1.    #1  
    sony has an ubiquitous brand that covers just about all things tech. looks like hp is heading in the same direction to me.
    I think the main difference could be that HP wants to integrate many of their tech items under a similar umbrella. Which is why we would see webOS on printers and things like that. Sony is tech, for sure, but's there's no synergy to their products. (pun intended)
    Yeah but sony never understood software. HP now has webOS, which is miles better than any in house sony ui
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffreb View Post
    sony has an ubiquitous brand that covers just about all things tech. looks like hp is heading in the same direction to me.
    I hope so...
    Hopefully they handle software updates better than Sony...
    But does Sony sell toasters?
    as long as they don't try to charge 50% more than the koreans for s TV, and force proprietary garbage like MemoryStick.
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    But does Sony sell toasters?
    http://www.armchairarcade.com/neo/node/1569
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rlangley21 View Post
    I think the main difference could be that HP wants to integrate many of their tech items under a similar umbrella. Which is why we would see webOS on printers and things like that. Sony is tech, for sure, but's there's no synergy to their products. (pun intended)
    A prime example is the not turning a Sony Ericson phone into a PSP game machine. Sony has come out on several occasions saying the brands were going to stay separate (with only 1 piece of news I can find stating the contrary). Before WebOS I would have picked up a Sony PSPhone in a heartbeat. It would have been the first complete portable device (imo).

HP has a way to go before it will dip its stick in all the markets Sony covers.
    > They are currently only in the laptop and phone business together. With WebOS, HP is playing with Microsoft (Windows Phone 7) at the shallow end of the portable gaming pool with Sony, Nintendo, and Apple all fighting for deep end dominance.

> The portable gaming setup could lead to the more aggressive console arena. [Pipe dream] HP has the opportunity to blend what makes Apple dominant in game developed apps and what makes consoles cool and come out with an advanced PCish console running WebOS Microsoft (Windows Phone 7). They'd be competing directly with Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft on that front. I would think they'd buy up some game studio before this happened.

I only looked at the easiest market for HP to enter that Sony is also in (entertainment systems). Really the only thing HP is missing is a cheapish central entertainment system and an easy to use multi-platform software package that integrates media across PCs, TVs, Phones, PMPs, Printers, Picture Frames, the internet and toasters. The only thing Sony is missing is the software package (which they're working on).PS3 3.30 firmware allows Remote Play on VAIO laptops | Geek.com
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3