View Poll Results: Would you love the next Hp|Palm device(s) to be touchstone compatible?

Voters
410. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heck Yea; I love using my touchstone charger.

391 95.37%
  • No; It gets too hot when I'm using my phone, and charging at the same time.

2 0.49%
  • I don't care, I just need to see something new from Hp|Palm.

11 2.68%
  • I'm just voting because I love to vote.

6 1.46%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by P. Doeboy View Post
    Wow. I had no idea people really vouched for the touchstone like this. I thought I had a good routine but some of these posts have me feeling like my style is archaic. I use the standard charger at home and I bought the car charger. Since the cable comes out of the car adapter, I just leave it at the office to charge via usb ("just charge" by default patch ftw). I rarely need a charge during my travels, but when I do I grab the usb cable from the standard home charger and take it with me. Anyone else get by like this? Also, would there be anything to gain by discontinuing the touchstone besides heat reduction? Perhaps a new feature..
    I used to do this, minus the charge at work. I only charged at home basically. When the TS went on sale from Verizon for $10 including a car charger, I went for it. It doesn't matter to me either way when I am at home, but when I travel it allows me to use my TS/phone as a neat little alarm clock. I drive 2 hours to work, so I can charge any time almost. I overclock so my battery doesn't last as long as it could and it's nice to be able to just set the phone down and pick it back up when I want to use it. Once I got my TS, I found it was a lot easier to just set the phone on the TS and walk away. I also don't have to fool with the usb door, which I think feels to flimsy to fuss with much.
    Wow. I had no idea people really vouched for the touchstone like this. I thought I had a good routine but some of these posts have me feeling like my style is archaic. I use the standard charger at home and I bought the car charger. Since the cable comes out of the car adapter, I just leave it at the office to charge via usb ("just charge" by default patch ftw). I rarely need a charge during my travels, but when I do I grab the usb cable from the standard home charger and take it with me. Anyone else get by like this? Also, would there be anything to gain by discontinuing the touchstone besides heat reduction? Perhaps a new feature..
    But when you hook it up to your computer to charge, you have to remember to right click on the safely remove hardware and you have to plug, unplug, and open and close the little plastic cover. I know it's only a few seconds or minutes, but simply sitting your Pre down and picking it up is cleaner.

Again, think about your cordless phone w/o the charger stand or base. You don't want those extra steps just to charge a phone whose purpose is mobility. It would be stepping backwards to add cord charging to cordless phones and it would be stepping backwards to required cords to charge the Pre.
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scytherfwd View Post
    When the TS went on sale from Verizon for $10 including a car charger, I went for it.
    ok NOW we're talking. I'd give the TS a whirl too for this price. All I've ever seen is the charger priced around $50. Which is a big part of why some of these posts have me taken aback; people are talkin about having 4 or more TS's around and all I can think is "you dropped 2 Ben Franks to charge your phone?".

$10 is a lot more appealing. If I catch a deal like this, I'll make the switch myself.
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    But when you hook it up to your computer to charge, you have to remember to right click on the safely remove hardware and you have to plug, unplug, and open and close the little plastic cover. I know it's only a few seconds or minutes, but simply sitting your Pre down and picking it up is cleaner.

Again, think about your cordless phone w/o the charger stand or base. You don't want those extra steps just to charge a phone whose purpose is mobility. It would be stepping backwards to add cord charging to cordless phones and it would be stepping backwards to required cords to charge the Pre.
    Only when I have it plugged in as a USB drive do I ever do the icon click routine. But since my phone charges by default when its plugged in USB, I just plug it in and yank it out as I please. The phone doesn't complain and the computer doesn't either. But you DO make an excellent point about the home wireless phone. When you put it that way, cell phones should have been had this easy-mount-to-charge feature as a standard thing. Few and far between I've seen docks for phones, but none as cool as the TS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spydrbutt View Post
    I hate to tell you...that was a photoshoped photo.
    Yes, that was a photoshoped picture, but the inspiration for it was Rahul Sood's comment that HP is putting Touchstones in "their boardrooms." Note the plural form...
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    After almost a year with my pre i finally got a TS, and i must say i love it! So yes it would be really next if the next device was TS compatible.
    i'm sure this has been posted elsewhere already...but it looks like there are some teasers going around:

What Mysterious Device Is The CTO Of HP Playing With ?
    Looking into my crystal ball I think they'll keep the touchstone concept but the new phone will need a new stone to work with... They'll give some bs reason and make people buy it all over again. Especially reading how people have 4-7 stones.

I think not only should it be compatiable but the new phone should come with the touchstone back cover standard... This would allow anyone with a pre to use any stone right off the bar, which might sell more stones and then they could charge $20 for covers that are different colors or styles.

but I think in order to keep up with the joneses (apple, rim, and droid) they need to package the new phone right. If they have the cover standard they can sell the stone for $40 bucks. Then reduce the price of the stone 50% with new phone activation limit 2 or maybe have one stone in the box when you buy the phone and sell additional stones at $50. Also, each stone has to come with the wall charger. (Cmon palm!)

if you have a sweet kick **** phone sold at 199 with a stone in the box, with no mail in rebate, sold across all three carriers, you be hard pressed not to look at palm/hp as a serious contender.

now if they only could get some kick **** apps selection like apple has then they would be legit... Actually... They would be too legit...
    Voted. Think you should better forward it to Rubinstein. The highest people are not necessarily the best address for things like that!
    You would think this is common sense.

Should we vote on whether we want better battery life and send those results too?
    Maybe: i still think the TS heat has a negative effect on the Pre's miserable battery life compared to other smart phones.

there is a reason "keep the phone out of the heat" is the mantra for any other phone, with regards to maintaining battery life.
    I think the real lesson for Palm is that they should include the touchstone in the box with every phone, sell extras at a decent price (they are flying off the shelves at $9.99) and advertise the feature. Still the best kept secret in the smartphone world.

Instead of talking about busy moms, they should have been showing grab-n-go convenience with wireless charging. Seems so obvious, eh?
    Last edited by Workerb33; 08/30/2010 at 07:44 PM.
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    You would think this is common sense.

Should we vote on whether we want better battery life and send those results too?
    i was thinking the same thing. it's like voting if you want to retire with lots of money, or only a little money...
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    The 3 best things about the Palm Pre:

Cards
    Synergy
    Touchstone.

'nuff said.
    [twitter]_____[blog]______[im]__
    For now: Nexus One | iPad 2
    When avail. in Aus: Pre3 16GB | Touchpad 16GB

This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
    really ??! is this question even valid or necessary ?? of course it will and better have a touchstone !
    ĦṔ-ḶøØṫ-ŦḯØη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  16.    #76  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    really ??! is this question even valid or necessary ?
    More Valid than you think. These Names in the poll.. are as real as you and I. Necessary.. maybe not, but I don't won't to live on regrets. They say_ if you want something, you have to work for it. In this case, we're asking for it. Join us in making our Voice be heard. That's what we're doing.

Much Thanks to all who voted. :
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    ok NOW we're talking. I'd give the TS a whirl too for this price. All I've ever seen is the charger priced around $50. Which is a big part of why some of these posts have me taken aback; people are talkin about having 4 or more TS's around and all I can think is "you dropped 2 Ben Franks to charge your phone?".

$10 is a lot more appealing. If I catch a deal like this, I'll make the switch myself.
    for a while they were $15-$19 at Amazon.com. I bought 4 that way, one being a dud.

definitely more convenient to just plop down and have speaker-phone/clock right at hand.
    Well if they don't make it compatible you can expect to see people modding the next device to be compatible.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    hah, and yet people thing nothing of dropping two ben franks for an iPod Dock.

Why?

"It's an iPod Dock. It has the Wye Fyes."
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    That is what I am holding out for. I didn't jump on the new 4G phones because I wanted (1) WebOS and (2) Touchstone.
    Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Evo
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast