Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I think it be cool if it should a man walking down the sidewalk @ night. The he would talk in the background "I remember when I had nothing but a pen in the palm of my hand. I remember when I first had a phone in the palm of my hand...anywhere . How cool was that? I remember when I could first view and edit spreadsheets in the palm of my hand. I remember when I could have all the knowledge on the web... In the palm of my hand. But nothing prepared me... Nothing felt like what I have in the palm of my hand right now. The power of a computer....in the palm of my hands." then it would show the device and go black.... And say "welcome to the world of palm"

What do u guys think the next ads should be?
    If I were to make a suggestion, being the "designer" that I am, I'd get right down to every last detail, and seeing as how HP isnt paying me to do it, I'm SO not going there, however....

Generally speaking, the ads should find a way to show the single finger swiping away, swipe up to get rid of a card, press and hold to reduce card size, and WITHOUT FAIL, the swipe/scroll from left to right AND right to left with many cards/stacks to show all those cards that are open and so easily accessed.

And with the new OMAP4 A9 dual core processor, these gestures would be enhanced by silky smooth performance, with that physics engine showing the little bounces, too.

These should, IMVHO, be up front and foremost in any WebOS ad, because, its this part of the UI which is backed up by the true multitasking capabilities of WebOS that is so intuitive and easily understood by even a casual neophyte.

I mean, "even a caveman can do it"! (Apologies to Geico and the hairy dudes, sincerely).

I know, I'm just plain evil.

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Two different concepts for ads. One is to generate the buzz, get people to goto the URL that will of course be presented. It is to get people thinking, and to position in their mind that they can do cool things with the products and reflect strongly on Palm.

The second is more specific to show what those cool things are, to demonstrate the power, the capabilities, and the ease of use.

There is a reason they call these things ad campaigns, you want to present different things at different times to different people. With the goal of the sum of exposure leads to world domination.
    My only request is no more high concept ads. No generic young-ish lookers walking down the street or partying while swiping. Nothing like what's come before. Use every single one of the 30 seconds to show off features, especially distinguishing ones.

This Samsung Galaxy Tab ad is a good start. In 30 seconds, they reveal that while it can do a lot of the stuff people like with iPads, it can also do video chat and navigation, which the iPad cannot. In fact, I would've wedged Google Voice Actions in there for even more differentiation.

The next HP/Palm commercial should be full of obvious differentiation. Stacks is a good start. But you need to show more.
    the samsung one is good.. Good start to show what you can do but its still lacking in my opinion. I like the humour added at the end.

what hp and palm shouldn't be afraid to do is actually toss in a subtle attack towards the ipad and its limited functionality.. Think 'pc vs mac' commercials but actually showing the product
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb86 View Post
    the samsung one is good.. Good start to show what you can do but its still lacking in my opinion. I like the humour added at the end.

what hp and palm shouldn't be afraid to do is actually toss in a subtle attack towards the ipad and its limited functionality.. Think 'pc vs mac' commercials but actually showing the product
    Considering that the "PalmPad" is scheduled to debut around the time that the next generation of iPad hits, I think this would be a profoundly tragic mistake.

Verizon got away with it because they launched the Droid 8 months before Apple could do a refresh. HP might not even beat the 2nd-gen iPad to market.
    This is a slippery slope. It's fine to differentiate a devices capabilities, but the very nature of these kinds of devices means capability trades are made. For every jab you take at an iPhone/iPad shortcoming, there are several shortcomings on your own device that can be exploited.

And don't forget - in the world of complex devices for the masses, less is more. The market, writ large, is not interested in a laundry list of technical features/capabilities. They need to be convinced that the purchase of one of these devices will improve lifestyle. So while multi-tasking and Stacks might wow the small, technorati subset, the vast majority of the potential buyers are worried about shopping, linking up with friends/family, being entertained, and perhaps conducting the core functions of business (comms of many flavors, document sharing/viewing/editing, scheduling, journaling/note-taking).

Prove to the masses a device does something in a new, irresistible fashion, and folks will look long and hard at buying it.
    they should only run ads describing specific features. Like the Motorola ad with mobile hotspot. like the iphone ad showing facetime.

they have to specifically show things that will resonate with people. positioning and image are what wrecked the attempt to market the Pre and make an HP rescue necessary.
    the problem also lies within the fact that 95% of the people are 'sheep' imo. So there has to be a way to break that type of following
    the problem also lies within the fact that 95% of the people are 'sheep' imo. So there has to be a way to break that type of following
    they wont influence sheep with catchy slogans and creepy image ads. already proved that.

so have apple and motorola droid.
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
    Lets face it, a big part of the market is *****. Ads like the creepy woman or the guys with screens in front of them while they walk don't work simply because people don't understand what they're talking about. There's no better advertisement in my opinion that several ads where people are actually using the device, showing one of the features that make Palm different from the competition (Touchstone, multitasking [But explain it as easy as possible! No creepy ladies of screens], gestures, apps, etc).
    +1
    that's what makes iPhone ads so effective.
    Here is what I think Palm should do for their Pre 2 commercial:

Rather than trying to compete for most apps (which they will NOT win) they should convince the public that apps are old news, and that "Synergy" is the next big thing.

This would tie into WebOS 2.0 allowing developers to make Synergy apps and plugins.

So heres the commercial:

It would start out by claiming that apps are so yesturday, but not in a way that bashes a competitor (I do not like seeing a competitor being bashed in an Ad, and I don't think Palm has the brand power to do it without seeming as desperate...)

The ad would then show how in order to complete a bunch of tasks, the user would have to download a different app for each one, a different skype, msn, yahoo, foresquare, facebook chat app in order to do all these different tasks. All of these apps have to be opened and closed to see them, they only work when they are open, and they dont have a way to notify the user of status updates. Plus, you you have to learn how to use 12 different apps with different layouts, which can be a pain for beginners.

With Synergy (show Palm Pre 2) on the Palm Pre 2, all of these apps can be integrated into the phones main features, like the Phone Dialer, the Messaging application, the Calendar, and the Contact list. All the apps share the same information and space, and exist tightly integrated with the phone. No need to learn a billion different apps, no need to keep closing and opening a bunch of apps: all of your services tie right into the phone itself and are available all of the time. Plus, you can be notified of when someone enters a cool restaurant on Foresquare, or when your friend comments on your post on Facebook, without having to leave an app open.

Then say something like:

Apps: clunky, divided, unintuitive and uncommunicative.
    Synergy: Simple, unified, notified.

The Palm Pre 2 with WebOS 2.0

What do you think?
    palm should hire the same company to produce their ads that apple uses
    I have no idea, I have many fleeting ones:
    An add that starts with Give me a beat (the Janet Jackson song). Some one comes out cool with their phone like Justin Timberlake and nods to the beat. Sends the text. Camera flips over to Usher who pauses on an e-mail, camera pans into his phone and his finger and taps on his notification text from Justin (song is now at what have you done for me lately). Then he taps on foursquare switch over to both of them and some other well known celebs getting out of their rides at some arrange spot (shown on Foursquare when they had panned in. Song switches to ow, ow yeah. As they walk in someone flips open their Pre- flick the foursquare app or some other app up to close the app and look over their shoulder (saying to the camera: "I'm beginning to like this").

It's one of a series of commercials that continues to shows
    people using the phone and highlighting it's capabilities. I recommend that this one be for a young crowd and be an ongoing series. Another business professionals, and yet a third for a different market share mobile user. Rock them all at the release and keep people woundering who and what will be shown in the next series.

When you're at the end of the young series, you have a comic (hot celeb of the day) come out and say. " No this is not Justin or Ashton Cooper" He smiles at the camera "Yeah it was Justin's phone, but he was having too much Pre fun so I lifted it . The next time Justin wonder's what his Pre has done for him lately he'll know nothing cause it's gone.

Camera pans into Usher and Justin walking in ans sliding behind Chris Rock. Justin says looks like mine, Usher says beeps like yours (or whatever alert Justin has set up in "find my Pre"). Justin picks up his phone, closes find my Pre, and high-fives Usher. Chris Rock lifts his hands and looks at the two celebs saying: Is this the end! And the saga continues.
    I think HP's first market should be a carrier and its employees (and then developers). This is still easier done at Sprint IMO as they've not been Droid branded and still have a good sized palm base. You can't ignore that carrier salesmen might harbor bad thoughts of webOS devices considering the Pre's high rate of returns. (Let's not debate about whether they were high or not..it's just safer to assume it was though).

Think of it as trickle down marketing. Make a phone a dev would love to have. Get the carrier and its employees on your side. Cater to them. It'll trickle down to the end user.

Much like Apple had AT&T set up special areas for the iphone display, HP needs to do similar.

I say this because i don't think the bad marketing to end users is the main culprit for why the Pre didn't take off (it was the product, the looks, the build, lack of apps). For one, people are watching less commercials. Certainly you want better, but I do remember Sprint employees couldn't even purchase a Pre. Verizon employees wouldn't even push it because they were sold with Droid. These guys are Palm's salesforce. Those carrier stores are palm's stores.
    A lot better than those ridiculous ones before. ^_^
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I think HP's first market should be a carrier and its employees (and then developers). This is still easier done at Sprint IMO as they've not been Droid branded and still have a good sized palm base. You can't ignore that carrier salesmen might harbor bad thoughts of webOS devices considering the Pre's high rate of returns. (Let's not debate about whether they were high or not..it's just safer to assume it was though).

Think of it as trickle down marketing. Make a phone a dev would love to have. Get the carrier and its employees on your side. Cater to them. It'll trickle down to the end user.

Much like Apple had AT&T set up special areas for the iphone display, HP needs to do similar.

I say this because i don't think the bad marketing to end users is the main culprit for why the Pre didn't take off (it was the product, the looks, the build, lack of apps). For one, people are watching less commercials. Certainly you want better, but I do remember Sprint employees couldn't even purchase a Pre. Verizon employees wouldn't even push it because they were sold with Droid. These guys are Palm's salesforce. Those carrier stores are palm's stores.
    I agree with most of everything you said, but the thread is about what the next ad should be. Now that you've outlined your strategy for the carrier's salesforece, what's your ad?
    Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    I agree with most of everything you said, but the thread is about what the next ad should be. Now that you've outlined your strategy for the carrier's salesforece, what's your ad?
    No idea really without knowing the product. But i'd get away from the showing off with cute/annoying music in the background (or not..depends i guess). Still, i think the product should be the star of the show.

I think you need to start off with the premise that the reference smartphone and its features is the iphone. This is true for the mainstream and that's who these commercials target. In their minds, this is what they'll compare what is shown to them to.

So let's be helpful and help shape the outcome of that comparison. Contrast webOS strengths against those iOS weaknesses or simply what webOS does better. You don't have to be blunt and mention iphone.

For example: True Visual Multitasking Synergy. Universal chat (I like that apple named what its front facing camera will be doing (facetime) as well as naming the Retina screen). Brand the features of the phone and reinforce them. Show em off. Be specific about what makes em cool without mentioning the iword.

I'm not sure about the "Just Type" name for instance. That sounds like work. Doesn't sound fun. The whole point is the experience that multitouch is a big part of. Assistant? Turbo Search? Though i know what palm is trying to do...show people that you can start typing. Many were ignorant of universal search.
    Last edited by cardfan; 09/03/2010 at 07:56 AM.
    they feally don't need comparisons yet. They need to just tell people that the pre can do.

case in point is MHS. Through ads both sprint and verizon have now featured that droid 'does' that. Palm never mentioned in any ad that the pre plus did that since january, and for free. The public still doesn't know that.

and touchstone? Hp should be advertising that NOW. Apple recently filed a patent for wireless charging, so they will present it with the next iphone as if they invented it - even though palm will have been doing it for 2+ years by then.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast