Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I know there are threads asking what you would like to see in webOS 2.0, but realistically, what do you think will be included with webOS 2.0?
    What we know....

API for Mic and Camera
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    I think they will shoot for parity with Treo/Centro, and try to add something surprising, like Skype or Bluetooth pairing to a PC, etc.
    sskype would b awesome!
    Just taking a stab,voice dial and voice text and voice universal search in the new build.
    I don't think they will do anything mind-blowing..

webos 1.0 was filled with innovations, and nice features, that had features missing. Like Synergy didn't let you delete certain contacts. The phone had a great ui, but was slow. They didn't have proper apis. Universal search wasn't universal. etc...

The main focus is going to be fixing, and upgrading current innovations, and features. They might have one, or two new features we've never seen before, but i'm not expecting to be blown away, and I don't think anyone should be. If they fix 3/5 of our complaints, I'm Happy, Happy, Happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    I don't think they will do anything mind-blowing..
    I actually think this will be quite the opposite. If you are HP, why would you settle for "fixing?" They need to make a splash to gain mindshare. They need to get people and media talking about webOS again, like they were after CES 2009.

I'm just not quite sure what that could be. Maybe it's not even hardware/software related, but something as simple as a really effective marketing campaign that Palm couldn't pull off with their limited budget. I guess what I'm thinking is using their "scale" to reach people that Palm couldn't reach.
    I agree with rlangley 100 percent. Why would hp go threw all this with palm to go half way and not try to make a huge splash?
    test to speech would be great. that way it can read txt, twitter, and email to us while we drive - like Ford Sync does...
    Better battery life.
    Push notifications for all apps.
    A great virtual keyboard.
    We actually know quite a bit about some stuff that will be in webOS 2.0. A number of things have already been discussed, in particular at the developer's meeting at Palm a number of months back.

Those include things like:

1. GPU-accelerated CSS transforms/transitions (although this one's the least discussed)
    2. Javascript Background Services
    3. CouchDB
    4. Microphone and camera APIs
    5. Media indexer
    6. Crypto/security APIs
    7. Support for Bonjour/Zeroconf
    8. Bluetooth Serial Port Profile
    9. Mojo Core
    10. Improved App Catalog
    11. Hybrid PDK/SDK apps

That stuff's pretty much all for sure, although quite a bit of it will be background stuff that will enable great things but won't be obvious to the user. And yes, some of it will result in dramatic performance improvements, and potential battery life improvements.

Now that we know a tablet is forthcoming, we can probably speculate that we'll have things like a virtual keyboard and related technologies, along with potential tablet-specific APIs. But, webOS 2.0 will be HUGE in terms of performance and capabilities.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    If they use a dual core processor I would wonder how long it would take to thread WebOS. I imagine that would be a big performance gain. But that all depends on the processor they use.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    As long as one of the main priorities is OS GPU acceleration then it's all good ^^. Well, I'm guessing that it should be a big update since it's not going to 1.5 but instead to 2.0. I'm wondering, when will WebOS catch up to the rest of the mobile OSes in respect to APIs and features?
    Quote Originally Posted by woodmaster View Post
    sskype would b awesome!
    did you not read the title?
    Quote Originally Posted by rlangley21 View Post
    I actually think this will be quite the opposite. If you are HP, why would you settle for "fixing?" They need to make a splash to gain mindshare. They need to get people and media talking about webOS again, like they were after CES 2009.

I'm just not quite sure what that could be. Maybe it's not even hardware/software related, but something as simple as a really effective marketing campaign that Palm couldn't pull off with their limited budget. I guess what I'm thinking is using their "scale" to reach people that Palm couldn't reach.
    I agree with the marketing, and hardware, but I don't see new software features that will blow us away. I see new marketing, hardware, and some software updates that will make Webos blow people away, but i don't see software that will blow current webos users away. Like we will get really stocked due to very nice functionality, but i doubt they'll be much we didn't think of our selfs, and are left wondering "how did they do this? Like we where after the pre got announced.
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    I expect it ALL.

With the power, (and boat-loads of cash), of HP behind them, I fully expect a vastly improved OS.

Text-to-Speech, (& Speech-to-Text for text/email input), Mojo, Synergy overhaul, ...and speed, speed, speed! ;-)

...and after what was hinted at last night, (we'll know more in 2 weeks), I think they will incorporate many, many of the patches into the OS, and add the ability to "theme" and customize the GUI, as well as install homebrew w/o any hassle at all. (not that it's all that hard as it is, but if Preware could be installed by a user straight from the official app cat....) ;-) ...and the "Game-guy" at HP loves themes, patches, and homebrew, ;-) as demonstrated last night.)
    Last edited by ToddK; 08/25/2010 at 03:46 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddK View Post
    I expect it ALL.

With the power, (and boat-loads of cash), of HP behind them, I fully expect a vastly improved OS.

Text-to-Speech, (& Speech-to-Text for text/email input), Mojo, Synergy overhaul, ...and speed, speed, speed! ;-)

...and after what was hinted at last night, (we'll know more in 2 weeks), I think they will incorporate many, many of the patches into the OS, and add the ability to "theme" and customize the GUI, as well as install homebrew w/o any hassle at all. (not that it's all that hard as it is, but if Preware could be installed by a user straight from the official app cat....) ;-) ...and the "Game-guy" at HP loves themes, patches, and homebrew, ;-) as demonstrated last night.)

Hmm. Maybe, just maybe a "light" version of preware... No overclocking, and no some other things..

Or they might grab the best from preware (since it's open source), and offer it themselves.
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    ...and once that's all done, THEN I'll fully support HP /Palm giving Jason a job! ;-) ...but not until then.... I'm a selfish, SOB, and I want him right here! ;-)

sorry, Jason. ;-/ but, without what you've done, this OS would be un-usable! (and I'd be rocking an Android device.) ;-(
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast