy phones - that's why I was asking for (and continue to ask for) sources to this assertion.
  12. #12  
    it's all a logic discussion for now, but the logic all points to goodness. for example, the SDK is in the hands of developers who only have current phones to work with, and no knowledge of any other hardware specs.

    webOS is like Linux or Windows in this regard. Eventually you may need more horsepower to make it usable, but it should be able to run on older hardware.

    Eventually there may be features that can't be offered on older platforms - but that isn't likely to be the case given the modern CPU and GPU in the Pre Plus.

    For example, the Pre on Sprint has half the memory of the Plus. Eventually there could be a day where certain features or even webOS itself wouldn't be able to run in that smaller memory. by then you will be on webOS 4 and on the Pre 6.

    Just like Windows. You can run Win7 on really old hardware, you just wouldn't like it and new hardware is cheap.

    iOS4 was the first version from Apple that isn't available to the first iPhone hardware, years after the first iPhone shipped.

    it's all good!
  13. #13  
    You sure betcha! Sorli...
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Last I checked, WebOS 2.0 was 'officially' for the already announced PalmPad.

    Sources please

    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    By the time WebOS 2.0 comes out near the end of this year, the Pre will be passing its second birthday.
    Mathematical proof please
  15. #15  
    So you answer my request for sources with a slew of WebOS articles that don't support your previous assertion. Thanks for nothing.

    Kupe, there are only speculation on whether or not 2.0 will be on the current devices, or new ones. However, I don't think we'll be seeing any new device for this year. So if 2.0 is rumoured to come out by year end...then what is it coming out on. ^_^
    Last edited by RL; 09/04/2010 at 09:44 AM.
  16. #16  
    Quote from standard story on many tech sites: "webOS in beta now for download to developers and will release to users later this year"

    There has never been a qualifier to this statement for any source (including Rahul Sood) saying this will be available to users "only if they have new equipment". It has always been a blanket statement - which makes sense considering there is no way HP or Palm will want to support 2 separate OS's. This will be an upgrade that will be backwards compatible to all webOS devices.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    By the time WebOS 2.0 comes out near the end of this year, the Pre will be passing its second birthday.
    You mean 1st birthday. It was released 6/09 (12/10 is still 6 months less than 2 years).
  17. #17  
    Of course WebOS 2.0 will be available on all Palm phones! Do you think Palm would fragment their operating system like Google did with Android? Even with future devices that have different hardware requirements the ability to keep the Operation System downward compatible would be a primary concern to a company like Palm and HP that has a limited number of devices to support.

    As for Verizon’s slow response in releasing software updates, It is obvious that Verizon is an equal opportunity slow updater as made evidence by their treatment of Blackberry and HTC. They were also slow on software updates dating back to the Treo and Centro. Unfortunately, that is the nature of Verizon.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
  18. #18  
    I dont care if 2.0 is backwards compatible...im getting my pre2 as soon as its available regardless!!!....kupe ur not gonna kill my buzz no matter what
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by dj ozone View Post
    I dont care if 2.0 is backwards compatible...im getting my pre2 as soon as its available regardless!!!....kupe ur not gonna kill my buzz no matter what
    I think Kupe's been beat at his own game unless he manages to
    1)Get Palm to immediately make official a PalmPad
    and
    2)Create a new mathematical movemenet that proves that the Pre wil be 2years old by the 1/1/2011



    Pip
    Last edited by pip smith; 09/04/2010 at 10:13 AM.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    You mean 1st birthday. It was released 6/09 (12/10 is still 6 months less than 2 years).
    I almost bit on this one too, but I believe he's referring to it's unveiling at CES, 12/2008.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions