Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Is this even possible? Now I know some people will say "yes" and offer suggestions like having a larger screen. In my opinion, that isn't the Pre's niche. If I want to carry around a TI-82 calculator-sized phone, I'd get a Droid or something. The new Samsun Galaxy is almost a full inch longer than the Pre Plus. Palm has created the sleekest-looking phone of anyone on the market, and the size is perfect.

Ask Blackberry if they like the design of the Pre. Their new phone completely rips off the Pre's design and puts it in a Blackberry-shaped package. You know your design is good when other people start copying it.

I've had my Pre Plus for a few months now and, unlike other new technologies I've bought into, I'm still in the honeymoon phase. I assume the day will come when it's just another phone to me, but I don't really see how you can improve the design.

Is it even NECESSARY to improve the design? Apple has had essentially the same hardware for each iPhone. If HP/Palm want to make NEW phones that are huge, unsightly and cumbersome, then that's fine, but I hope there's always a Pre out there for us to choose from.
    <<Thread moved to the Future!>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    There's always room for improvement.

At least that's my opinion.....
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    Is this even possible? Now I know some people will say "yes" and offer suggestions like having a larger screen. In my opinion, that isn't the Pre's niche. If I want to carry around a TI-82 calculator-sized phone, I'd get a Droid or something. The new Samsun Galaxy is almost a full inch longer than the Pre Plus. Palm has created the sleekest-looking phone of anyone on the market, and the size is perfect.

Ask Blackberry if they like the design of the Pre. Their new phone completely rips off the Pre's design and puts it in a Blackberry-shaped package. You know your design is good when other people start copying it.

I've had my Pre Plus for a few months now and, unlike other new technologies I've bought into, I'm still in the honeymoon phase. I assume the day will come when it's just another phone to me, but I don't really see how you can improve the design.
    Really?

How about putting the charging port on the BOTTOM so it can work with docks besides the Touchstone charger? And so it doesn't put stress on the plastic near the screen? And how about a sliding door a la the Epic 4G to cover the USB port instead of the flimsy garbage we have now? How about placing the mic so that if you have to cradle the phone with your shoulder, your voice isn't muffled? In fact, how about noise-canceling mics?

I mean, there is room for improvement all over the place...
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Really?

How about putting the charging port on the BOTTOM so it can work with docks besides the Touchstone charger? And so it doesn't put stress on the plastic near the screen? And how about a sliding door a la the Epic 4G to cover the USB port instead of the flimsy garbage we have now? How about placing the mic so that if you have to cradle the phone with your shoulder, your voice isn't muffled? In fact, how about noise-canceling mics?

I mean, there is room for improvement all over the place...
    Just pointing out that these "modifications" do not necessarily change the design of the current pre. Making something out of nothing seems to be your specialty. Troll on my friend.
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    There's always room for improvement.

At least that's my opinion.....
    That what my wife tells me.....

The Pre has lots going for it. I think the size is a really big plus and I would hate to see Palm not offer something in the same size category. That said the hardware was really weak. Tales of it's robustness are few and far between. In contrast you could build a house out of BB's.

I'd gladly take an "uglier" phone if it could survive a fall from my desk.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyberiian View Post
    Just pointing out that these "modifications" do not necessarily change the design of the current pre. Making something out of nothing seems to be your specialty. Troll on my friend.
    I believe you meant to say it doesn't change the form factor. Placement of ports, mics, and doors are most certainly part of the design of a device. Otherwise, NO ONE designed the Pre as there have most certainly been vertical slider smartphones prior to it hitting the market.

But I'm talking to someone who thinks pointing objective flaws that have led to return after return along with pieces of the phone falling off as "trolling".
    I think moat people want improvements in material and workmanship, not design. That and additional models for those that want larger size. Variety is good.

personally, I like my pre as long as it will last another 18 months.
    I love the size and form factor of the Pre Plus. I even like the plastic case.
    Any changes need to be on the inside with, faster processors, better radios and memory options.
    Life moves fast. Don't change a thing.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    For myself, I like the Pre a great deal, but would like it even better if it were just a hair larger. Heck, I'd like it better if it were two hairs larger. The reason: because it does need a bit bigger screen, and the keyboard could sure use some additional space.

The good thing is, that's pretty much what I'm expecting in the Pre's replacement.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    That what my wife tells me.....
    Wives are good for that, aren't they?
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    I believe you meant to say it doesn't change the form factor. Placement of ports, mics, and doors are most certainly part of the design of a device. Otherwise, NO ONE designed the Pre as there have most certainly been vertical slider smartphones prior to it hitting the market.

But I'm talking to someone who thinks pointing objective flaws that have led to return after return along with pieces of the phone falling off as "trolling".
    You can't honestly think that all of your negativity throughout the forum goes unnoticed, can you? I have never seen a comment of yours which conveys a positive thought or attitude.
    Pehaps you were right as far as form factor vs design, but it IS obvious that the OP's intent was angled at the form. Internals will always be changing, and I think it to be rather condescending of you to assume that someone would think that they wouldn't.
    I don't know how you came to the conclusion that I somehow am ok with the quirks and bugs that these phones unarguably have. My glass is half-full, and I don't over-emphasize obvious issues which I have no control over and will undoubtedly be taken care of in the next model. If not, I won't be here whining about it over and over again, I will happily find something that better suits my needs, and move on.
    You can't honestly think that all of your negativity throughout the forum goes unnoticed, can you? I have never seen a comment of yours which conveys a positive thought or attitude.
    Pehaps you were right as far as form factor vs design, but it IS obvious that the OP's intent was angled at the form. Internals will always be changing, and I think it to be rather condescending of you to assume that someone would think that they wouldn't.
    Huh? An external charging point is "internals"? Observing - as many others here who have had a spider crack originate from the USB port - that it puts undue stress on the plastic frame and flush screen is "negative"? Observing that it makes it difficult to come up with dock accessories is "negative"?

Ok.

I don't know how you came to the conclusion that I somehow am ok with the quirks and bugs that these phones unarguably have. My glass is half-full, and I don't over-emphasize obvious issues which I have no control over and will undoubtedly be taken care of in the next model.
    Wow....in a thread where the OP was asking for ways in which it could be improved, pointing out design flaws is "having my glass half-empty" and "overemphasizing" things?

If you don't want to read these suggestions - again, requested by the OP - maybe you should stay out of the thread? Just a suggestion.

If not, I won't be here whining about it over and over again, I will happily find something that better suits my needs, and move on.
    Yeah, it's obvious from your posts in this thread that you're real averse to whining and definitely say what you have to say and move on.
    Huh? An external charging point is "internals"? Observing - as many others here who have had a spider crack originate from the USB port - that it puts undue stress on the plastic frame and flush screen is "negative"? Observing that it makes it difficult to come up with dock accessories is "negative"?

Ok.

Wow....in a thread where the OP was asking for ways in which it could be improved, pointing out design flaws is "having my glass half-empty" and "overemphasizing" things?

If you don't want to read these suggestions - again, requested by the OP - maybe you should stay out of the thread? Just a suggestion.

Yeah, it's obvious from your posts in this thread that you're real averse to whining and definitely say what you have to say and move on.
    You need to re-read the OP. Never once did he ask for ways in which it could be improved, he asked about changing the shape of the device. Again I say it is obvious that the form factor of the phone was the intent.
    The ports can be moved around all you want, but isn't having a physical dock antiquated? Why would a device that is intended to be bleeding-edge require a physical connection to exchange data? They already axed the need to charge the phone with a plug, logically it seems that wireless communication docking would be next.
    If you thought I was whining, you are mistaken. I'm sure that there are other readers of this forum would agree that many of the posts made by you and a few other "negative nannies" don't add much to conversation, spewing slurrs left and right about devices we happily own. I can't speak for everyone, but I come to this place to revel in the sheer joy that is WebOS. Personally, I don't let your words keep me up at night. Enjoy your self-imprisonment and please don't lose any sleep tonight. I'm done.
    With all the stories about pre build quality, I have never had a phone that I could drop on tile floor and can't find any damage. The pre can be prety tough.
    fight! fight! fight!

Better keyboard.
    Charger placement.
    Glass screen.
    Quality over all.
    Microphone for video.
    Better camera.
    LARGER battery.
    Less heat issues.
    Easier battery removal.
    better slider.
    Larger screen. (this can be done without changing the size much. 3.5 3.7 with straighter sides and less bezel)

really the only thing to keep is the basic feel... feel in your hand they got right... the rest? not so much.
    Last edited by IcerC; 08/26/2010 at 08:12 PM.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    You need to re-read the OP. Never once did he ask for ways in which it could be improved, he asked about changing the shape of the device.
    Actually, the OP asked for ways in which the design could be improved. That is, in fact, in the title of the thread. Asking for ways in which the device could be improved seems to me to be asking for suggestions on improving the design.

There are a lot of other factors that go into the design besides the form factor. I can think of several improvements, including better microphone placement, improved tactile response on the keyboard, and an extra function button or two. None of these change the form factor by themselves, but they do change the design of the device, because they alter aspects of the device as it exists today.

I'm sure that there are other readers of this forum would agree that many of the posts made by you and a few other "negative nannies" don't add much to conversation, spewing slurrs left and right about devices we happily own.
    You deride negative comments, and yet you use words that could easily be construed as trying to start a fight. You're not adding all that much to the conversation by trying to decide for the community what YankBoy meant in his original post and then blasting someone whose understanding of the post differs from yours. Unless one of the accounts in question is a sockpuppet, I think it's better to let YankBoy explain what he meant.

In any case, threads drift. It happens on every forum and in most threads, even in Future Devices, so perhaps you can leave the backseat moderating for somewhere else.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    I love the form factor of the Pre, so no changes to the idea of a portrait slider from me. That being said, I will submit the following (which I'm sure belongs in another thread, but here you go..)

Screen: I would want to see a screen ratio of 16:9 with around double the current amount of pixels with a small bump up in screen size. This would make the phone wider for a larger physical keyboard and larger battery. OLED type display tech for better battery life and colors. I emphasize a small bump up on size, I still want it to be comfortable in the hand, I don't want a Droid/Evo size and feel.

Materials: glass and metal; no glossy plastic and nothing flimsy.

The phone still has to feel good in the hand with the screen/materials upgrade.

Buttons: I want an additional button on both the left and right spine of the device ala Blackberry with user-selectable functions. I want a nice, solid click to all buttons. I prefer to keep the center card-view button on the new device. I want the center card-view button to have multiple LED colors for various customizable indications/notifications. If there is no center button, then an LED indicator somewhere. I like the design of the vibrate-mode switch on the Pixi.

Upgraded hardware: I'm not talking about processors, memory, and camera, that's obvious (well, a better LED flash for the camera is not so obvious, which can also be used as a flashlight, but I digress...). I'm talking about speaker-phone, ear-piece, noise-cancelling microphones, USB 3.0 data transfer, Dolby headset jack, and the like. Bluetooth 3.0 or 4.0 (and more bluetooth profiles). I actually like the USB port on the side of the Pre, but prefer it be on the back half instead of the front (screen) half. The curvature of the slide has to go.

Additional hardware: let's add a digital compass, RFID chip, a TV tuner (Mobile DTV not MediaFLO), how about a solar panel (remember those calculators?), maybe a standardized accessory port (apart from the USB), maybe a bar-code scanner (which is really a better camera with software support); and say what you will, I would like to see the infrared port make a comeback if only to replace my remotes. I've seen Casio watches with barometers (and altimeters), I can't see why that wouldn't fit in a cellphone. Additional API's to go with the new hardware, duh.

Software: I'm so happy with WebOS that I can't think of much in this department. We know that more apps, more API's, etc, is coming. We all want those awesome homebrew patches incorporated into WebOS. I'm hoping for upgraded PIM apps sooner rather than later. On the other hand, I still want a desktop application as another option for data transfer/backup; maybe something that's even integrated with Amazon.

If Palm were to incorporate any one of the above ideas, I would be gratefull. I offer these ideas to Palm royalty free.
    Some of what you're asking for can be done on the existing phone. The bar-code reader just needs the new camera APIs to be released, which was promised for the fall. The GPS can provide a better altimeter than any watch (they mostly just estimate based on comparing ambient pressure to standard sea level pressure). The speakerphone on the unit is pretty good so far, though I've seen better.

The noise-canceling mics are a good idea, though.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    From what I remember reading, the fixed focus on the Pre's camera isn't the best at reading barcodes, but you're absolutely right in that in can be done, it just won't be competitive with an autofocus camera. You're right about the GPS too, that was a brain-fart on my part.
    Last edited by RafRol; 08/27/2010 at 01:11 PM.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast