Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 69
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    I almost bit on this one too, but I believe he's referring to it's unveiling at CES, 12/2008.
    I thought CES was ~6/1/2009 ?

    This google search is pointing at a 8/1/2009 ces. So if that is the case then Kupe would still be wrong.

    Pip
  2. #22  
    My bad, it was January 8, 2009.
  3. #23  
    Well, as a matter of fact, palms own site that introduces webos 2.0 talks specifically about 2.0 features, like 'Exhibition', which clearly uses a pam pre on a touchstone for example of feature. Pretty stupid to show people that if you DON't plan on making that happen. Webos will work for current hardware. Keep in mind that you are assuming the new features will be using the pre's current software. From my laymans view, new advances like node and db8 will make thepre feel new....softwarewise
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Last I checked, WebOS 2.0 was 'officially' for the already announced PalmPad. Also, Rubinstein's announcement (July) was for WebOS coming out late this year. That would coincide with this new phone you describe. For now, nothing seems to point to WebOS 2.0 in the legacy phones - that's why I was asking for (and continue to ask for) sources to this assertion.
    Dude, fair enough. I won't argue. I got a whole bag of told ya so in the back room. One of us will be cracking it open. Could be you, could be me. I'm cool either way.

  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Vociferous View Post
    Dude, fair enough. I won't argue. I got a whole bag of told ya so in the back room. One of us will be cracking it open. Could be you, could be me. I'm cool either way.
    Makes no nevermind to me - you can have all of my told-ya-so if you'd like. I just see a bunch of folks here posting supposition like it's the truth and I wanted a little third-party confirmation before I leapt of the cliff with the rest of the lemmings.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Makes no nevermind to me - you can have all of my told-ya-so if you'd like. I just see a bunch of folks here posting supposition like it's the truth and I wanted a little third-party confirmation before I leapt of the cliff with the rest of the lemmings.
    Hows about the official sources for the palmpad and the mathematical proof for 2 years old by years end?

    Pip
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Makes no nevermind to me - you can have all of my told-ya-so if you'd like. I just see a bunch of folks here posting supposition like it's the truth and I wanted a little third-party confirmation before I leapt of the cliff with the rest of the lemmings.
    The whole fun of being a lemming is the darn cliff leap! That's why I became a lemming in the first place.

    All kidding aside, right now, everyone at Palm/HP is busting their *** to put out something really cool as soon as possible. No one knows for sure when that will happen. Not even Rubentstien. He has a plan that he's worked on over the past three years, but he knows nothing for sure.

    He may decide at the last second to abandon the Pre with 2.0. And it's not a bad strategy. There aren't that many Pre's out there. He could put everything into a kick *** new phone. Or not. It's all up in the air until it's... not.

    My money is with all previous phones getting 2.0 and the phone becoming better, faster, with moderate battery life improvements.

    But we shall see.
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    Hows about the official sources for the palmpad and the mathematical proof for 2 years old by years end?
    I agree there is an early 2011 PalmPad announced, but what 'mathematical proof for 2 years old' are you referring to?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vociferous
    The whole fun of being a lemming is the darn cliff leap! That's why I became a lemming in the first place.

    All kidding aside, right now, everyone at Palm/HP is busting their *** to put out something really cool as soon as possible. No one knows for sure when that will happen. Not even Rubentstien. He has a plan that he's worked on over the past three years, but he knows nothing for sure.

    He may decide at the last second to abandon the Pre with 2.0. And it's not a bad strategy. There aren't that many Pre's out there. He could put everything into a kick *** new phone. Or not. It's all up in the air until it's... not.

    My money is with all previous phones getting 2.0 and the phone becoming better, faster, with moderate battery life improvements.

    But we shall see.
    You do bring up one of the challenges for putting 2.0 into a 1.x device: Performance. I presume WebOS 2.0 will have more features than 1.x - hopefully a LOT more features based on the complaints in these forums. You can't get a lot more features for nothing. With software and runtime on static hardware it's pretty much a zero-sum game: Adding more features = slowing down the device. Some of that could be compensated for by cleaning up the code to make it more efficient, but to date we've seen very little of that out of the WebOS developers.

    But you're right - we shall see.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    I agree there is an early 2011 PalmPad announced, but what 'mathematical proof for 2 years old' are you referring to?
    Again you have clearly failed to provide any official sources for this palmpad that you claim to be official, and further claim that 2.0 is specifically designed primarily for this palmpad. Yet myself have not seen any sources to stipulate this. You have always asked users to provide their sources, I can only assume that you hold the same integrity?

    You claimed that by the end of this year the pre will be 2 years old, I'm asking for proof of this because I can't seem to get the math to work for me. See your earlier post and the following replies.

    Pip
  10. rlopin's Avatar
    Posts
    441 Posts
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    You sure betcha! Sorli...
    Hey Sorli, I love reading your posts but was just curious, why do you end all of them with "Sorli..."? In the forums here and on the article comments -- it always makes me think there is another sentence coming and then I am like, "Doh!". It feels like a brain fart every time I do that. :-)
    Phones>Ericsson->iPaq->Treo700w>>PalmPre & TouchPad<<PC<-Amiga<-C64<-Vic20<-PET<Computers
  11. #31  
    webOS will be for Palm Pre and Pixi, one of the main points of it is to get the system running on as little resources as possible, removing the JVM.....
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    Again you have clearly failed to provide any official sources for this palmpad that you claim to be official, and further claim that 2.0 is specifically designed primarily for this palmpad. Yet myself have not seen any sources to stipulate this. You have always asked users to provide their sources, I can only assume that you hold the same integrity?
    Considering the 2011 WebOS Tablet was viewed as common knowledge by the regulars on these boards since 19 August, I didn't want to clutter up the thread with a repeated post. However, since you seem to have forgotten how to search, here's a link to get you started. If you want more sources, you can use the search phrase 'WebOS Tablet' in your favorite search engine - Google provided me with 1,300,000 hits, but I only chose to post up the first one.

    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    You claimed that by the end of this year the pre will be 2 years old, I'm asking for proof of this because I can't seem to get the math to work for me. See your earlier post and the following replies.
    Palm Pre: Announced 9 Jan 2009 at CES. Palm Pre's existence acknowledged in Dec 2008 (One of many, many links). Can you handle the math to see how I arrived at 2 years from that point?
  13. rlopin's Avatar
    Posts
    441 Posts
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    #33  
    I have a contact who used to work for Palm that has given me some info in the past that has turned out to be fairly accurate. Sometimes my contact's timing has been off, but otherwise reliable fact-wise.

    My contact informed me a few days ago that WebOS 2.0 would be available for the Pre and Pixi, and that there should be a new hardware anouncement in late September/ early October for a November launch.
    Phones>Ericsson->iPaq->Treo700w>>PalmPre & TouchPad<<PC<-Amiga<-C64<-Vic20<-PET<Computers
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Palm Pre: Announced 9 Jan 2009 at CES. Palm Pre's existence acknowledged in Dec 2008 (One of many, many links). Can you handle the math to see how I arrived at 2 years from that point?
    Is announced the same as having a production model?

    When did the actual production models go on sale?

    When did the phone actually arrive in stores for sale? When could you actually walk into a store and buy a Pre?

    You know the answers. Announced doesn't mean the availability. B/c it was announced in Jan 2009 doesn't mean that it was released at that time. So your two year thing is off.

    The Pre is only a year and two months old. The Pre+ is only 8 months old.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Considering the 2011 WebOS Tablet was viewed as common knowledge by the regulars on these boards since 19 August, I didn't want to clutter up the thread with a repeated post. However, since you seem to have forgotten how to search, [url='s a link[/url] to get you started. If you want more sources, you can use the search phrase 'WebOS Tablet' in your favorite search engine - Google provided me with 1,300,000 hits, but I only chose to post up the first one.
    Again you have failed to hold yourself to the same standards that you expect from others. In not one of those 1.3million hits is an official statement from Palm or HP that the PalmPad will be realesed in q1 2011, further more there is no official article stating that webOS 2.0 was designed primarily for the palmpad, I don't even think there is a speculative article suggesting that. I think you are the first to have specualted that point.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe
    Palm Pre: Announced 9 Jan 2009 at CES. Palm Pre's existence acknowledged in Dec 2008 ([url= of many, many links[/url]). Can you handle the math to see how I arrived at 2 years from that point?
    That article doesnt mention anything about the Pre. The pre was first publicly known about in January 2009 and not before, I therefore can't see how you are able to deduce that the Pre will have passed two years old by years end.

    Pip
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    Is announced the same as having a production model?

    When did the actual production models go on sale?

    When did the phone actually arrive in stores for sale? When could you actually walk into a store and buy a Pre?

    You know the answers. Announced doesn't mean the availability. B/c it was announced in Jan 2009 doesn't mean that it was released at that time. So your two year thing is off.

    The Pre is only a year and two months old. The Pre+ is only 8 months old.
    Unless Palm did some monstrous reengineering between 15 Dec 2008 and 9 Jan 2009, I'd say things didn't change too much in those intervening 3 weeks. Once the announced Palm was shown at CES, it didn't change physically at all (although it sure should have given all the engineering design problems Palm's been dealing with) between CES and release - identical specs. Conversely, WebOS probably changed a whole lot during that same 5 months since it was still clearly a work in progress when the Pre was released in June 2009.

    But if you want to believe the Pre design is only 1 year 2 months old (although if you're going to be picky, it's 1 year 3 months old tomorrow), then you're welcome to do so. And if you think the Pre+ deserves the designation of an entirely new device design, I won't try to talk you out of it. That way, when the Pre++ comes out in November (perhaps), and it happens to have all the same hardware features of the Pre and Pre+, you'll be overjoyed that you have an entirely new device on your hands.
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Unless Palm did some monstrous reengineering between 15 Dec 2008 and 9 Jan 2009, I'd say things didn't change too much in those intervening 3 weeks. Once the announced Palm was shown at CES, it didn't change physically at all (although it sure should have given all the engineering design problems Palm's been dealing with) between CES and release - identical specs. Conversely, WebOS probably changed a whole lot during that same 5 months since it was still clearly a work in progress when the Pre was released in June 2009.

    But if you want to believe the Pre design is only 1 year 2 months old (although if you're going to be picky, it's 1 year 3 months old tomorrow), then you're welcome to do so. And if you think the Pre+ deserves the designation of an entirely new device design, I won't try to talk you out of it. That way, when the Pre++ comes out in November (perhaps), and it happens to have all the same hardware features of the Pre and Pre+, you'll be overjoyed that you have an entirely new device on your hands.
    Kupe, you never answered the questions I posed but that's ok. You talked around my questions instead asking about the design and specs. But if you want to use design and specs as your basis then why not mention how the Pre+ design and specs are different than the regular Pre. But that wouldn't suit your argument. But I asked a simple question that you wanted to avoid. But maybe I wasn't clear so I'll ask again.

    Was the Pre available for purchase a couple of weeks after it was announced in Jan 2009 at CES?

    What was the first day that someone in America could actually purchase the phone?

    Now after answering those questions, can you tell me how old the Pre that actually sold to customers really is?
    Are you trying to hurt me?
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    Kupe, you never answered the questions I posed but that's ok. You talked around my questions instead asking about the design and specs. But if you want to use design and specs as your basis then why not mention how the Pre+ design and specs are different than the regular Pre. But that wouldn't suit your argument. But I asked a simple question that you wanted to avoid. But maybe I wasn't clear so I'll ask again.

    Was the Pre available for purchase a couple of weeks after it was announced in Jan 2009 at CES?

    What was the first day that someone in America could actually purchase the phone?

    Now after answering those questions, can you tell me how old the Pre that actually sold to customers really is?
    1. The Pre was unavailable for purchase 2 weeks after CES because the WebOS software was incomplete, Palm had not yet secured large-scale manufacturing support for the completed and final engineering-form device, and the device was 4 months away from FCC approval. 2. The first day the Pre was sold in the USA was 6 Jun 2009, which still proved to be too early for a WebOS device release and a month before Palm's manufacturer had established sufficient device construction and shipping capability to support steady sales.

    Your questions have no bearing on the age of the Pre's technology. Based on this glaring omission in your questioning, you left out the most important question: What is the manufacture date of the most recent Pre built?

    I'm guessing that Friday, 3 September 2010 is a reasonable date. Given that, is there any reason to update the Pre for another year? Or do you believe the the age of the Pre's technology precedes 3 Sep 2010, or 6 Jun 2009, or 9 Jan 2009?
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    1. The Pre was unavailable for purchase 2 weeks after CES because the WebOS software was incomplete, Palm had not yet secured large-scale manufacturing support for the completed and final engineering-form device, and the device was 4 months away from FCC approval. 2. The first day the Pre was sold in the USA was 6 Jun 2009, which still proved to be too early for a WebOS device release and a month before Palm's manufacturer had established sufficient device construction and shipping capability to support steady sales.

    Your questions have no bearing on the age of the Pre's technology. Based on this glaring omission in your questioning, you left out the most important question: What is the manufacture date of the most recent Pre built?

    I'm guessing that Friday, 3 September 2010 is a reasonable date. Given that, is there any reason to update the Pre for another year? Or do you believe the the age of the Pre's technology precedes 3 Sep 2010, or 6 Jun 2009, or 9 Jan 2009?
    Kupe, you're going off script. I posed my questions b/c you were quoted as saying that the Pre is 2 years old. And all that I asked was when did the device go on sale. You finally answered that question. Thank you.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    Kupe, you never answered the questions I posed but that's ok. You talked around my questions instead asking about the design and specs. But if you want to use design and specs as your basis then why not mention how the Pre+ design and specs are different than the regular Pre. But that wouldn't suit your argument. But I asked a simple question that you wanted to avoid. But maybe I wasn't clear so I'll ask again.

    Was the Pre available for purchase a couple of weeks after it was announced in Jan 2009 at CES?

    What was the first day that someone in America could actually purchase the phone?

    Now after answering those questions, can you tell me how old the Pre that actually sold to customers really is?
    Don't worry, Kupe completely ignored my last post. I think it is quite obvious now that Kupe will dodge any questions that do not support his agenda, whatever that agenda is.

    Pip
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions