Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    422 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikest View Post
    Glass all the way, and for god sakes please have a finger print resistant coating.

Plastic might be cheaper but it scratches way to easily and even plastic can shatter / crack.
    Finger print resistant coating would be great.
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    My pre screen is way more scratch resistant than the centro was. I have dropped it many times on tile and not a scratch anywhere. I like the form of the pre with no seem, don't think they can do that with glass
    I agree with you on the Pre form factor. One of my favorite things about it is that the entire front of the phone is smooth and the screen and gesture area are all one.
    - Verizon Palm Pre Plus UberKernel Screenstate 500/1000
    - Microsoft Zune HD 32gb
    They should just build them with plastic and then coat them with a permanent form of the screen protectors that people buy to cover the plastic with.

That way they are shatter and scratch resistant, and a lot lighter than the glass screens.
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    They should just build them with plastic and then coat them with a permanent form of the screen protectors that people buy to cover the plastic with.

That way they are shatter and scratch resistant, and a lot lighter than the glass screens.
    if this is possible, this
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Glass
    Maybe Palm will be the first to use Glasstic!
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    This should do nicely
    Gorilla Glass, or stick with the current scratch resistant plastic (mine has only a couple of very fine, hard too see scratches). And, for the love of God, please add a fingerprint resistant coating!!

My old Curve 8330, despite always being in it's sleeve, scratched up quite a bit. Clearly a cheap plastic covering the screen.
    Well you have to remember. If the scratches become really bad, there are ways to buff them out of the plastic, but not the glass.

By the way, this would be even better. It's real and is being used today!
    jeez $10 a square inch? Bet it's worth every penny. Put that **** on the glass house I'm living in, that way I can throw stones in it
    I have seen far fewer cracked glass screens on iOS and Android phone that I have seen cracked bezels/USB ports in Palm Pres - even with their small numbers in the marketplace. Glass and metal is definitely the way to go.
    I think they should use magnesium alloy like the new Toshiba laptops. I felt one in BestBuy and it was sooo light and the texture was really nice too.
    Quote Originally Posted by iTz Nicholas72 View Post
    I think they should use magnesium alloy like the new Toshiba laptops. I felt one in BestBuy and it was sooo light and the texture was really nice too.
    It's the best - but it adds considerably to the unit cost. Something for HP to consider none-the-less.
    Quote Originally Posted by mnotar91 View Post
    Finger print resistant coating would be great.

I agree with you on the Pre form factor. One of my favorite things about it is that the entire front of the phone is smooth and the screen and gesture area are all one.
    The "river stone" form factor is dead. It went out the door with Skillman as he left....more squared-like and glass screen is the new form factor for the next Palm device.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    The "river stone" form factor is dead. It went out the door with Skillman as he left....more squared-like and glass screen is the new form factor for the next Palm device.
    I'd rather have something that is more angular/industral like the ZuneHD over the riverstone.
    I've had my Pre 9 months and carry it in my pocket. No scratches at all. It looks just like the day I unboxed it. I'd still prefer glass on the next one.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Transparent aluminium.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eps1lon3 View Post
    Gorilla glass is extremely toughened glass (used in helicopters as said by Jobs)duno why everyone doesnt use it (cost maybe?)
    you seem to be under the impression that Gorilla Glass, and that glass the iPhone 4 uses that Jobs talked about being used in helicopters are the same thing.

Gorilla Glass is not used on the iPhone 4. It is, however, used in the Samsung Galaxy S line.

iFixit is the ones that claimed Gorilla Glass was used in the new iPhone, and they're also the ones who later said they're not so sure about that. Neither Corning (Gorilla Glass company) nor Apple have announced it as using it. Corning HAS announced that their glass is used in the Galaxy S line...
    Global Posts
    422 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    What I really meant to emphasize is that I like how the Pre's screen and gesture area are not apart from each other in any way. This can be achieved on a different form factor, it doesn't have to be "river stone."

Quote Originally Posted by iTz Nicholas72 View Post
    I'd rather have something that is more angular/industral like the ZuneHD over the riverstone.
    I have a Zune HD and agree that the industrial feel/build is nice. The thing that I would change if WebOS were on it is I would take away the home button and the bottom plastic piece and make the the gesture area. The whole front would be one smooth piece.
    - Verizon Palm Pre Plus UberKernel Screenstate 500/1000
    - Microsoft Zune HD 32gb
    That's what I like. I think the Palm design should always include the smooth front, no physical buttons of any kind. Just the gesture area.
    Global Posts
    241 Global Posts
    My screen has no scratches in a year of use, but it's my first and only phone to have a crack
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast