Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I don't think the peripheral manufactuers are going to be bothered with creating drivers for webOS unless HP can sell several million of these.
    Do you think HP is going to design the thing thinking they're NOT going to sell several million of them? And, don't you think that perhaps the existence of the capability to connect to so many peripherals might help reach this sales level?

Finally, keep in mind that HP themselves sell entire lines of products (digital cameras, printers, multifunction devices) that would benefit from a USB port on a webOS tablet. So, they could build one in just to support their own products, and of course they have just a little bit of influence over getting drivers written for those.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Finally, keep in mind that HP themselves sell entire lines of products (digital cameras, printers, multifunction devices) that would benefit from a USB port on a webOS tablet. So, they could build one in just to support their own products, and of course they have just a little bit of influence over getting drivers written for those.
    Remember: it might be just a little port on the outside, but it represents a structure -- space and weight -- on the inside.

Getting the right features mix for a tablet is tough - any way you look at it.

There would be a genuine rival to the iPad already, and there is not.
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    There would be a genuine rival to the iPad already, and there is not.
    Frankly, I don't think there's a genuine rival yet to the iPad because the tablet format had already been tried via Microsoft's Tablet PC platform and met with limited success. And, Apple's brilliance was noticing before anyone else that a mobile touch-based OS and a mobile processor could provide both good performance and usability and great battery life for a tablet designed as a media consumption device.

And, of course it's only relatively recently that media has been available for consumption on such a device, via things like Hulu, Netflix, Youtube, etc., along with a growing relevancy of ebooks. Even light browsing has become more relevant, along with other things that make such a tablet functional, like Facebook and Twitter where short text messages are the norm.

In this case, though, there are other platforms that are much more ready to take on the iPad, than there were smartphone platforms to take on the iPhone. There's Android, which is touch based and runs on ARM, and of course webOS, which is touch based and runs on ARM. So, in short, the rest of the industry's not quite so far behind as they were with the iPhone, and Apple's lead isn't nearly so difficult to surmount.

In short, it's not the physical design of the iPad that's so great, it's just the combination of mobile technology. HP already has a compelling design with USB, HDMI, cameras, etc., with the Slate, which is only saddled with an unfortunately OS in Win 7 (for the platform; I love Win 7 in general). All they need to do is adopt that for webOS and they'll be in great shape.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    HP already has a compelling design with USB, HDMI, cameras, etc., with the Slate, which is only saddled with an unfortunately OS in Win 7 (for the platform; I love Win 7 in general). All they need to do is adopt that for webOS and they'll be in great shape.
    Gosh - who knew it was so simple? All you need to do is mate an unused piece of hardware that looks pretty and with an untested/unproven new OS version with a nearly unmeasurable market following, and you have a winner on your hands. No need for pesky user input. None of that messy lot-of-apps to deal with. No existing ecosystem of already proven and desired capabilities. It's the 'Field of Dreams' tablet: If you build it, they will come.

What could go wrong?
    I am reminded of McDonald's and Burger King. McDonald's is a master of real estate, not hamburgers. They spend untold millions on researching locations for their next store. That is the secret to their success. They do more location research than anyone in the business. Once McDonald's finds the perfect spot, Burger King buys the closest piece of property they can get.

Right now, that is the mobile industry. Everyone holds their breath to see what Apple does next. Then, once Apple has paved the way, the KIRF industry swings into action. HP, like all the others, has no idea why they want to build a pad. They just see the benefits of all of Apple's research, and decided to build one as close to the iPad as they can get. I will continue to believe this until HP comes out with a compelling explanation for why they are in this market.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Thing is, when Apple introduced the iPad, they spent over an hour justifying its existence. Jobs gave several reasons why they built and released it. He outlined what Apple was trying to achieve with the device in great detail. He made it clear that if it does not accomplish those things, the device has no reason to exist. You can choose to disagree with his reasoning, but you can't say that the iPad is without a clear purpose.
    Yeah, i saw the tentpoles or whatever he's calling them.

To be honest, i just wanted to play around with the multitouch screen & browser on a 10" device. It looked fun. The netflix & ABC app were kinda cool too. IMO, this is the lure driving demand of ipads right now. Fun over function :P Can webos or android "pads" be fun to use?

But once i got that initial experience over with, it just wasn't getting used. Browsing was slow and limited. Apps were basically iphone apps ported over. The iWork suite was a joke.

Or think of it this way. Imagine we had dumbphones, ipads, & desktops. The iphone (or similar) comes out letting you replace an ipad , dumbphone, flip, kindle, gps unit, etc. It's great. Less crap to carry around and it goes in your pocket.

When the ipad or other pad becomes functional enough that your smartphone just can't replace it, then i'll be interested. If it becomes functional enough to replace a laptop, i'll be interested. Til then, its just a redundant device that adds to instead of replacing any device i use.

Oh well, i'm sure some disagree But i will add that i think HP has a better chance than an android pad that really needs google's hand in optimizing. HP, like Apple, can do this easier.
    Last edited by cardfan; 08/30/2010 at 01:32 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Gosh - who knew it was so simple? All you need to do is mate an unused piece of hardware that looks pretty and with an untested/unproven new OS version with a nearly unmeasurable market following, and you have a winner on your hands. No need for pesky user input. None of that messy lot-of-apps to deal with. No existing ecosystem of already proven and desired capabilities. It's the 'Field of Dreams' tablet: If you build it, they will come.

What could go wrong?
    Well, you know, if you actually read what I wrote you might conclude that I didn't say this. But of course, it's much easier to highlight one sentence and take it out of context to make a point. Kudos!
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    But once i got that initial experience over with, it just wasn't getting used. Browsing was slow and limited. Apps were basically iphone apps ported over. The iWork suite was a joke.
    I find it to be an excellent consumption/light production device, and not just for entertainment/media. Between GoodReader, iAnnotate, iThoughtsHD, InformantHD, and Documents to Go, I can get a lot of work done and provide feedback to the folks who need it no matter where I am, for ~10 hours without recharging. It's simply a fantastic business device for someone who spends a lot of time on the road whether it's long distance travel or around the city.
    Can i print from my webos tablet :v we will all see how webos does a year from now. either we will all be around still or we will be elsewhere
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
    Those claiming that HP doesn't have a rationale for a tablet clearly haven't been paying attention when Phil McKinney speaks.

HP is looking to build an ecosystem of cloud-based mobile devices and peripherals (disconnecting printers and other peripherals from PCs and connecting them to the cloud instead) utilizing webOS. Apple is clearly ahead when it comes to the specific form factor of tablet devices, but they are not ahead at all when it comes to cloud integration on that device and others. That is HP's vision for webOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by idontwan2know View Post
    Those claiming that HP doesn't have a rationale for a tablet clearly haven't been paying attention when Phil McKinney speaks.

HP is looking to build an ecosystem of cloud-based mobile devices and peripherals (disconnecting printers and other peripherals from PCs and connecting them to the cloud instead) utilizing webOS. Apple is clearly ahead when it comes to the specific form factor of tablet devices, but they are not ahead at all when it comes to cloud integration on that device and others. That is HP's vision for webOS.
    "Looking to build" is a far cry from having a functioning, usable, consumer-friendly cloud service. HP has purchased some of the bricks it needs to build its cloud, but it currently has nothing close to something like Apple's Mobile Me, as lame as that is.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    From what I can tell, the most compelling reason why people want a webOS tablet is that it isn't an iPad. Other than that, I haven't heard anything more than variations of "it would be neat." Then people start listing the features that they would want in a tablet and then say "that would be great"
    i'm in college and brought my gaming desktop with me. i dont own a laptop. personally, i would rather get a webOS tablet to bring with me to class rather than a laptop which would be more expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    "Looking to build" is a far cry from having a functioning, usable, consumer-friendly cloud service. HP has purchased some of the bricks it needs to build its cloud, but it currently has nothing close to something like Apple's Mobile Me, as lame as that is.
    webOS synergy is already more functional and useful than mobileme is or likely ever will be. Apple simply isn't interested in doing the cloud integration themselves. They have left it to providers and app developers to fill in that niche, and it's worked nicely for them so far.

It remains to be seen whether HP can do it in a compelling way that will differentiate them from the competition, but they certainly have the tools at their disposal.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Also, mobileMe is $99/year--or used to be.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12