Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

Here is a nice mention for a webOS tablet.

Take care,

Jay

iPad Alternatives: Tablet PC 2010 / 2011 List
    By: Peter Chubb | August 28, 2010

iPad Alternatives: Tablet PC 2010 / 2011 List : Product Reviews Net

Apple has had the tablet market all to itself this year with the iPad, which is a bit of a shock as the media hyped that 2010 was going to be the year of the tablet PC and not the netbook. We do not want to dwell on the past, let us look to the rest of the year and see what iPad alternatives we can expect for not only 2010 but 2011 as well?

The first device that springs to be mind is the Samsung Galaxy Tab, as we recently learned that they had released a teaser video. This could be the first iPad rival, but does it have what it takes? The simple answer is yes, as it has more than capable hardware and the Android 2.2 OS– but is that really enough? The tab has a 7-inch display, which seems funny, as there have been rumors that Apple could be working on an iPad of the same size.

The rest of the tablet market is a strange one, there have been a number of reviews of different tablets, but none of them will threaten the iPad any time soon. However, there are those that have the potential, but we are still in the dark as to their names, spec and release date details.

The first is the HP tablet, the latest seems to suggest that there will be two version, one running Windows 7 Enterprise and the other Palm webOS, which many believe will be a better system. Sticking with Windows 7, Microsoft is said to still be working on the Slate – although this project has been off and all since CES 2010.

Motorola and Verizon has announced that they too are working on a tablet device, and looking at their track record we could be looking at a Droid tablet and could possibly run on Android 3.0 Gingerbread.

Sticking with Android, they seem to be the ones that will offer the biggest threat to Apple, just as they do in the cell phone market. Many companies have announced that they will be backing Android in the tablet market; with some scheduled for release later this year, but most coming from the start of 2011.

RIM does not want to be left out of the party either, and rumors of a BlackBerry BlackPad show that. So we know that there are a number of Apple iPad alternatives coming, the question is – do they offer any threat?
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    It is obvious that WebOS is mentioned just in passing, and that the author doesn't take much stock in it doing very well compared to "fruit" and "robot". I think that there needs to be something about WebOS that can be showcased to the masses and create mass appeal. I just don't think that multitasking is doing it.... Maybe this should be its own thread, but I will ask, what should the selling point of WebOS be, whether existing, or whether it should be created?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyberiian View Post
    Maybe this should be its own thread, but I will ask, what should the selling point of WebOS be, whether existing, or whether it should be created?
    hi all,

This is an excellent point...let's hope that webOS 2.0 brings this to us.

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    i dont care about any android tablets, and the iPad is nice and has some sweet apps, but Im going to buy the webOS tablet when it comes out because webOS is best. Period.
    The advantages of webOS remain what they've always been: multitasking, Synergy, notifications, a future-proof OS that's both easy to develop for and (mostly) feature complete, an elegant UI with an innovative set of gestures, a far more open and developer/user-friendly development program, etc. It's what kept us webOS enthusiasts in the fold even when the platform looked like it was on its last leg and now when we know that new stuff is coming, but we have no idea when.

What webOS lacked from the very beginning until now is a company backing it with the financial and other resources to effectively market it. Of course, HP provides that backing. I'm not saying that anything's guaranteed, but given how good webOS is I simply can't imagine that with more effective promotions, better supply chain management (e.g., higher build quality, lower component costs, etc.), and more scale (e.g., the ability to push to more carriers and countries more quickly), that it won't be successful.

After playing with an iPad, I'm convinced that this remains true for tablets as well. That form factor screams out for the multitasking and other capabilities of webOS, vs. iOS, and I think with some minor tweaking for the form factor webOS could be absolutely amazing on a tablet. I think that we'll see better and more advertising to demonstrate this fact, and that people will see the value.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    The advantages of webOS remain what they've always been: multitasking, Synergy, notifications, a future-proof OS that's both easy to develop for and (mostly) feature complete, an elegant UI with an innovative set of gestures, a far more open and developer/user-friendly development program, etc. It's what kept us webOS enthusiasts in the fold even when the platform looked like it was on its last leg and now when we know that new stuff is coming, but we have no idea when.

What webOS lacked from the very beginning until now is a company backing it with the financial and other resources to effectively market it. Of course, HP provides that backing. I'm not saying that anything's guaranteed, but given how good webOS is I simply can't imagine that with more effective promotions, better supply chain management (e.g., higher build quality, lower component costs, etc.), and more scale (e.g., the ability to push to more carriers and countries more quickly), that it won't be successful.

After playing with an iPad, I'm convinced that this remains true for tablets as well. That form factor screams out for the multitasking and other capabilities of webOS, vs. iOS, and I think with some minor tweaking for the form factor webOS could be absolutely amazing on a tablet. I think that we'll see better and more advertising to demonstrate this fact, and that people will see the value.
    I completely agree with all that you say, but how is Palm/HP going to slow the momentum that "fruit" and "robot" have? I believe that word of mouth in addition to the popularity of the OS/Device, is what convinces the "technologically impared" (was that PC?) what they should buy. I guess I should have done a better job in clairifying which segment of the market I was alluding to. I guess what I'm trying to get at, is a way to appeal to the average consumer as well as maintaining the professional image....

I guess that only time will tell....
    It wasn't just the marketing - WebOS still isn't a 'complete' OS. Perhaps HP's backing will allow the WebOS team to finally fill in the gaping holes (and provide developers with a real SDK).
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    It wasn't just the marketing - WebOS still isn't a 'complete' OS. Perhaps HP's backing will allow the WebOS team to finally fill in the gaping holes (and provide developers with a real SDK).
    My point was that by the time the tablet is released, webOS should be fully fleshed out via webOS 2.0.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyberiian View Post
    I completely agree with all that you say, but how is Palm/HP going to slow the momentum that "fruit" and "robot" have? I believe that word of mouth in addition to the popularity of the OS/Device, is what convinces the "technologically impared" (was that PC?) what they should buy. I guess I should have done a better job in clairifying which segment of the market I was alluding to. I guess what I'm trying to get at, is a way to appeal to the average consumer as well as maintaining the professional image....

I guess that only time will tell....
    Two points. First, in the context of tablets, I don't think that Apple and Android have as much of a lead. In fact, Android so far has virtually _no_ lead, and I believe many, many people are waiting for alternatives to the iPad. Second, I don't think that HP has to "slow the momentum" of either Apple or Android. They just need to sell enough units to be profitable and to be a player in the mobile space. I believe that HP wants to be a strong--but not necessarily #1--player in a number of markets, of which smartphones and tablets are just two.
    Two points. First, in the context of tablets, I don't think that Apple and Android have as much of a lead. In fact, Android so far has virtually _no_ lead, and I believe many, many people are waiting for alternatives to the iPad. Second, I don't think that HP has to "slow the momentum" of either Apple or Android. They just need to sell enough units to be profitable and to be a player in the mobile space. I believe that HP wants to be a strong--but not necessarily #1--player in a number of markets, of which smartphones and tablets are just two.
    Apple may not have much of a lead, but they have a brand that is out there and is widely known. I just wish HP could have the tablet out before the holiday season, I'd love one under my Festivus pole!
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk View Post
    Apple may not have much of a lead, but they have a brand that is out there and is widely known. I just wish HP could have the tablet out before the holiday season, I'd love one under my Festivus pole!
    Agreed re: the holiday season, that would have been huge. But, HP's brand is out there as well, arguably more than Apple's (out in the world, I mean, not among the tech intelligentsia). Remember that you see HP computers and multifunction devices EVERYWHERE. HP has, by far, many more places to put a tablet than does Apple, and what people have a chance to try, they buy.
    My point was that by the time the tablet is released, webOS should be fully fleshed out via webOS 2.0.
    Well, for sure they better have a fully fleshed out OS. I don't think the marketplace is willing to give them a break after 2 strikes against them.

Remember that you see HP computers and multifunction devices EVERYWHERE. HP has, by far, many more places to put a tablet than does Apple, and what people have a chance to try, they buy.
    Very true - they're everywhere. And they're usually right next to the other discount devices with no discerning, unique characteristics to distinguish them from the rest of the pack. Luckily there will be a 17-year-old expert in the blue knit shirt with "Best Buy" emblazoned on it to help folks see the HP product's unique properties!
  13.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    HI all,

In a way, webOS will never be complete...after all technological progress allows us to continually build on prior work...after all, once the only computer game was named PONG!

Take care,

Jay
    Does anyone remember when tablets were stupid, and anything called a "pad" was even stupider? Now, it's all about cheering on one's favorite "pad" unicorn of choice. Every pad that hits the shelves is homage to the one that created the market and rules them all.

So far, the only marketing any of them can possibly have right now is, "Me too!"
  15.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Does anyone remember when tablets were stupid, and anything called a "pad" was even stupider? Now, it's all about cheering on one's favorite "pad" unicorn of choice. Every pad that hits the shelves is homage to the one that created the market and rules them all.

So far, the only marketing any of them can possibly have right now is, "Me too!"
    HI,

I think it is also b/c they are much easier to use, since they have been set free from the very cumbersome size and weight as well as the complexity of windows!

Take care,

Jay
    Outside of printers, HP has no discernible brand recognition that will entice most consumers to select it's product over another similar product from another "brand" (Lenovo, Acer, Sony, Dell, Asus, etc.). Most consumers (for laptops for example) shop by features and price point. Apple is the one brand that truly has this advantage (imo).
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post

IMO, they still don't serve much of a purpose other than an e-reader. A 7 or 10" device running the same mobile OS as a 3-4" device. I can accept the limitations of a mobile OS when i'm carrying the device in my pocket and using it as my phone.
    Thing is, when Apple introduced the iPad, they spent over an hour justifying its existence. Jobs gave several reasons why they built and released it. He outlined what Apple was trying to achieve with the device in great detail. He made it clear that if it does not accomplish those things, the device has no reason to exist. You can choose to disagree with his reasoning, but you can't say that the iPad is without a clear purpose.

Not one other, would-be, competitor has offered a single reason for its, possible, existence. They are all just green-eyed monsters named "Envy" who can't stand the thought of someone else, especially Apple, having such great success and leaving them behind. The Galaxy Tab is just another Asian KIRF running a free OS to confuse the market and do a little bottom feeding in the process.

Here is yet another example. The Vaporsphere is full of them. The fact that players like RIM and HP want to get into the space does not legitimize the practice of just putting out "me too" products without any compelling reason other than, "Apple did it. Why can't we?"
    Additionally, Apple has spent five years designing the ipad - throwing features in, throwing them out, holding some back (for updates) - identifying the ways in which consumers will use the iPad, and then optimizing competing features with things like size, price, weight and battery performance.

Pads or tablets thrown together, jammed with competing features - everything that goes into a product like this comes at the expense of another feature, so the question of what you put in vs. what you take out is critical - are doomed.

The manufacturers have very little idea of what is going to be of value to the average consumer. Except for that what iPad customers tell them.

I keep reminding people: remember when Apple launched the iPad, it came in around $2-300 LESS than industry analysts were expecting. Rocked everyone's world.

Between that and the battery life, you saw every other tablet drop off the face of development.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast