1.    #1  
    I found this from a reference on Twitter this morning.

Pay careful attention to the beginning of the video - touchless gestures, and perhaps make a wild guess or two as to how this could affect a WebOS2 device's user interface!

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Touchless gestures sound neat at first, but what's the actual upside? Now browsing while eating a burger and onion rings is cleaner than ever?

It'll be interesting to see which company will be the favored son customer to Texas Instruments - Motorola or HP? To date, Motorola has way, way, way outsold and out-ordered Palm on these chips, but maybe if HP uses this for the PalmPad and whips up a huge initial order, that could change.
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    So unfair, I work in the wrong department at TI. Obviously they wouldn't show an end product but more of a test bench device. Interesting stuff, funny that I don't hear about it in the halls but instead on P|C.
  4.    #4  
    Interesting, isn't it?

For the WebOS interface, it makes gestures like throwing away cards and swiping them, etc, just that much more intuitivve, IF the camera is located near the gesture area. - its almost like those last few good Palm Pre commercials with the girl swiping the air as she walked through the streets, isnt it?

For games, well, this is the next best thing to being there, isnt it? Point your fingers and shoot, punch, push, etc.. I can see the fights break out between a guy playing Quake on his Pre on the NYC subway, and accidentally punching some angry gang-banger standing next to him...

Seriously way cool stuff, and they are talking about this being enabled in the beginning of 2011 on OMAP4 devices?

Wow.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Touchless gestures sound neat at first, but what's the actual upside? Now browsing while eating a burger and onion rings is cleaner than ever?

It'll be interesting to see which company will be the favored son customer to Texas Instruments - Motorola or HP? To date, Motorola has way, way, way outsold and out-ordered Palm on these chips, but maybe if HP uses this for the PalmPad and whips up a huge initial order, that could change.
    The Palm Pre uses the TI OMAP3 now - so the next logical step would be to move to the OMAP4. I understand that the OMAP4430 operates at up to 1 GHz and the OMAP4440 operates at 1+ GHz. To quote TI "These processors are designed to drive smart phones and mobile internet devices and highly optimized mobile applications for the highest levels of processor performance and lowest power consumption." They sound like an ideal fit to the next generation Palm phones and have better specifications than the Qualcomm Snapdragon.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    One other thought, that camera that watches your finger better be IR capable and have some little IR LEDs next to it so you can still use the feature in the dark.
    Quote Originally Posted by not-yet-pre View Post
    The Palm Pre uses the TI OMAP3 now - so the next logical step would be to move to the OMAP4. I understand that the OMAP4430 operates at up to 1 GHz and the OMAP4440 operates at 1+ GHz. To quote TI "These processors are designed to drive smart phones and mobile internet devices and highly optimized mobile applications for the highest levels of processor performance and lowest power consumption." They sound like an ideal fit to the next generation Palm phones and have better specifications than the Qualcomm Snapdragon.
    The OMAP4 procs are dual core so their performance capabilities far exceed what is possible in today's 1GHz processors. And it's not just about the clock speed ... there are some powerful chip features that make complex image processing like what's required for touchless gestures possible. That would really be insane if WebOS 2.0 had a feature like that. It would be especially awesome for mobile gaming.
    now only if it also had a mini projector lens so you could project the screen images and still swipe those away with touchless gestures.
    Moto Razr>>BlackBerry 8703e>>Moto Q>>Blackberry Curve 8330>>Blackberry Storm>>Palm Pre +
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by callen10 View Post
    now only if it also had a mini projector lens so you could project the screen images and still swipe those away with touchless gestures.
    You know, if you ssaw the whole video, you'd know that OMAP4 can drive 3 separate screens...

Just sayin...

Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    It's obviously very far out, but just a thought with these gestures...

Those flexible displays HP was showing off, think about once they're n desks, and walls and stuff. Air gestures would be a huge deal. sort of like what was used in Iron Man haha! moving stuff that far on the screen would get to be annoying, but in the air would just be awesome!

its way far off though.
    I make air gestures all the time and people get mad at me for it.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    You know, if you ssaw the whole video, you'd know that OMAP4 can drive 3 separate screens...

Just sayin...
    That was definitely not lost on me.
    I want lasers
  14.    #14  
    Multiple displays CAN allow the gesture area to become a separate display, all its own - still just as small, but with real display behind it, for even more intuitive gesturing and navigating.

The touchelss UI would be great for gaming, indeed, but, also, because it is basing a normal 2D camera's integraton with standard OCR recogniton, will allow scanning of documents, artwork, videos, as well as any sort of moving objects to be incorporated into driving and instructing the smartphone to perform tasks.

Example: show a business card or a written business address on the front of an envelope to the Pre2 with GPS running, and watch it scan the address and instantly route you there.

Example 2: Imagine creative programs like paint and 3D modelling. You can use the touchless UI to paint wider, bolder strokes by pushing and lighter, thinner ones by pulling away from the display. In 3D modelling, you can actually click imaginary points in space to create real 3D models.

Just the tip of the iceberg.