Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cnote1287 View Post
    ...I just don't want to buy on par hardware, then a whole slew of phones come out with specs that blow it away and waiting another year til a new phone comes out.
    Uh...you realize that even if you by the EPIC 4G tonight, you'll have that same problem in a few months right??? So you'll still be waiting with "outdated" hw for the next year AND won't have the sweet WebOS 2.0 either. Seems like a lose-lose versus a win-lose.

Quote Originally Posted by cnote1287 View Post
    For me it depends on hardware. The android phones coming out now have to pretty top notch specs - the 1+ghz hummingbird processor, 480X800 screen res, BIGGER SCREEN, hdmi outs, sd card slots etc. if palm can come thru with hardware that BEATS the competition, not just matches them, then ill be inclined to stay. I just dont want to buy on par hardware, then a whole slew of phones come out with specs that blow it away and waiting another year til a new phone comes out.

webos is great, but really webos or android.....i like them both. hardware trumps for me.

if you are an avid webos fan and hate everything else good for you. im not bashing you, just saying what my own personal preferences are.
    Thanks for not bashing. There are also some of us who are WebOS users and like the rest of the population don't want to bounce from phone to phone learning new hardware.

They don't provide books for mobile phones that give the user a clue about how to use it. The first to mobile phones my job gave me and read the manuals used them. The third department wide phone upgrade, I reviewed the manual and couldn't figure out a quick way to connect to bluetooth or silence it while I was in meetings.

It sits in my office and I never carry it. If the job ever tries to reach me when I'm off, they'll be out of luck. I gave it to one of the supervisors last night when they had to clear our lobby and quickly connect to staff who might still be on site. It's a mobile phone that just isn't user friendly.

I understand how to operate my current Pre. I don't expect to have to relearn how to do everything with WebOS 2. Since I'm a Sprint customer, I probably will get the upgraded Pre unless it's at an outrageous price. But until I'm forced to, I won't bother to learn a new mobile OS for my personal life.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    everyone around me is getting evo's

the television ads, and tech blogs are telling me my phone is outdated.

I look down at my yr old sprint pre minus and wonder what has it not done for me yet?

I know I want a new device because I'm not immune to the voices telling me I 'need' it, but I'm still content to wait and see.

android os continues to undewhelm me.

I'm content to wait, at the very least for an announcement. At the very most to hold the new palm device in hand and decide webos is no longer for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by alhaqq View Post

I look down at my yr old sprint pre minus and wonder what has it not done for me yet?

I know I want a new device because I'm not immune to the voices telling me I 'need' it, but I'm still content to wait and see.

I'm content to wait, at the very least for an announcement. At the very most to hold the new palm device in hand and decide webos is no longer for me.
    I wish my Sprint Pre had more hard drive and more ram. I would like to not get too many cards open w/o overclocking and I'd like to load up Classic with audio books and still have room for my videos. I also wish I could have playlists for my videos.

If WebOS 2 on a new devise gives me two of the things I'm wanting, I'll buy the new device. I know safe bet since the VZW Pre plus already has two of them. However, I also want a sturdier device. Anything else I want is connected to apps and software so we'll have to see. I truly want the myBible app and Laridian stated that the SimpleBible Pro would provide it. Because the apps I want, the way I want to use them is not on other devices, I'll stick with WebOS.

Not being a developer, I'd also like to see what nifty things haven't been mentioned. Having said all that, I'll either get the new WebOS device or stick with the one I have for the next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesey View Post
    I'd take new hardware (unless it has no keyboard)
    This. Heck I switched hardware 6 months into owning it.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    um, in a word.. yes.

the power of marketing.

the power of marketing, again.
    i totally agree, it almost seems like the palm pre is a prototype
    this may not seem economical, but I want a $300 smartphone. One with the latest and greatest hardware running WebOS 2.0. One that will not be outdated in 6 months.
    im content with my sprint pre
    I hope HPalm releases just one great phone device. I cant stand how so many phones are running the Android OS. Its like the Windows of the mobile world.
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    im content with my sprint pre
    Hiya jack, I may not sound like it, but I'm content which is why I'm willing to wait until 6/2011. If this weren't my second Pre, I probably wouldn't think about it at all, but now I just want a backup phone that also has WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by RL View Post
    With all those new and exciting features that 2.0 should bring us, I'm wondering if I should even consider changing my phone. Nonetheless, a new hardware with all these new features would be super awesome. I'm looking forward to see what else HP/Palm have in store for us - in the near future.

Share your thoughts/opinions on this subject...
    The new features of webOS 2.0 won't seal the crack on the top left corner of my Pre or stop its slider from wobbling. And we still don't know how well webOS 2.0 will run on older devices. So yes, while it would be nice if webOS 2.0 made my Pre more awesome than ever, I'm going to need to upgrade to new hardware sooner or later anyway.
    I think the Pre Plus users are sitting on good hardware for webOS 2.0. The core OS changes plus the GPU utilization should give a nice speed bump. Plus if you decide to over clock you can get eve more performance.

The original Pre is a different story however, since 256MB of RAM is too limiting. WebOS needs 512MB to shine, comp cache enabled or not.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    ya..
    I love my Pre :P

Follow me on Twitter!
    Thinner, for sexiness. Wider, for better keyboard. Other than that, I like the Pre design.

Oh, and one more thing, I actually want the button back. Like, on the Sprint Pre. It gives me a place to rest my thumb while gaming or watching a movie
    What if webOS 2.0 was set to be released with a new Hp tablet and not a new Pre? Could (would) HP/Palm be so cruel?
    Global Posts
    215 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    That what my wife tells me.....

The Pre has lots going for it. I think the size is a really big plus and I would hate to see Palm not offer something in the same size category. That said the hardware was really weak. Tales of it's robustness are few and far between. In contrast you could build a house out of BB's.

I'd gladly take an "uglier" phone if it could survive a fall from my desk.
    So you're saying size DOES matter?

P.S. I had to.
    Sprint Palm 2 - Developer Mode - 2.1.0
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    Why do we absolutely need new hardware? The iPhone's hardware has remained largely unchanged.
    Except for new cameras (2) w/LED flash, display boasts 4 times the pixels, new glass for the screen, a new processor, 2 microphones, the infamous stainless steel band, a thinner body...

True the form factor is not greatly changed, but in 1 year, they changed quite a bit w/o even discussing the battery & software.

Right now, the Palm Pre is popular here, but we have to be realistic. The market share of the Pre is horrible. If we want the phone to gain market share (or if you don't, trust me when I say HP does), there needs to be both hardware & software changes. webOS 2.0 is a nice start.
    what does the new Palm phone design absolutely have to have? It has to NOT have a slider. And not have a format like the pixi. So, it has to have a virtual keyboard. Why? I am tired of having to always need two hands to answer my phone when someone calls me (especially annoying when driving) - because of the dang "sleeping bag/sleeve" case or whatever you want to call it. Such a pain always taking it out of it and putting it back in. The only times I've dropped my Pre are when I'm either taking it out or putting it back in the sleeve. By far, to me, the most annoying aspect of the Pre. With the slider, any case is way to chunky and awkward.
    Twitter: adamcarter
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast