1.    #1  
    So I was doing some quick research to answer a post as to Palm's explanation about why there is no SD card for the Pre. I remembered Matt Crowley was featured on Palm's blog and he had something to say about this topic in a facebook discussion last year.

Anyway, according to his LinkedIn profile, he just started (August) as Director of Product Management at Nokia Research Center. August is also listed as when he left Palm.

Not sure if this was reported anywhere or if it is even news-worthy, but since there has been a few articles on "The Exodus of Palm Execs", I figured I'd post this. I didn't find where p|c reported on this after a quick search. I could have missed it though. Tipped them on it in any event.

BTW, for those who don't know/recall who Matt Crowley is, here is his LinkedIn profile, the Palm blog entry and the famous "why no SD card for the Pre" discussion.

Thoughts?
    It's telling how so many key members of Palm have jumped ship at a time when everyone is acting like HP is a generous benefactor allowing Palm to operate with total autonomy.

I know people will probably minimize Crowley's role at Palm and rally behind Rahul Sood or whoever the next great hope is but brain drain is never a good thing.
    With HP moving in it does seem people are abandoning ship.
    e-cigs saved my life
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    So I was doing some quick research to answer a post as to Palm's explanation about why there is no SD card for the Pre. I remembered Matt Crowley was featured on Palm's blog and he had something to say about this topic in a facebook discussion last year.

Anyway, according to his LinkedIn profile, he just started (August) as Director of Product Management at Nokia Research Center. August is also listed as when he left Palm.

Not sure if this was reported anywhere or if it is even news-worthy, but since there has been a few articles on "The Exodus of Palm Execs", I figured I'd post this. I didn't find where p|c reported on this after a quick search. I could have missed it though. Tipped them on it in any event.

Thoughts?
    If he wasn't forced out, then I don't have a problem with it. It's a tough economy right now and he has marketable skills. That's a good thing. I can't say whether or not it's bad for Palm and HP. It's not personally bad for me, because I already have a Pre and Sprint doesn't have a new WebOS phone for me to choose.

I don't think HP bought Palm just to let the mobile phone die. So I'm missing the point. It's just a phone. I normally upgrade it every two years anyway. If nothing interesting comes out, I'll opt for a dumb phone. I don't see by his bio that he invented webOS, the card idea, I'm missing why it's important.
    I'll bet he was encouraged to move on. At HP, if you ain't an engineer, then you ain't ... going anywhere - and Matt's educational credentials would be an anathema at HP. Besides, he was mostly a marketing guy at Palm (how'd that work out for Palm? ) - HP has plenty of those kinds already.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    I'll bet he was encouraged to move on. At HP, if you ain't an engineer, then you ain't ... going anywhere - and Matt's educational credentials would be an anathema at HP. Besides, he was mostly a marketing guy at Palm (how'd that work out for Palm? ) - HP has plenty of those kinds already.
    Perhaps. But what about all those patents listed on his LinkedIn profile? Maybe it was a group effort and he simply filed the patents? Still, he seems to have some knowledge of how all this stuff works, no? Asking because I really don't know the exact process for patents.
    Perhaps. But what about all those patents listed on his LinkedIn profile? Maybe it was a group effort and he simply filed the patents? Still, he seems to have some knowledge of how all this stuff works, no? Asking because I really don't know the exact process for patents.
    When he lists skills, he lists marketing. That being the case, I'd state ideas for marketing patents would be the most he's done in that direction. He's landed with a Director job with another cell phone company. And the OP started the post with the talent that is jumping ship, not the talent that is being forced to leave. I would hazard a guess that he was a big fish in a little pond w/ Palm, but would not have that cachet in HP's scheme.

All of which is neither here or there. How does his leaving hurt those of us who already have the phone and why should we care? In addition, if he was a major player in the marketing, I can't begin to count the number of threads that decried and complained about Palm's advertising genius.

It is normal for top Execs to leave a company that is bought out and there are usually one of two major reasons: a) people leave because they'll longer have the clout, responsibility, authority (cash) of their previous position; people leave because the new management doesn't have faith in the direction they previous lead the company in. Those will skills simply leave instead of being left in a position to have to constantly prove they weren't the cause of the bought out companies demise.

It only affects the end user if the company that purchased the previous company is treating the new company like a junk company (i.e. rapping the company for it's intellectual assets and then dismantling it.)
    His skill is marketing? Maybe he should list it as a non-skill considering how poorly the marketing was at Palm last year.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    When he lists skills, he lists marketing. That being the case, I'd state ideas for marketing patents would be the most he's done in that direction.
    Well he lists more than marketing skills. He also lists...
    Quote Originally Posted by his LinkedIn profile
    * Networking - Wired: Ethernet, Routers, DHCP / Wireless: 802.11, DLNA/UPnP
    * Video - MPEG-1/2/4, H.263, H.264 [AVC], HDTV, NTSC, PAL
    * Wireless - LTE, CDMA, GSM, EVDO, UMTS, HSDPA, WiFi, Bluetooth [A2DP]
    And the patents seem more than just marketing related.
    Quote Originally Posted by his LinkedIn proifile
    Patent 7,743,396: Media Streaming Enhancements, June 22, 2010

Patent 7,617,220: Sharing Access to Content Items Using Group Information and Item Information, November 10, 2009

Patent 7,587,671: Optimal Viewing of Digital Images and Voice Annotation Transitions into Slideshows, September 08, 2009

Patent 7,584,376: Method and Apparatus for Power Management, September 1, 2009

Patent 7,559,027: Master multimedia software controls, July 7, 2009

Patent 7,516,136: Transcoding media files in a host computing device for use in a portable computing device, April 7, 2009
    Last edited by taharka; 08/29/2010 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Added linkedin source
    All of Crowley's claimed patents are shared with at least one other Palm employee (usually 2 others). Because his patents are all over the map, it's unlikely he is the technical/scientific contributor of them, but rather held the writing position on the team and marshaled the submission process. Interesting to note that all the patents were filed in the 2004-2005 timeframe (I guess Palm was very researchy then) and awarded last year during the buildup to the Pre release. And yes, according to his Linkedin resume, Crowley was the guy responsible for all the market research and marketing ideas for the Pre. Oops!
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowley's Resume
    Drive the definition and delivery of the award winning Palm Pre phone product line based on the Palm webOS platform to Sprint, Verizon, and AT&T. Own the product roadmap of future performance centric mobile consumer products. Build business plans, forecasts, and pricing for the product line. Define core product positioning and unique value propositions. Maintain competitive market intelligence information to effectively guide product differentiation in the roadmap.
    Matt's 'advanced' degree is interesting: The University of Phoenix (Wiki Link) - an online degree mill that most corporations I deal with won't accept (or reimburse their employees for). The other team members of his various patents were from the likes of Carnegie Mellon, U of Michigan, University of Electronics and Science of China, or they have years of highly technical job postings in their resumes.

It's possible he was a key contributor to the patents, but the evidence leads me to believe otherwise.
    Interesting thread... I hope you don't mind if I comment.

Yes I left Palm to head over to Nokia. I am in the research group at Nokia.

Patents at Palm were pretty straightforward to submit. The inventor(s), including myself, wrote down their concepts and if approved by an internal committee, then Palm's patent attorneys at Fenwick & West took the written documents, drawings, and then met with all inventors. After that the attorneys would work with the inventors to fine tune the wording and then they would submit the documents when complete. I love technology and I love the many different aspects of technology from silicon to hardware components, and from software cloud services to user experiences. I really like to invent with others, because for me collaboration is a lot more fun than doing it alone.

Am I not smart enough to go to Stanford, Cornell, and other distinguished schools, yep. Does that bother me, it used to. My education has always come from actually doing, not primarily reading a text book or taking a test. I honestly suck at both of those. Do I rely on those smarter than me, you bet. However, you can't rely on those smarter than yourself if you can't gain their respect. I focus my efforts on knowing how things work, knowing what is challenging to those developing the concepts, and my strengths are finding innovative ways to make the end user experience better but keep an eye on costs, complexity of design, and the business model. I also married up, so she makes me look a lot smarter...

The Palm Pre marketing flop. There is no throwing people under the bus here, since I was ultimately responsible for the entire product. My role as product manager is to make sure the entire program is successful, period. However, there is a long story here that can't be covered in a blog post or a comment thread. It might never be covered publicly. But at the end of the day, it was my baby and that is how she was born.

HP's acquisition of Palm had little to nothing to do with me leaving Palm. I had a great opportunity at Palm for more than six years. Palm/HP treated me very well. I was offered a great opportunity at Nokia to try something new. That really excited me. So, I decided it was time to move on. Was I doing some really cool things at Palm before I left, yes. Do I miss the people at Palm, very much. Am I looking forward to working directly with previous Palm alumni such as Peter Skillman, Karl Townsend, Phil McClendon, and Rob Haitani at Nokia, hell yes!

Regards,
    Matt Crowley
    appreciate your response matt... thanks for all your work. I am sure you understand our passion for Palm here can sometimes be harsh Good luck at Nokia!
    Matt - we really do appreciate you taking the time to post here and enlighten some members as to the truth in matters. It's sad how some people can draw such extreme judgments about a person they've never met by making assumptions about education and even past accomplishments. You certainly don't owe anyone explanations as to your background or abilities. Your track record (outside of the creepy Pre woman commercials) speaks for itself.

Most of us who have followed the Palm team know of you and were sad to see you leave to go to Nokia. But, we can certainly understand the feeling you get when opportunity knocks holding flowers and candy - who can say 'no'?

Personally, I'll be keeping an eye on Nokia for the future. They were a powerhouse for this industry not long ago and it will be interesting to see where all you ex-Palm guys/geniuses take it in the future. Even though we are all avid Palm fans - we certainly wish you and your team the best! Here's to hoping that Palm and Nokia are the top 2 of the 5 mobile market leaders in the very near future!
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 09/19/2010 at 03:32 AM.
    Thank you for your response. Maybe at some point in the future, all the water under the bridge will allow you to speak about the Pre Marketing... because I feel that there is a story to tell there. Good Luck at Nokia! They'll need some expertise to get some attractive devices in the upper-end smartphone sectors... But it seems like they got a bunch of it from Palm recently.

And don't be bothered by some members too much - they appear to spend time researching any and all obscure negative information related to Palm and put regular information into a bad light. Apparently well enough to coax you into responding.
    When he pulled you into the dirt, I'm positive he didn't mean it personal - you're just fair game because you worked at Palm. But normally Trolls run away to hide when the cavalry crosses their bridge like now.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 09/19/2010 at 04:46 AM. Reason: edited to keep arguments away