Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    What are you talking about Willis? Of course! The whole point of 2.0 is the introduction of new hardware with new OS. At the same time, it seems like the old Pre's will be able to upgrade to 2.0
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    I also believe they need more form factors if they want to seriously compete in the smartphone market. Not everyone wants a vertical slider with a physical keyboard...
    You can please some of the people all of the time.....

You know the rest. I doubt HPalm will come out with 4 different form factors to try and "please" everyone. Sometimes you should stick with what you know. Heck, look at the 4 door Porsche.
    Quote Originally Posted by 9KRacing View Post
    You can please some of the people all of the time.....

You know the rest. I doubt HPalm will come out with 4 different form factors to try and "please" everyone. Sometimes you should stick with what you know. Heck, look at the 4 door Porsche.
    I'm not saying they need to please everyone... Just that giving people more options would be a great idea. I think a candybar form factor would be a great addition.
    I definitely need new hardware. Also, no mention of GPU support for 2.0. I hope it's just an unmentioned feature.
    yes. it's made obvious by overclocking that webOS needs more in the way of hardware to work as it was meant to. besides that, the pre hardware --and i seem to be one of the few who drops mine all the time, and does everything else bad, with almost none of the common issues-- sucks. okay, maybe not sucks. but, definitely "is not good."

also, we need something current hardware-wise so that people will want to buy it, realize what they are missing out on with webOS, and start putting some $ in Palm's direction. then we'll get more devs on board, etc., etc...

with current (better yet, ahead of the curve) hardware, webOS2.0 and beyond, and a community like this, Palm can indeed build the "anything killer."

HP $, do your thing!
    Just Type totally hints at the fact that the next device (or one of the next devices) will not have a physical keyboard. what would be the point of throwing the just type bar on there if all you really had to do was 'just type' on a physical keyboard.
    Moto Razr>>BlackBerry 8703e>>Moto Q>>Blackberry Curve 8330>>Blackberry Storm>>Palm Pre +
    IMO i would just like an updated Pre +, i loveeee its form factor.
    A little bigger screen. And by little i mean like just up to a 3.2 size.
    Glass Screen, i prefer glass oh so much to plastic.
    Faster CPU
    Better Hardware build
    And lastly a little better/bigger/clickier (like the pixi's) physical keyboard
    Current: Palm Pre 2
    History: [Palm] Pre Plus - [IOS] iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G - [Blackberry] Pearl 8120, Storm 9530, Bold 9000, Bold 9700, Torch 9800 - [WP7] HTC HD7S - [WM] HTC Fuze - [Android] HTC Aria
    Quote Originally Posted by autodidact View Post
    Don't see them fixing the (lack of) speed experience with a software update, so yes we NEED new hardware. It will also generate nessecary buzz to increase sales.
    It would if the release enabled the GPU for rendering the interface. I think they're just touting new features and not necessarily all the improvements.
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    only if it needs a faster processor to be usable.

I sure hope they clock the cpu up to 1ghz as the 2.0 default even on older hardware. If it doesn't lag, I will stick with my Pre.
    You really think HPalm would up the speed to 1ghz.
    You're kidding right!

They would NEVER do that. They won't clock it to it's rated max let alone overclock it.
    At stock speed, my Sprint Pre is fine and perfectly workable. But with the uberKernel 800mHz overclock, it's smooth like butter. I'd hope that any new hardware would be running at least that.
    I love my Pre, I've had it since April. I like the fact that it is small & light.
    I like to get two or more years out of a phone (that's just me). I hope the new phones stay compact like the Pre. I don't need a bigger screen or anything.
    Topic is slightly misleading. Palm has been very positive and seems to want to support as many devices as possible on one platform. With that said, they have never noted that our first generations will become obsolete in their vision. They want as many devices as possible running webOS. I think it will be up to the user to decide if they need to upgrade. Personally I will be because my device is slowly becoming inoperable.
    Quote Originally Posted by iTz Nicholas72 View Post
    You really think HPalm would up the speed to 1ghz.
    You're kidding right!

They would NEVER do that. They won't clock it to it's rated max let alone overclock it.
    That's exactly why we need new hardware.
    I agree that the only good thing a new phone would give us is hardware to match this amazing OS. The other bells and whistles are great, but not necessary. I am going to have a wait and see approach with all this.

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    Yes need a new phone because the build quality and battery life of the current iteration is a joke and a half.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    That's exactly why we need new hardware.
    Sorry but that's not accurate. Ask any long time IT professional that deals with systems and database structures and they will tell you that code optimization is the fastest, way to a faster user experience (and the necessary saving of $$ on additional server infrastructure.

Just last year we recoded an interface from our SAP system into one of our 3rd party interfaces that increased performance 4000% (benchmarked, not a typo) The users are now able to process 25,000 requests and hour versus 5-10, we reduced their turnaround timeframe from 3 days to a couple of hours. Running on the same "outdated" servers they were screaming to be replaced.

You simply CANNOT count out what HPalm is planning with WebOS2.0.
    dear lord yes, just some solid hardware, I hope there is still a slide out keyboard..just one that wont make the phone split in half, and a faster cpu, so I do not have to overclock,
    Yes absolutely. My pre has survived for well over a year. The longest i have gone with a phone without changing it, and unfortunately it has not held up. What started with the crack in the usb door has turned into a full spider web crack and break of my front screen . I love my pre and with uberkernal running at 1ghz it was like a new phone.

New hardware is needed asap, the evo is no longer on back order epic 4g just came out and i know i'm not the only one who definitely wants to wait for the next palm phone but might not be able to because of hardware failure.
    For me it depends on hardware. The android phones coming out now have to pretty top notch specs - the 1+ghz hummingbird processor, 480X800 screen res, BIGGER SCREEN, hdmi outs, sd card slots etc. if palm can come thru with hardware that BEATS the competition, not just matches them, then ill be inclined to stay. I just dont want to buy on par hardware, then a whole slew of phones come out with specs that blow it away and waiting another year til a new phone comes out.

webos is great, but really webos or android.....i like them both. hardware trumps for me.

if you are an avid webos fan and hate everything else good for you. im not bashing you, just saying what my own personal preferences are.
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    In one of the palmCasts Live, I believe it was Rahul Sood who said the new software drives better/new hardware.

Though many of us like the current form factor & would be satisfied w/just software/OS updates, to attract new customers, HP/Palm also has to step up the hardware. Even looking at this thread, though, most of us (myself included) prefers upgraded hardware.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast