1.    #1  
    Windows 7 has hit it and a new pre hasnt......sort of makes me feel like we are going to be waiting until after the holidays

PS. next time you have a HP exec on the pod cast try to not talk over him...
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan078 View Post
    Windows 7 has hit it and a new pre hasnt......sort of makes me feel like we are going to be waiting until after the holidays

PS. next time you have a HP exec on the pod cast try to not talk over him...
    what hits fcc isn't relevant as you can pay to have the filing kept from being publicly released with extra fee and some red tape.
  3.    #3  
    Sounds like you know more than i do, but the last podcast made it sounds as if Raul hadn't even given his full attention to the project yet and that hard ware decisions were not finalized. Palm may have a device from their former road map, but i am still skeptical. Just seems to be a lot more Win 7 buzz/leaks (with a similar presumed release date), but they do have more hardware partners involved.
    Sounds like you know more than i do, but the last podcast made it sounds as if Raul hadn't even given his full attention to the project yet and that hard ware decisions were not finalized. Palm may have a device from their former road map, but i am still skeptical. Just seems to be a lot more Win 7 buzz/leaks (with a similar presumed release date), but they do have more hardware partners involved.
    Rahul is in charge (CTO) of HP's Global Gaming division - not hardware.
    Rahul is only about to really get involved - but he's not actually ON the team anyway. He'll act as an outside consultant on awesomeness, but actually be on the INSIDE.

I also liked what Mr. Sood said about that designer who he's worked with now being on the Palm team - not because I know the designer, but because it satisfies a bit of curiosity: it's quite likely that the Pre Pebble designer who recently left Palm HAD to go to make place for this guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    I also liked what Mr. Sood said about that designer who he's worked with now being on the Palm team - not because I know the designer, but because it satisfies a bit of curiosity: it's quite likely that the Pre Pebble designer who recently left Palm HAD to go to make place for this guy.
    That's a great observation, and makes tons of sense. It also provides some insight into future designs (although probably not the next device, which is still Palm's). We're likely to see more HP Envy than Palm Pre in future HP/Palm webOS devices.

I'm guessing that will start with the tablet, and I couldn't be more excited about the proposition. I like the Pre's Zen-like design, but frankly I think a more Envy-like design will have greater mass appeal. And, it could work incredibly well for the tablet, and would integrate very nicely into HP's mobile product line. If anyone hasn't t looked at the Envy line of notebooks, they should.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Rahul Sood said he would love come back and talk in early September when he had dived deeper into the project. I think this was kind of a hint about an annoucement but he might just like doing podcast. Its around the 40 minute mark in the podcast.
  8.    #8  
    agreed i do think there will be an announcement in Sept i just hope its not for Jan-Feb also known as CES time.
    im pretty sure the annoucement will come in sept for a late oct- nov release. I just dont think HP will wait that long to release a smartphone to the market, exp this holiday season. The reason I dont see a smartphone coming this fall is the product isnt finished and mass produced in a timely matter.
    remember he is HP gaming. On his webODradio interview he said he was going to Palm in September to learn while not getting in the way.

he is busy with more than phones, and a methodical learner. His trip to palm isn't about announcing a phone, although most thin an announcement is coming soon. I predict october.

I wish hp would run teaser ads like samsung is, but that probably isn't their style.
    Quote Originally Posted by yaggermr View Post
    Rahul Sood said he would love come back and talk in early September when he had dived deeper into the project. I think this was kind of a hint about an annoucement but he might just like doing podcast. Its around the 40 minute mark in the podcast.
    it wasn't a hint. It was that he had much to learn and questions to ask. He will have stronger opinions after learning more (like WHY the GPU isn't enabled yet).

the good thing is that he is asking the same questions we are, and he is just ramping up on homebrew one patch at a time.
    Quote Originally Posted by yaggermr View Post
    That would be great. But with the HP PRPRPR $guy$ $monitoring$ $his$ $every$ $word$, $I$'$m$ $not$ $holding$ $my$ $breath$.
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    That would be great. But with the HP PRPRPR $guy$ $monitoring$ $his$ $every$ $word$, $I$'$m$ $not$ $holding$ $my$ $breath$.
    Good point. In both interviews he had a PRPRPR $person$ $from$ $HP$ $on$ $keeping$ $him$ $to$ $very$ $narrow$ $answers$...
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
  14.    #14  
    The best part about the interview was his focus on hardware. He mentioned their strengths and their weakness and unlike Mr. Hurd he was on point. My favorite part of webOs is the homebrew and customization.

The funny thing is that Rubinstein came from apple, the phone is based on Linux, and yet it still feels like a vista era pc with hardware that just can keep up with the pretty software.

The other neat point of the podcast was when he talked about how they canabalized his company and the lessons they have learned from it (Envy is sweet but still has some flaws). Says alot that he has stayed on past his contract.

last thought i am betting on Pre Envy!
    last thought i am betting on Pre Envy!
    I kinda like the way you're thinking, but I don't think they will mix and match brand messages too much:

HP iPaq Envy <- eventually the flagship product with strong business orientation

Palm [TBA*] <- product with more general orientation

(* I wouldn't be surprised if the Pre name was going to be dropped; as far as I can tell from talking to people, it only elicits fairly bad associations.)
  16.    #16  
    At first I had the same thoughts at first about the envy name, but Rahul mentioned the envy line from vudu as well as the current line numerous times in the interview. I know it means nothing, but I think Envy will be at least tossed into the hat. It speaks premium to me at least.

I could see them easily dropping "Pre" on the other hand.
    Last edited by Titan078; 08/29/2010 at 03:35 PM. Reason: posted from my phone and it didnt go well