Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    HP Is Paying $55 Million To Settle Claims That It Defrauded The US Government

At this point, HP looks like it's falling into the toilet and fast!!!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    b/c they were sued for that large price drop when the ceo left

Edit... Whoa n/m this is a different issue. Dammit, HP.
    Last edited by stung; 08/30/2010 at 10:42 PM.
    I hope before the goes down.. they give us some new hardware.
    The article is like 2 sentences long, and you're actually reading something from Gizmodo? You'd do better on Engadget Much friendlier/less biased atmosphere.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    at least he didn't sexually harass the government...
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakeeeee View Post
    The article is like 2 sentences long, and you're actually reading something from Gizmodo? You'd do better on Engadget Much friendlier/less biased atmosphere.
    I read Engadget all the time. But concerning Giz, even if short, if it's true then HP has problems.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  7.    #7  
    HP agrees to settle government kickback probe | Reuters

http://www.dailyfinance.com/story/he...ment/19614202/

Is this better for you? Looks like it indeed may have happened a while ago and they
    are just now settling.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 08/30/2010 at 11:54 PM.

I was just getting ready to start a thread about this, myself. Here's the Engadget link to their report.

I guess that is what HP meant by scale.
    Unforntunately they all get cozy and seek advantages, some get exposed while others get a pass

paidContent.org - Are Google And The White House Getting Too Cozy? - washingtonpost.com

Google Contacts Trigger Reprimand for Obama Aide - Bloomberg
    Last edited by RoverNole; 08/31/2010 at 08:34 AM.
    This is an old case related to bribes. It's settled now. Had nothing to do with Hurd. HP will only crash and burn if they keep the same lame board in place. I'll say it again: Hurd should never have been let go. The HP board actively seeks drama, and when it finds none, creates it.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    HP Is Paying $55 Million To Settle Claims That It Defrauded The US Government

At this point, HP looks like it's falling into the toilet and fast!!!
    Don't think they are going down the toilet. It's not a good thing but it a sad fact of the business world. (See the Boeing company, much of college athletics - especially successful programs, ADM, etc) The only difference is those who have been busted and those yet to be busted.

It may be that it was simply cheaper to pay than to spend money on the lawyers and endure the bad press. Your average consumer won't even remember this in 6 months - if they even know about it now. And if they post a profit next quarter, the shareholders won't care either.

C
  12.    #12  
    I don't know. HP has lost a lot of it's luster IMO. I can't respect many corporations anymore, and it now makes me hesitant to spend money on new products(I now often buy used). Looks like Fiorina was the CEO at the time, and she didn't do the company any favors either from what I remember.

I don't know. HP has lost a lot of it's luster IMO. I can't respect many corporations anymore, and it now makes me hesitant to spend money on new products(I now often buy used). Looks like Fiorina was the CEO at the time, and she didn't do the company any favors either from what I remember.
    I totally agree about the state of modern business. I remember when Microsoft was an up and coming young company. Then the whole web browser fiasco showed that they were just another company willing to do anything to game the system in their favor. (Microsofties, I'm not trying to pick on them - it is an of repeated pattern in MANY companies).

I wonder (like Diogenes) if there is any completely honest companies out there of any large size, or must you 'sell you soul' in order to find big time success.

C
    C-Note, you make great points in both posts. Phone Diva, if this about HP makes you leary of buying their products, then you will never buy anything microsoft, and did you view the articles I posted concerning google, which is one of the hottest companies on the market? The media hasnt jumped on this insider crap where many of their executives and others have been hired by the WH, and google is positioned to get what they want.
  15.    #15  
    I already know about MSFT and their crap. I remember someone reminded me of their IE conspiracy and then all that other anti-trust stuff came back to mind. Not to mention their constant price gouging.

And Google is indeed the next big evil due to their loosy goosy and questionable privacy issues, despite what they say. The LCD price fixing scheme involved yet more companies I have used. It's really depressing that everything in the civilized world seems corrupt in some manner. I just don't trust most corporations anymore.

I just don't trust most corporations anymore.
    Don't trust anyone..lol
  17.    #17  
    It's a little difficult to get through life without trusting someone. But these corporations just make it very easy not to trust them.

It's a little difficult to get through life without trusting someone. But these corporations just make it very easy not to trust them.
    Don't confuse Carly Fiorina and HP's pathetic board for the whole of HP - There are many hard-working people in the organization who are not as ethically challenged as the company's "leaders."
  19.    #19  
    The problem is the leaders represent the company. Employees are only trying to make a living and perhaps working somewhere they like. But the top people still make all the decisions. I'm betting it was not the employees who encouraged this behavior.

Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    settling $55 million to their $30 BILLION they brought in the FIRST quarter....yea HP's in trouble! With money you can buy yourself out of any trouble. See the Dell and Intel suit if you want to see REAL trouble, and even that won't bring down either company. I think i read HP has something like $15 billion in cash on hand? Every company at times has to pay fines and settlements, when they're this large.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast