Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 LastLast
    Oh believe me... if their weren't stupid reasons keeping me on Sprint I'd be heading to the Droid X. Anyway, a 4in. screen isn't bad if it's thin. I welcome the screen real estate more than the size at this point.
    My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    3.8" 960x640 would be the sweet spot I think. The screen wouldn't be as crisp as the iphone 4 since it would be .3" bigger. But I'm sure it'll still look great.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever92 View Post
    Oh believe me... if their weren't stupid reasons keeping me on Sprint I'd be heading to the Droid X. Anyway, a 4in. screen isn't bad if it's thin. I welcome the screen real estate more than the size at this point.
    Resolution is more important that screen size. Even with a 3.5" screen, the iphone 4 can display more than the Droid X with it's 4.3" screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by krische View Post
    Resolution is more important that screen size. Even with a 3.5" screen, the iphone 4 can display more than the Droid X with it's 4.3" screen.
    You are correct, in both statements!

My thought is, if the rumored 3.8" 960 x 640 resolution Pre2 are in fact, true, is that HP/Palm sees this size as the "sweet spot", and I agree, they could be right on target for many of the potential new smartphone users and upgrading ones, as well.

Having used devices from the Treo's screen size all the way up to the largest screen, the HD2's 4.3" screen, I can tell you that no one size will fit all, but, if you can provide a usable vertical physical keyboard, and then provide a screen that is large enough to make a truly usable horizontal software keyboard, nd yet still be a small enough device overall to be considered comfortable in most people's hand, AND give a really smooth, sharp/fine and vibrant quality dislpay, that this device will win many more users than those other devices at the "extreme" ends of the sizes.

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

I am so ready to trade up my Palm Pre Plus.
    The envy sounds AWESOME
    Any word on the touchstone charging for this phone? Call me crazy but that is one of the great things about this phone, wouldn't want to give that ability up..
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    given the fact that webOS 2.0 will have support for touchstone specific apps, I think you're safe.

i'm with you, touchstone charging is hard to give up.
    Quote Originally Posted by krische View Post
    Depending on the state of your presbyopia. Perfectly formed letters at 960 x 640 resolution on a 3.5 inch screen are harder to read than slightly less perfectly formed letters at 960 x 640 on a 4.3 inch screen. Size matters too, in some instances.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Depending on the state of your presbyopia. Perfectly formed letters at 960 x 640 resolution on a 3.5 inch screen are harder to read than slightly less perfectly formed letters at 960 x 640 on a 4.3 inch screen. Size matters too, in some instances.
    Kupe;

He said that resolution is more important than screen size, and he's right, especialy when he relatd the relationship between the two by saying that more information is displayed on a screen with a higher resolution than on the same size screen with a lower resolution.

Not that screen size isn't important, but,they do work hand in hand together; on mobile devices, they are fixed, while on the PC platform, they are user-set - perhaps, that, too, will be a future paaramter for smartphones to provide the end user.

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    He said that resolution is more important than screen size, and he's right, especialy when he relatd the relationship between the two by saying that more information is displayed on a screen with a higher resolution than on the same size screen with a lower resolution.
    Not true as you state it. Resolution, in and of itself, is not inherently more important than screen size. It is more important for image clarity or sharpness, but a perfectly formed, hi-clarity letter that is too small to read is, for lack of a better word, useless. In that case, screen size is a 'more important' consideration than image sharpness if the increased screen size can increase the letter size enough to be read. Unless you're recommending a magnifying glass or (gasp!) reading glasses be used.

You need to provide full context when you're going to make comparative claims like that.
    Not true as you state it. Resolution, in and of itself, is not inherently more important than screen size. It is more important for image clarity or sharpness, but a perfectly formed, hi-clarity letter that is too small to read is, for lack of a better word, useless. In that case, screen size is a 'more important' consideration than image sharpness if the increased screen size can increase the letter size enough to be read. Unless you're recommending a magnifying glass or (gasp!) reading glasses be used.

You need to provide full context when you're going to make comparative claims like that.
    true, but to me I think he meant comparing the screen size in regards to a 3 inch + range and a 4 inch + range. He did state they go hand in hand, and they do, and of course more realestate makes it eaiser to read on a device even if the device with a larger realestate has a lower resolutions. On the flip side if you have lets say how the iphone as done it a 3.5 inch device with a high resolution (which is very readable, and very sharp) it too is very very easy to read, words or pictures, and to me Id prefer the ladder. To me a mobile device should be....mobile not exagerated in size, because yes we want to be able to do everything on our phones, but to me I should be able to pocket the device with no problems, understanding that I won't have the same viewing experiances as a laptop, or desktop computer. Just my opinion.
    It's as if nobody ever heard of pinch and zoom. Obviously, the larger the screen the larger the font that can be displayed. The crisper the font, however, the less work the eyes and brain have to do to read the words. I think a 3.8" 960x640 screen would be the sweet spot. Excellent dpi, combined with a reasonable font, would produce an excellent reading situation. It would also likely keep the device at a reasonable size.

Hopefully, this is what we'll get, because it would likely be a phone that would appeal to the most people. No one phone will appeal to everyone, and a slate type device should be one of 3 new smartphones, IMHO. It would likely garner Palm the biggest audience to hit the market with a slightly larger screen Pixi (with an OMAP), a new bigger Pre like device, and a no keyboard slate. Cross launch on multiple carriers and we might have a winner.
    Last edited by falconrap; 09/03/2010 at 04:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    true, but to me I think he meant comparing the screen size in regards to a 3 inch + range and a 4 inch + range. He did state they go hand in hand, and they do, and of course more realestate makes it eaiser to read on a device even if the device with a larger realestate has a lower resolutions.
    Up to this point, your post makes sense.
    On the flip side if you have lets say how the iphone as done it a 3.5 inch device with a high resolution (which is very readable, and very sharp)
    OK, but ... what? How it is readable/sharp if it can't be seen. When I used the word presbyopia on my previous post, I assumed folks either knew what it meant or would look it up if they didn't. I can see I was wrong. OK - presbyopia = far-sighted = can't see/read things up close. When you're far-sighted, the words small, readable, and sharp are N/A ('not applicable' for those who don't know that one either) precisely because it is small, unreadable, and out-of-focus.
    it too is very very easy to read, words or pictures, and to me Id prefer the ladder.
    I presume you mean 'latter' here because I'm pretty sure we're not talking about climbing up and cleaning out the gutters (gudders?) or hanging drapes are we?
    To me a mobile device should be....mobile not exagerated in size, because yes we want to be able to do everything on our phones, but to me I should be able to pocket the device with no problems, understanding that I won't have the same viewing experiances as a laptop, or desktop computer. Just my opinion.
    See non sequitur. At least THAT phrase applies to this discussion. You realize this entire discussion has been based around small, mobile, pocketable devices don't you.
    Up to this point, your post makes sense.
    OK, but ... what? How it is readable/sharp if it can't be seen. When I used the word presbyopia on my previous post, I assumed folks either knew what it meant or would look it up if they didn't. I can see I was wrong. OK - presbyopia = far-sighted = can't see/read things up close. When you're far-sighted, the words small, readable, and sharp are N/A ('not applicable' for those who don't know that one either) precisely because it is small, unreadable, and out-of-focus.
    I presume you mean 'latter' here because I'm pretty sure we're not talking about climbing up and cleaning out the gutters (gudders?) or hanging drapes are we?
    See non sequitur. At least THAT phrase applies to this discussion. You realize this entire discussion has been based around small, mobile, pocketable devices don't you.

when I mean readable (minus if there is a inability regarding sight) I mean looking at a mobile and making out what your reading. If you yourself have presbyopia = far-sighted = can't see/read things up close, then I would advise you do get a device somewhat larger, so that it would be easier to see. To me ( is just my opinion nothing more) I just rather have a device that is big enough that I can use not just as a phone, but as a portable browser, doc reader etc. Yet small enough still to pocket. Sorry about spelling (ladder latter) Im just keying away not worried to much about grammer, but it looks like whatever your reading on now your atleast able to pick out grammer errors huh lol just picking .

nah... hows about pinch to zoom?

That's why resolution is more often than not, more important than screen size.. zoom in with lower pixel density due to a smaller screen resolution, and the enlargened display will, suc... oops.. I mean suffer! (unless its a vector graphic, like in Flash, or Adobe PDF, but thats another issue altogether).

Last edited by LCGuy; 09/01/2010 at 05:43 PM.

Wow, another pretty cool thread, sucked down in the resolution wars morass. Please excuse the language, but this sucks. Can you please take this conversation offline, or start another thread?
    Hi all,

Since I had my Centro with a 2 year contract, which ends in 6 weeks, I will be THRILLED & DANCING IN THE STREETS, with what ever Palm has in store for all of us....So far I have had great luck with my Treo 300, 600, 650 and my Centro..I am SURE Palm will give us a great phone...no matter what the resolution is!

Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    more info from jackson over at webosworld. He states his sources over at sprint state they have not lit up major citys yet, and hinted they will upon the new 4G webos device mid Q4:

4th Generation Networks – Is there more to them behind the speed?
    That's not what he said. He said that three major cities -- New York, DC, and LA -- haven't been lit up yet. Plenty of other major cities have coverage: Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, Chicago, Baltimore, Kansas City, St. Louis, Las Vegas, and Philadelphia are all major cities.

In addition, test towers are up in many other places. Los Angeles has at least one tower up, and probably three or four, since a colleague has an Evo and has 4G coverage in varying spots around LA, Orange, and Riverside Counties.

That Sprint is spreading coverage isn't a secret. They've been announcing upcoming new cities fairly regularly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Blank View Post
    That's not what he said. He said that three major cities -- New York, DC, and LA -- haven't been lit up yet. Plenty of other major cities have coverage: Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, Chicago, Baltimore, Kansas City, St. Louis, Las Vegas, and Philadelphia are all major cities.

In addition, test towers are up in many other places. Los Angeles has at least one tower up, and probably three or four, since a colleague has an Evo and has 4G coverage in varying spots around LA, Orange, and Riverside Counties.

That Sprint is spreading coverage isn't a secret. They've been announcing upcoming new cities fairly regularly.

thats what I was saying (not specific no) and of course coverage is spotty even in those citys. I have people in New York who has 4G and their in brooklyn, and Yonkers. Also my cousin in marine city, CA, but the full switch for 4G has not been enabled for alot of major citys yet. He was just stating that he was told (rumor) that they plan on flipping the switch on in those selected major citys the time the next 4G device comes mid Q4, which is why he just speculated on the next Webos device, because rumors point to that time frame. Thats all nothing more, just sharing more info in case people didnt get a chance to head over there.