View Poll Results: Would you love the next Hp|Palm device(s) to be touchstone compatible?

Voters
410. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heck Yea; I love using my touchstone charger.

391 95.37%
  • No; It gets too hot when I'm using my phone, and charging at the same time.

2 0.49%
  • I don't care, I just need to see something new from Hp|Palm.

11 2.68%
  • I'm just voting because I love to vote.

6 1.46%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    yes!! Would be extremely happy to keep using my touchstones!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    i have my touchstone mounted in front of a vent so the air conditioning keeps it cool.
    Not exactly a good idea... condensation and electronics don't mix.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    If they improved the next gen touchstones with the ability to send/receive files from the phone, that would be awesome. I don't know if this could be done with bluetooth or not. But it would be cool to set a device down on the TS to sync files and charge.
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    I agree, if the magnetic touchstone interface interferes with having a compass like the iPhone and Android have, it's the only potential downside I can imagine. It's probably the main consideration for this poll. Given the choice, I would rather have inductive charging than the augmented reality apps I seen, like layers, steet view, etc. I haven't seen any AR apps that are really compelling so far.
    I have two, one at home and another at work. Even bought one for my GF.
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Take a bit and listen to the PalmCast Episode 117. HP really does have them in their conf. rooms and TS is here to stay for the forseeable future. So photoshopped or not it is a reality that TS's are installed there.
    Oh, I didn't know that. I hope that's a good sign for the pre predecessor.
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    If they improved the next gen touchstones with the ability to send/receive files from the phone, that would be awesome. I don't know if this could be done with bluetooth or not. But it would be cool to set a device down on the TS to sync files and charge.
    the touchstone has that capability today. It's called wifi.
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Even though I don't have a touchstone charger for my phone. (Pixi) The idea of having a touchstone charger with the next webos device... is totally awesome.
    Loving my Palm Pixi everyday.
    The touchstone was overpriced when I bought it, so it would be nice if I can still use it with the next generation of Palm phones.
    They better keep it it's one of the few good things about the Pre.
    I don't use one, so it doesn't matter to me
    I love the Touchstone, but even if I didn't I wouldn't vote to take the option away from other people who might. haha

No one is forced to use a TS, if you don't like it just plug your Pre 2 (or whatever name it ends up with) in.

Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    You can do this now if you install the SFTP packages in Preware, then set up something like Filezilla to transfer files via wifi.

Last night I transferred over a gig and a half of video to my Pre via wifi, while running Tweed, Baseball Live! and playing Angry Birds... sure drained the batter quick, but it was still awesome! haha
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    I don't understand why anyone wouldn't like it. If it's not your thing then you don't buy it, if it is then you do getting rid of it would just kill Palm's innovation and they're really the only one to an induction charger successfully.
    no on palmcast raul shood said it was in there
    [FONT="Garamond"]Dam1 J1sFONT]
    I think it would be truly backwards to not offer touchstone convenience. To have to go back to opening the little plastic cover and plug in the phone to constantly charge is ridiculous. I have two: one for the office, one for home; a third one belongs my husband for his office.

It's actually not tremendously different than the cordless phone chargers for land lines. Would anyone want to actually plug and unplug their cordless phone instead of being able to just pick the thing up and walk away when using it? I think not.
    I think the Touchstone is one of the greatest inventions ever. Can't imagine charging the phone in my car without it. However, I don't feel the need to buy 8 of them because I like to use my phone when its charging at home.
    if it means no compass... NO!
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    I like my TS but overall I'm not super hyped about it. Inductive charging is great. If the current TS is compatible with the next device, that will go in favor of the next device, but that's it. My wifes next phone will be able to be used with an inductive charging mat, and I suspect the TS cover on my phone will work as well. That means that I won't be using my TS, as it's a one device only. It'd be nice to see the future devices work with it, but they won't it isn't a deal breaker.
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Wow. I had no idea people really vouched for the touchstone like this. I thought I had a good routine but some of these posts have me feeling like my style is archaic. I use the standard charger at home and I bought the car charger. Since the cable comes out of the car adapter, I just leave it at the office to charge via usb ("just charge" by default patch ftw). I rarely need a charge during my travels, but when I do I grab the usb cable from the standard home charger and take it with me. Anyone else get by like this? Also, would there be anything to gain by discontinuing the touchstone besides heat reduction? Perhaps a new feature..
    No, at least after my experience with my Palm Pre.
    My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast