Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    .... What? You jumping ahead here.
    Webosroundup gets scooped again!!!!

Just wait until I drop the news about the Palm Pre 4/C46HDMACROSSSPECIALEDITIONFESTIVAL/Roadrunner 6.0 tomorrow night at my new web site with video.

Coming to Sprint, next August, of course...according to my sources.
    Quote Originally Posted by fernandez21 View Post
    It's because saying a retina display is far easier to say and type than "a high resolution 480x960 display". And it's not the first time something is coined because of a company, Kleenex, xerox, and band-aids are all the name if a specific brand and company but people use those terms to describe all products thar fall under the same category.
    Quote Originally Posted by asharrop View Post
    retina display is coined pertaining to that resolution on a 3.5 inch screen though. Apple brags about that ratio more than the resolution numbers. So in that regard palm's phone will not be a 'retina display.'
    Yah, totally, the most important thing about the "retina display" is the pixel density, which is a function of the resolution in combination with a particular screen size. And for whatever extent "Retina Display" is a real name with real specs, it probably includes whatever the technology behind that pixel density is, IPS or whatever and who knows what else.

For the putative HP/Palm phone under discussion, being the same resolution but a different size screen, completely aside from the question of whether it will be based on the same tech, means it totally is not a "Retina Display".

Further, the way the discussion seemed to be going, what was interesting was the resolution, 480x960...so yeah, a "480x960 screen" might suffice and would definitely be more accurate than "retina display".

On a side note, even "high resolution 480x960 display" is a little redundant. Technically, 480x960 *is* the resolution, whether you prepend it with "high resolution" or "low resolution".

Perhaps the most accurate for the moment would be "high pixel density 480x960pixel display"... (and that'll only be accurate until someone comes out with a markedly higher-density display..., leaving the "Retina Display" in its pixel-density dust)

:-P

I'm just wordsmithing for the sake of wordsmithing now... I'd so much rather be in line for the new HP/Palm phone!!!

:-D
    OMG,

My best friend's wife's sister's daughter has a hacker friend who hacked into palms database and found out that there is a Palm Pre 9000.

It comes with these specs:

Screen: NanoTech high flex 4" touchscreen that can fold to 1" by 1" with a 4320p max res.
    CPU: 9000 ghz
    Camera Tech: 9000 mega pixel camera with 4320p video recording.
    Holographic projector. << not even kidding like in star wars!
    Battery: 9000 years of solid battery life using a fusion generator. << just like the sun!
    Its super thin! like a paper sheet!

This info is 9000% actuate I got it straight from that hacker guy!

Update!: Its suppose to come out in mid 2011!
    P.S. this is a joke..

-Toaster
    Last edited by toasterthegamer; 08/26/2010 at 06:32 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by toasterthegamer View Post
    OMG,

My best friend's wife's sister's daughter has a hacker friend who hacked into palms database and found out that there is a Palm Pre 9000.

Screen: NanoTech high flex 4" touchscreen that can fold to 1" by 1" with a 4320p max res.
    Battery: 9000 years of solid battery life using a fusion generator. << just like the sun!

P.S. this is a joke..

-Toaster
    My sources confirm this.
    So there's already an EnV, and already an EVO...

How about the HP/Palm Enveo? As an added bonus, it rhymes with Treo!
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Can we all at least PLEASE make a conscious effort to NOT call the new screen with a 480 x 960 resolution by Apple's marketing dribble "retina display" please?

That's like if Nike came up with a new shoe with a sole so good you feel your running on air and call it the "plantar sole".

*sigh*. I couldn't come up with a better analogy... But anyway, can we please, as educated citizens, not adopt such blindly stupid habits?
    Deal. But you have to promise to stop writing "dribble" when you mean "drivel"!
    I work for Palm. This is true, but how did your "hacker friend" get into our system? These specs weren't supposed to go public for awhile.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowhawk View Post
    Yah, totally, the most important thing about the "retina display" is the pixel density, which is a function of the resolution in combination with a particular screen size.
    You forgot the third variable, which is distance between screen and eyes. See Display Expert: iPhone 4 Resolution ‘Significantly Lower’ Than Retina | Gadget Lab | Wired.com for some discussion about Apple's suspect marketing claims for the iPhone4.
    Quote Originally Posted by fernandez21 View Post
    you'll probably see other companies or at least reviewers call other high dpi screens "retina".
    You are no doubt right, but that's no reason for us to join the flock of mindless sheep and join in.
    My sources confirm and also confrim it will be on PC Metro and Boost Mobile.

Quote Originally Posted by toasterthegamer View Post
    OMG,

Update!: Its suppose to come out in mid 2011!
    P.S. this is a joke..

-Toaster
    funny over at android central they are hearing the Palm rumor too heres what one person said when talking about the samsung epic 4G:

He's joking because your quote, "The epic is also smoother in pinching to zoom than the epic" is similar to IGN's review quote, "All things considered, the Samsung Epic 4G is a solid smartphone, and in many regards, superior to the Epic 4G."

If Sprint decides that all of its 4G phone names will start with an E, this could be confusing. The latest rumor is the Palm Envy 4G.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/spri...er-epic-4.html

they are talking about Sprint is trying to have all of their first generation 4G phones start with a E when describing the phones. So EVO, EPIC, ENVY?
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    You are no doubt right, but that's no reason for us to join the flock of mindless sheep and join in.
    Using a catchy marketing term hardly makes someone a mindless sheep. If it does I hope you've never used the phrase "I'll google it".
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Being a mindless sheep is one of the things that makes living in North America so wonderful...do nothing, have everything.....Brilliant...DO NOT take that away from me.

They can call a "retina" type display an ice cream sandwich for all I care, I will call it whatever they want....just give me one in my next Palm phone.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Palm Eternity

Because THAT may be how long we have to wait for it....or, at least SEEMS like.
    A lot of people saying that a portrait slider can't have a 4+" screen seem to have forgotten about this:

Dell Lightening
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by saluki42 View Post
    A lot of people saying that a portrait slider can't have a 4+" screen seem to have forgotten about this:

Dell Lightening
    Which, according to Engadget, has likely been scrapped...along with all other Dell Windows 7 phone concepts.
    Quote Originally Posted by mmarcus View Post
    Which, according to Engadget, has likely been scrapped...along with all other Dell Windows 7 phone concepts.
    Ouch. Wow, that sucks for WP7. - Update: Except, of course, it's not true.
    Last edited by wynand32; 08/27/2010 at 01:24 PM.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by mmarcus View Post
    actually according to dell any thing stating that they are not supporting windows 7 is false. And the guy who said they weren't going to be partners reclarified his statement saying he meant they would support, just that they wouldn't be launch partners.

this is updated in engadget's post also.
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    They are still in the game: Dell dropping Windows Phone 7 devices from its roadmap? (update: Dell responds, is definitely still in the game) -- Engadget

Update: We've been pinged back by Dell's Matt Parretta, and he was 100 percent clear that Dell was most certainly still part of the Windows Phone 7 game. In the company's words:
    Any reports, or speculation, that report Dell will not support Windows Phone 7 are false... Microsoft announced Dell as a supporting partner at this year's Mobile World Congress and nothing's changed. We are excited to collaborate with Microsoft on Windows Phone 7, and are looking forward to bringing customers amazing mobile experiences.
    Edit: Damn Grady beat me to it.
    Last edited by Traxion; 08/27/2010 at 11:30 AM.
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast