View Poll Results: Would you love the next Hp|Palm device(s) to be touchstone compatible?

Voters
410. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heck Yea; I love using my touchstone charger.

391 95.37%
  • No; It gets too hot when I'm using my phone, and charging at the same time.

2 0.49%
  • I don't care, I just need to see something new from Hp|Palm.

11 2.68%
  • I'm just voting because I love to vote.

6 1.46%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I currently own 3 touchstones (Computer desk for phone, end table for alarm clock, and car mounted for GPS), with a 4th on the way for using on my desk at my new job. The touchstone is one of the coolest phone perks I've seen in a long time. I do want that functionality with future devices if at all possible. I suppose I would settle if it wasn't there - I like WebOS more than the charger, but I really think its the combination of the little things, hardware and software, that makes Palm my platform of choice.

Now, if they do figure out how to make a WebOS Tablet play nice with the existing touchstone design, I will be thoroughly impressed.
    Palm III -> Palm M100 -> Palm VII -> Tmobile MDA (The 3 year mistake) -> Palm Pre

Hello, Palm. Good to have you back. Let's just pretend that the whole "me leaving you for WinMo" thing never happened, OK?
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    only commies would vote to get rid of the touchstone. Everyone that sees me charge ithe phone on the T/s thinks it's cool as hell. Even my friends that bought into that power mat... And to all of you that are mounting one on your bike, watchout for those potholes!
    Yes ( )

No ( )

Don't care either way (X)
    Quote Originally Posted by toyotast165 View Post
    your a photoshoped photo lol
    ? ok...
    Quote Originally Posted by Spydrbutt View Post
    I hate to tell you...that was a photoshoped photo.
    Oh no it wasn't! Catch Rahul in the Palmcast and you will have no doubt that it's here to stay.
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    I wouldn't want a phone without a TS. I have 8 total. Four are mine, one each for three of my teens and one spare. Of course that is only a spare until I find a secure way to mount it to my Harley.

They would be wise to make at least the next couple of devices backwards compatible to the current TS. Coming out with a new design is fine too just so the devices work with both.
    Rich if you really mount one to your harley I want detailed pics, being a pretty decent gearhead, I am interested even though I don't ride.

As to this poll, I refuse to vote, because if anyone doesn't want TS, they are either a troll, or well a troll. Maybe a less than 1% of folks that weren't willing to return a TS part to fix an issue, but in general anti TS would have to be trolls (or haters as I would call some).
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Oh no it wasn't! Catch Rahul in the Palmcast and you will have no doubt that it's here to stay.
    Oh yes it was. They did install them, and that does indicate that they're to stay (hallelujah) - but the picture was a pretty obvious photoshop.
    Ohhh and just have to add, maybe it's my lack of sleep and mood tonight (for me, morning for many others).... but I love the haters..... these cats that will just attempt to trash a thread for no reason. BTW, we have 5 TS's, 2 Sprint Palm Pre's, only had to replace 1 TS as was defective when shipped to us. Can TS charge at home every night with 2, in cars, and at work.... yeah I will always take that over plugging in!

OHH and WiFi Medie Sync..... (yeah you are all getting with me now).... no more cords!!!
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Does a bear ***** in the woods?
    Quote Originally Posted by Spydrbutt View Post
    I hate to tell you...that was a photoshoped photo.
    Take a bit and listen to the PalmCast Episode 117. HP really does have them in their conf. rooms and TS is here to stay for the forseeable future. So photoshopped or not it is a reality that TS's are installed there.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Rich if you really mount one to your harley I want detailed pics, being a pretty decent gearhead, I am interested even though I don't ride.
    Will do. Getting it mounted and powered isn't really the challenge. I have everything I need to do that. The challenge is ensuring my Pre (whatever HPalm WebOS device) doesn't bounce or blow off as I'm going down the road (potentially at 80+ mph).

I was really liking a particular hard case for the Pre that has a cutout in the back for TS support that really helps hold it in place. There is no way it could slide off with that case on it. It could however still bounce off if I hit a hard bump.

Now getting my TS modified with a stronger magnet might be a solution? I don't really know what that would take. I might pull the spare TS apart and look. I hadn't thought of that until I listened to the podcast with the HP Exec. this morning.

However how much magnetic field can the electronic storage handle before gettin all janky?
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    without a doubt. can't see going back to standard charging.
    My lady and I aren't even interested in upgrading to the latest phones, despite one of us being eligible, because that would mean no more Touchstones. That is such a deal breaker, I don't have the words to fully express it.

I can't remember the last time I plugged my Pre in for anything other than transferring files and I am completely uninterested in getting an Evo, iPhone or any other newer/currently unreleased device which would require me to do so.

What a friggin bummer it would be to go back to lugging and unplugging. Hell, I dislike plugging in my iPad, as it is. I don't want to add anything else to the list of wire-dependent devices.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    This is what you really mean to say; Thank you RL for such a nice poll.
    {Thank You.}

I'm a nicer person now. Have a nice day sir.
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    All I can say is if HP decides to get rid of the TS functionality for the next Palm phone I'll be bustin out the tools and adding it back myself. I have plenty of extra TS backs and I would not mind sacrificing a couple in the name of wireless charging awesomeness.

Shoot I already have to resist the strong urge to try and stick them in my other electronic devices as it is.
    Sprint Customer since 2001
    Palm User since 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    i think the more appropriate question is why would you NOT want a touchstone compatible device?
    those that want a compass in the phone are under the impression that it wouldn't be possible with a touchstone back.

Not sure about that, especially since there are "touchstone knock-offs" available for the iphone and Apple recently filed for a patent on wireless charging.

But, that's the only reason I can imagine why someone would object to wireless charging - and I don't even know if that would really require the trade off. Other than the google app that maps the stars, people are starting to build apps that map product locations on store shelves which takes LBS to a new hight of granularity. For example, I could create an on-line grocery list and then have it map my route through the store (since they purposely spread stuff out). Sounds cool, but not if I have to give up wireless charging.

I think I'm up to 7 touchstones throughout my house/car/office.
    Love the TS. It's something I can live without but why would I want to. I have three and love the "set it and forget it" aspect of it. I really hope the new phones will work with it. Makes me happy. :-)
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    I've got touchstones in the home, car, and office and wuldnt like to be without them at all. Especially in the car, I love to be able to get in and just plop my pre down on the touchstone.
    i have my touchstone mounted in front of a vent so the air conditioning keeps it cool.
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    those that want a compass in the phone are under the impression that it wouldn't be possible with a touchstone back.

Not sure about that, especially since there are "touchstone knock-offs" available for the iphone and Apple recently filed for a patent on wireless charging.

But, that's the only reason I can imagine why someone would object to wireless charging - and I don't even know if that would really require the trade off. Other than the google app that maps the stars, people are starting to build apps that map product locations on store shelves which takes LBS to a new hight of granularity. For example, I could create an on-line grocery list and then have it map my route through the store (since they purposely spread stuff out). Sounds cool, but not if I have to give up wireless charging.

I think I'm up to 7 touchstones throughout my house/car/office.
    Yeah I'm with you on this one for sure. The compass feature is cool but I would never trade my touchstone(s) for it.
    Sprint Customer since 2001
    Palm User since 2004
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast