Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    See the link a couple posts above this one. I know, I know, not the news "some" folks like to see. It blows away all their preconceived (pun intended) notions...
    It fails to mention if it's webOS or collectively Palm OS and webOS. I would have to assume the latter.
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    i'm sure it IS both PalmOS and WebOS, which is even more of a testament to WebOS's sales since we know for sure people ain't buying PalmOS phones in any kind of significant numbers...
    Quote Originally Posted by asharrop View Post
    i'm sure it IS both PalmOS and WebOS, which is even more of a testament to WebOS's sales since we know for sure people ain't buying PalmOS phones in any kind of significant numbers...
    Not necessarily. These forums are littered with members that have yet to "upgrade" to a webOS device.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Not necessarily. These forums are littered with members that have yet to "upgrade" to a webOS device.
    Seriously, I am one of them
    The Original Owner of the AT&T Pre3
    true Palm OS is still selling im pretty sure but the marketshare's ive been reading specificly stated Webos not just Palm, or Palm os/webos so I assume they just mean Webos.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    It fails to mention if it's webOS or collectively Palm OS and webOS. I would have to assume the latter.
    So, it's your contention that a significant number of those folks are still using phones that haven't been produced in almost 2 years.

Uhuh.

And, of course, if that's going to be the view, you must also concede that the Apple number (which dropped) is including older versions of the iPhone as well.

However, your question was simply where did he get the 4.9%, not how accurate it was. The answer remains the same.

Did I mention that the Apple share number dropped? Oh yes, I did; but gotta admit, it's fun mentioning it again...
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post

Did I mention that the Apple share number dropped? Oh yes, I did; but gotta admit, it's fun mentioning it again...
    It's funny how there is such a 'shortage' of iphone 4's (at least there is here in Canada).. yet the sales numbers have dropped

good ol' supply vs demand
    Don't forget, the sales numbers being reported are for the period ending June, which was a year since the iPhone had been refreshed. Totally makes sense that sales numbers had dropped Esp in comparison to android. Next quarter's which include iphone4 will be more revealing.

It's difficult to compare slates of phones sales with different drop rates. That's why ad metrics are so useful.
    It's also important to remember that this is a rapidly growing market. So, a given company's market share can decrease even when their sales are increasing. It's just that one or more other companies in the market is/are growing faster.

In this case, I think it's safe to say that Android is growing faster enough than anyone else (except Palm, oddly enough, according to these numbers) that they're increasing market share at just about everyone else's expense.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  10. R_E
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    HP is branding their new printer as the Envy 100 Touchsmart printer
    HP intros Envy 100 TouchSmart printer, prices Android-powered C510 at $399? -- Engadget

This actually gives a lot of credence to the Palm Pre Envy name. Though I still see HP needing to buy out LG's trademark for this as well as brand recognition issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by R_E View Post
    HP is branding their new printer as the Envy 100 Touchsmart printer
    HP intros Envy 100 TouchSmart printer, prices Android-powered C510 at $399? -- Engadget

This actually gives a lot of credence to the Palm Pre Envy name. Though I still see HP needing to buy out LG's trademark for this as well as brand recognition issues.
    I was just going to post that. It's now very clear that HP intends to brand it's high end schtuff "Envy". So it's very possible - almost likely, that if Palm makes a high end feature phone it will carry the "Envy" somewhere in it's name.
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    I really hope they don't rename it. From what I can see, the Pre is Palm's flagship phone. Why walk away from that and start from scratch, why not just continue on and call their next flagship phone the Pre 2? If they change the name it symbolically cuts the ties and evolution apeal of the next phone. One of the things that makes the iphone seem so influential is its staying power, and that is partially due to never renaming it. If they got rid of the iphone name at round 2, the apple phones would just be a family of phones diluting their own individual part in the evolution of the phone. Keeping the name makes it a dynasty, it gives it the sense of staying power, and significance. Android botched that in my opinion. No one can keep up with who makes the pinnacle android phone, its just a ball that gets tossed around. Palm makes their phones and OS, the are in that way more able to resemble apple in having a single lineage rather than offspring firing off in every direction. I guess it comes down to what is more important, the phone, or the OS. Apple chose the path of exclusivity, Android the path of Spray it everywhere...Palm/HP can spread the OS around, but for goodness sake, please make a flagship phone with some staying power.

One of my favorite things about having a Pre is the fact that for over a year now, I know its still Palm's flagship phone, and therefore gets a lot of focus on suport and updates. Non-flagship phones get very few updates, they're just stepping stones.

-I recognize the fact that I have put an exagerated level of importance on this.

Ya it has a good processor, speed, screan size...specs specs all good, the real concern I have for hardware is will it start cracking at the usb port like my Pre. (I love how the Samsung galaxy has a sliding door usb cover - make note palm, that is awesome)
    Last edited by mjsmiley; 09/20/2010 at 02:00 PM.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    But you can't forget Palm as a company doesn't exist anymore. They are just a division of HP. And I wouldn't be surprised if HP would want to integrate a webOS phone into their Envy line of products (laptops and printers so far).
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415