Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    215 Global Posts
    Should the new Pre have a glass or plastic screen? It seems as if all the new phones are glass, but I can't tell you how many cracked screens I've seen recently on iPhones, Droids and Evos.

Despite the Pre's well documented issues, I don't believe screens cracking is one of their big problems. I can see where plastic might scratch more easily, but my Skinomi screen protector has solved that problem.

Is glass superior to plastic in terms of sensitivity? I know that, sometimes, my Pre does not respond to first touch.
    I hope they use gorilla glass, it was designed down the road from me lol
    Gorilla Glass

I hate how easy the plastic scratches... I know I should use a screen protector but I like the naked feel of my PP.
    No comment. ^_^
    Quote Originally Posted by iTz Nicholas72 View Post
    Gorilla Glass

I hate how easy the plastic scratches... I know I should use a screen protector but I like the naked feel of my PP.
    Thats What She said
    The next WebOS device should definitely have glass. Plastic screens scratch way too easily and feel cheap compared to glass.
    im told the glass also helps disipate heat more effectively
    Any ides if one is more eco-friendly than the other. That would be a good sales pitch to add in for the new WebOS phone.
    Global Posts
    215 Global Posts
    What's Gorilla glass and why doesn't everyone use it?
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Gorilla glass is extremely toughened glass (used in helicopters as said by Jobs)duno why everyone doesnt use it (cost maybe?)

Apple has patented multitouch on glass (idk how they were granted this -.-), so that could be a factor in if they use it or not.

However, if they go after Palm because they use glass they would have to be prepared for a fight against Palm because they have a huge set of patents to fight back with.

I guess it boils down to if they want to risk igniting this fight.
    tweakin every weekend and we just cant take it
    ooooo ooooohhhh we dont want no plastic

-Sublime
    I don't have a problem with breaking screens. My 1st gen iPod touch has only scratches on it despite how many times it's been dropped, thrown, kicked, or bite. Not a single crack. I would knock on wood but I almost want it to break, geez.

My LG Dare had a plastic screen, it was fine, the Pre's screen works well too.

So what does it come down to for me... what ever works the best after being tested thoroughly.
    Quote Originally Posted by iTz Nicholas72 View Post
    Gorilla Glass

I hate how easy the plastic scratches... I know I should use a protector but my girl likes the naked feel of my PP.
    Fixed haha, I had to do it
    Quote Originally Posted by eps1lon3 View Post
    Gorilla glass is extremely toughened glass (used in helicopters as said by Jobs)duno why everyone doesnt use it (cost maybe?)

Apple has patented multitouch on glass (idk how they were granted this -.-), so that could be a factor in if they use it or not.

However, if they go after Palm because they use glass they would have to be prepared for a fight against Palm because they have a huge set of patents to fight back with.

palm has the touchscreen phone dialer patented, many moons ago lol with hp's $ it would be an interesting battle
    Quote Originally Posted by eps1lon3 View Post

Apple won't risk going to battle against HPalm b/c they know that they would lose a patent fight. Apple goes after Google and Nokia b/c those two don't have the patents to hurt Apple.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Quote Originally Posted by squeezy View Post
    So what does it come down to for me... what ever works the best after being tested thoroughly.
    Pretty much.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Global Posts
    422 Global Posts
    I would probably prefer glass, but I wouldn't throw a fit if the screen was plastic again. As long as it's resolution is up to par with the competition (it will be interesting to see the screen size of the next palm phone.) I have used multiple devices, some with plastic screens, some with glass. I have been using my Pre without the invisible shield that I originally had on it for over 2 months now and do not have any scratches on the screen. When I am not using it, I put it back in the original pouch that it came with. My previous BlackBerry's (plastic screens) seemed to scratch easily. I didn't have them in a case though, so I assume that the light scratches came from sliding them in and out of my pocket numerous times.

My old iPod Touch (glass screen) had one light scratch on the screen from being stored in one of my pockets as well with no case. I guess if you're not using a case, maybe think about a screen protector if you want to avoid scratches. When I have used screen protectors on any of my devices, I have noticed that clarity and sharpness goes down.
    - Verizon Palm Pre Plus UberKernel Screenstate 500/1000
    - Microsoft Zune HD 32gb
    dont certain companies have patents for certain types of screens? hope palm gets to utilize a nice SOTA screen or at least have one thats licensed out by another company. GG sounds nice.
    The next Palm device WILL have a glass screen and be larger than the current Pre.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Glass all the way, and for god sakes please have a finger print resistant coating.

Plastic might be cheaper but it scratches way to easily and even plastic can shatter / crack.
    My pre screen is way more scratch resistant than the centro was. I have dropped it many times on tile and not a scratch anywhere. I like the form of the pre with no seem, don't think they can do that with glass
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast