Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 293
  1. #101  
    Quote Originally Posted by saluki42 View Post
    A lot of people saying that a portrait slider can't have a 4+" screen seem to have forgotten about this:

    Dell Lightening
    I've wanted the Pre2/Post/Prenvy/whatever to look like that phone since those images came out.

    Of course now I want slightly better internals, that that thing is SEXY looking, and I think the portrait slider with that size screen would be amazing.

    At least that's my preference. Any of the better 'choppers want to put some WebOS screen grabs on that Lightning photo for me?
  2. #102  
    Quote Originally Posted by toasterthegamer View Post
    -1 I really liked the sound of the super thin device .5" was so nice sounding.. I hope it doesn't look like a palm pre thats all I have to say.

    -Toaster
    I don't care too much about what it looks like, but I swear if it's another iphonesqe look I am going to go insane. every phone has the SAME look with sligt modifications.. droid x, samsung galaxy, most dumbphone touchscreens evo, windows phone is doing something nice by having a good amount of not so iphone looking phones. samsung epic is sligtly different as it is arched which is nice shape change. but seriously phones need some revamp pres look is different thoug I kinda like the idea of an epics lines with the pre's curvysides so like a more pepplesqe epic type form would be nice. palms design is about nature thus why the devices have a curvy look. and fit in the hand comfortably curious what would everyone like their prenvy+c40proroadrunner to look like?
  3. #103  
    everyone keeps saying 480 x 960 except that's not the resolution I believe saw in the rumors and is NOT the iphones resoultion. The purpose from what I have heard, behind that res is to make scaling easier. And the origioanl res was 320 by 480. Thus the retina display is 640 by 960. This may or may not be retina but wil be nicer then even the evos res, and will make apps not look distorted because 4 pixels can be used to generate one so that the apps can look proper. I wonder how that works with android?
  4. #104  
    I posted this to Jackson on his web site:

    First, thanks for trying to provide us WebOS users with more information. Truly!

    Now, Im a little confused, so perhaps you can clarify:

    1, Palm had 2 concept designs: a portrait and landscape designer with certain hardware capailities, and then HP came along and, if I am reading the above correctly, they INCREASED the minimum hardware requirement specs, but allowed Palm to continue along with the two different keyboard form factors to test, and that gave birth to the portrait form factor phone with the higher (HP mandated) specs to be the one that is slated to be the next WebOS device released?

    2. The HP spec of 1.2 ghz processor cant happen in an OMAP 4 this year.. they are only producing the 4430 in production quantities this year, which is a dual core, energy saving chip that can be clocked up to 1 ghz. To be fair, though, this is FAR superior to any single core processor at any speed up to around 1.6 ghz, but, can you comment on this?

    Thanks!


    Here was his repsonse:

    .#41 written by supersonical

    Hi, Palm was testing both a portrait and landscape slider. HP introduced a more slate type of phone, that had the specs they would like to see in one of the sliders. HP has provided the most updates to the portrait slider, atleast software wise, and we expect to see some of the specs from the slate type to be carried over.

    The 1.2 ghz processor was being used in the slate “prototype form” phone. I have not the slightest clue what processeor it was, but i can say it was a 1.2ghz.

    We are trying to get some snap shots of the portrait slider to have for you guys! Please bare with us! THANKS!


    Just sharing, and thought it would be of interest, particularly the clarification of his assertion of the original 2 prototypes, which then had a 3rd prototype "slab" form factor, with HP demanded specs , including a 1.2 ghz CPU.

    He also shed some light on what he thinks is coming.. the portrait slider with some of the adapted/upgraded specs from the HP slab prototype.

    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

  5. #105  
    Quote Originally Posted by rexalbel View Post
    everyone keeps saying 480 x 960 except that's not the resolution I believe saw in the rumors and is NOT the iphones resoultion. The purpose from what I have heard, behind that res is to make scaling easier. And the origioanl res was 320 by 480. Thus the retina display is 640 by 960. This may or may not be retina but wil be nicer then even the evos res, and will make apps not look distorted because 4 pixels can be used to generate one so that the apps can look proper. I wonder how that works with android?
    You are correct - the rumored Pre2 screen resolution matches that of the iPhone4: 960 x 640 pixels, however, the iPhone has a physical screen size of 3.5" diagnal, while the rumored Pre2 will be anywhere from 3.7 - 4", according to which rumor you have heard, therefore, the iPhone will still have a higher quality screen (higher screen density - pixels per inch).

    Not to say, of course, that the Pre2 would have a deficient display.. on the contrary, it will be incredibly sharp with smoother and finer detail than any other smartphone display we know of today, aside from the iPhone 4, however, it will be a bigger display size than the iPhone 4, by at least .2" -.5" diagnally, which, if you pay attention to the majority of the exhibited demand for smartphones today, zshould e very well recieved by the masses as they all seem to demanding the larger screen sizes (HD2, Evo, Droid Incredible, Galaxy, etc..).
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

  6. mike5's Avatar
    Posts
    762 Posts
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    #106  
    For those that didn't know, Epic will be DLNA. Android I know, but...
  7. #107  
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    I posted this to Jackson on his web site:

    First, thanks for trying to provide us WebOS users with more information. Truly!

    Now, Im a little confused, so perhaps you can clarify:

    1, Palm had 2 concept designs: a portrait and landscape designer with certain hardware capailities, and then HP came along and, if I am reading the above correctly, they INCREASED the minimum hardware requirement specs, but allowed Palm to continue along with the two different keyboard form factors to test, and that gave birth to the portrait form factor phone with the higher (HP mandated) specs to be the one that is slated to be the next WebOS device released?

    2. The HP spec of 1.2 ghz processor cant happen in an OMAP 4 this year.. they are only producing the 4430 in production quantities this year, which is a dual core, energy saving chip that can be clocked up to 1 ghz. To be fair, though, this is FAR superior to any single core processor at any speed up to around 1.6 ghz, but, can you comment on this?

    Thanks!


    Here was his repsonse:

    .#41 written by supersonical

    Hi, Palm was testing both a portrait and landscape slider. HP introduced a more slate type of phone, that had the specs they would like to see in one of the sliders. HP has provided the most updates to the portrait slider, atleast software wise, and we expect to see some of the specs from the slate type to be carried over.

    The 1.2 ghz processor was being used in the slate “prototype form” phone. I have not the slightest clue what processeor it was, but i can say it was a 1.2ghz.

    We are trying to get some snap shots of the portrait slider to have for you guys! Please bare with us! THANKS!


    Just sharing, and thought it would be of interest, particularly the clarification of his assertion of the original 2 prototypes, which then had a 3rd prototype "slab" form factor, with HP demanded specs , including a 1.2 ghz CPU.

    He also shed some light on what he thinks is coming.. the portrait slider with some of the adapted/upgraded specs from the HP slab prototype.

    thats interesting. A pic would be sweet tho.
  8. #108  
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    The HP spec of 1.2 ghz processor cant happen in an OMAP 4 this year.. they are only producing the 4430 in production quantities this year
    I've seen you mention this in a couple of places, and I've been looking around trying to find confirmation. TI was sampling both of them earlier this year, and they're apparently nearly identical save for the speed. If that's the case, as I mentioned elsewhere, the chips that are stable at higher clockspeeds are likely to get the 4440 model number and those that need a little less juice to be stable will get the 4430 model number. A number of other sites have said that both chips will be shipping later this year.

    That is, of course, unless you've seen something else.
  9. #109  
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Blank View Post
    I've seen you mention this in a couple of places, and I've been looking around trying to find confirmation. TI was sampling both of them earlier this year, and they're apparently nearly identical save for the speed. If that's the case, as I mentioned elsewhere, the chips that are stable at higher clockspeeds are likely to get the 4440 model number and those that need a little less juice to be stable will get the 4430 model number. A number of other sites have said that both chips will be shipping later this year.

    That is, of course, unless you've seen something else.
    Martin, I cant rememer, for the life of me, where I read this; if I do, I will amend this post with it, but, for now, your logic is a good and safe bet to follow, I would think.

    It would be terrific if the Pre2 is getting the higher clock speed OMAP4 CPU, though - once again, with a late Q3 announcement and a Q4 launch, they'd certainly be one of the first, if not THE first, with such power under the hood, and the energy efficiency to come along with it.

    IF this rumor is true.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

  10. #110  
    I'm curious as to how a 4" portrait slider would rest in the hand when typing. The pre is top heavy as it is...
  11. #111  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    I'm curious as to how a 4" portrait slider would rest in the hand when typing. The pre is top heavy as it is...
    Good question!

    I think the answer lies in the aspect ratio of the screen, believe it or not.

    Going from a 3.1" diagnal now, to a 4" diagnal with Pre2 is a .9" diference in diagnal size.

    Because the aspect ratio of the screen is rumored to be the same for the Pre2 (960 x 640 = 3:2) as the current Pre (480 x 320 = 3:2), MOST of the increased dimension will be felt in the width (shorter dimension), and not the length/height of the phone (longer dimension).

    That being the case, the keyboard can possibly become more efficient in its layout, with less rows, and more keys on each row, which would decrease potential additional "top heaviness" some might feel.

    Now, remember, it's MORE likely that the Pre2 will have a 3.7" or 3.8" diagnal, according to Supersonical's rumor, as that is the device that originally had the vertical slider on it - the 4" diagnal screen requested by HP was a slab device (no keyboard), and his information indicated that they took some of the specs (presumed to be resolution, CPU, etc. ) and upgraded the portrait slider that Palm already had been working on, and THAT is the device that will be introduced, first.

    My personal thought (and, I could be way wrong, but, it just seems to be right, at this point) is that the 3.7"/3.8" is actually that sweet spot that will satisfy more users than not, especially given the slide out portrait keyboard, to add to that nice screen size - this is where I bellieve the majority of users will fall into being able to work comfortably with.

    However, at one end of the spectrum are users with very small hands/fingers, and at the other side will be those with larger hands/fingers.. and who knows just how they will feel?

    Last edited by LCGuy; 08/28/2010 at 04:48 PM.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

  12. #112  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    I'm curious as to how a 4" portrait slider would rest in the hand when typing. The pre is top heavy as it is...
    well the dell lightning is 4.1 inch and with a portrait slider, so im pretty sure it can be done, because the device looking at the pictures looks very nice. Plus you have to think this time around they will have the expensive hardware to do it better then the pre too.
  13. #113  
    What does everyone think the most likely physical dimensions of the phone would be with a 4" display? I am thinking around 4.5" x 2.75" closed. Any more accurate math?
    - Jeff
    Palm Pre- and a 32 GB TouchPad.
  14. #114  
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Blank View Post
    I don't understand why all of you are getting jazzed about the idea of the word "envy" being in the name. It's the name of a phone from LG that Verizon IS STILL SELLING.

    It's not going to happen. Pick another name to get excited over.
    U Mad?
  15. #115  
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    Now, remember, it's MORE likely that the Pre2 will have a 3.7" or 3.8" diagnal, according to Supersonical's rumor, as that is the device that originally had the vertical slider on it - the 4" diagnal screen requested by HP was a slab device (no keyboard), and his information indicated that they took some of the specs (presumed to be resolution, CPU, etc. ) and upgraded the portrait slider that Palm already had been working on, and THAT is the device that will be introduced, first.
    Within the context of this particular rumor, I think this is what's most plausible. It's also what I'd love to see--a just slightly larger Pre-style form factor with a bigger screen and more room for an improved keyboard.

    In fact, with a 960X640 resolution, it would be just about perfection as far as I'm concerned.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  16. #116  
    A 3.7-3.8" screen with a 3:2 screen ration is exactly like the Palm TX.

    After 5 years, will I finally be able to retire my TX?

    I personally want a 4" slab device with a 960x640 screen, but I'll take the portrait slider if the screen is like the TX.

    If I have to live with a physical keyboard, at least make it so the device is thin, and the keys not too hard to press. I find on screen keyboards so pleasing to the fingers. I don't want to wind up with Blackberry thumbs!

    Finally, the postal stamp sized screens will be gone on Palms. Honestly, I believe that the Pre's overall feminine design and small screen is what killed it in the market.

    I want a decent sized screen for browing the web, and not look like some kind of girly new-age zen hipster doing so. (As you can guess, I never bought the Pre...)

    People want a pocket computer that can also make calls, not the opposite. If Palm had understood that, it would still be an independant company now.
  17. #117  
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    Good question!

    I think the answer lies in the aspect ratio of the screen, believe it or not.

    Going from a 3.1" diagnal now, to a 4" diagnal with Pre2 is a .9" diference in diagnal size.

    Because the aspect ratio of the screen is rumored to be the same for the Pre2 (960 x 640 = 3:2) as the current Pre (320 x 240 = 3:2), MOST of the increased dimension will be felt in the width (shorter dimension), and not the length/height of the phone (longer dimension).

    That being the case, the keyboard can possibly become more efficient in its layout, with less rows, and more keys on each row, which would decrease potential additional "top heaviness" some might feel.

    Now, remember, it's MORE likely that the Pre2 will have a 3.7" or 3.8" diagnal, according to Supersonical's rumor, as that is the device that originally had the vertical slider on it - the 4" diagnal screen requested by HP was a slab device (no keyboard), and his information indicated that they took some of the specs (presumed to be resolution, CPU, etc. ) and upgraded the portrait slider that Palm already had been working on, and THAT is the device that will be introduced, first.

    My personal thought (and, I could be way wrong, but, it just seems to be right, at this point) is that the 3.7"/3.8" is actually that sweet spot that will satisfy more users than not, especially given the slide out portrait keyboard, to add to that nice screen size - this is where I bellieve the majority of users will fall into being able to work comfortably with.

    However, at one end of the spectrum are users with very small hands/fingers, and at the other side will be those with larger hands/fingers.. and who knows just how they will feel?

    Correction the current pre has a 480 by 320.
  18. #118  
    Quote Originally Posted by omr6535 View Post
    Correction the current pre has a 480 by 320.
    True, and that better supports both the math and the general point.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  19. #119  
    Ooop!

    Thanks for spotting that typo.. I was messing around with images that size this morning, and I think it stuck in my mind..

    Post revised...
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

  20. #120  
    I don't care what the specs are, what it's called, or if it even has a hardware keyboard. I just want new hardware that will give webOS the speed it needs and I want it soon
    check my webos facebook group http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=129304747081175

    help me reach my goal to be the first non celebrity on twitter with 1 million followers http://www.twitter.com/darkproteus66

    LONG LIVE HOMEBREW!!!
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions