Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    mobile.engadget.com/2010/08/23/right-on-time-verizon-phasing-out-pre-plus-storm2-curve-8530/

Right on time: Verizon phasing out Pre Plus, Storm2, Curve 8530, others?

(see link for photo)

Judging from some documents we've received, Big Red is looking to clear out a lot of inventory right about now -- presumably to make room for some upcoming models, some of which we've already heard about through the grapevine. Specifically, the Pre Plus along with the BlackBerry Storm2 and Curve 8530 are apparently marked "Phase Out"; in the case of the Pre Plus, we know Verizon's site has had it marked out of stock for a little while now, while rumors of a Storm3 and Curve 9330 have been floating around for some time. Also on the chopping block are a couple netbooks, a USB modem, and the MiFi, a device we've heard would be replaced with the ZTE-sourced, dual-mode Fivespot in the near future. All makes sense, doesn't it? Follow the break for a second shot.
    cool, but im really hoping for a Sprint release
    Hopefully this means good news looming for all of us who are in love with WebOS. Personally, I think that given a couple years, WebOS will be competitively grabbing at the marketshare of "fruit" and "robot".
    This doesn't bode well for a Sprint release, but then again it doesn't bode not well for a Sprint release, either. I mean, seriously: this thing just couldn't come out first on Verizon.

Could it?
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    hope this doesn't affect 1.4.5.
    I don’t think Verizon ever fully “Phased In” the Pre Plus.
    They didn’t advertise it except with other smartphones.
    They tried to sell their walk-in customers anything but a Pre Plus.
    They purchased NFL Mobile that was working fine on Sprint and didn’t support it on the Pre Plus.
    They crippled the GPS so they could sell their Verizon Navigator.
    They did make Mobile Hotspot free only after they discovered they couldn’t block it.
    They delayed the update to 1,4,1,1 for almost two months.

Verizon has shown no love for the Pre Plus or Pixi Plus but I still think they are the best phones Verizon “Had” in their lineup. Hopefully they are just making room for the Pre 2 and with it will come WebOS 2.0 because we probably won’t have 1.4.5.1.1 by then anyway.

Sorry for the rant! I just had to say it.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Geez stop crying about Verizon not selling an inferior phone to the average consumer. They made more money off the Droid and customers are happier with Droids so why the hell not sell them. You know it's their JOB to make money right...
    Quote Originally Posted by iTz Nicholas72 View Post
    Geez stop crying about Verizon not selling an inferior phone to the average consumer. They made more money off the Droid and customers are happier with Droids so why the hell not sell them. You know it's their JOB to make money right...
    Where is it that you draw the conclusion that the Pre Plus and Pixi Plus are inferior devices? Does it make sense that Verizon didn't market and promote these devices? Sure, before the launch of Palm's new devices they had great momentum with their Droid marketing campaign and they still are having great success with it. I don't see Verizon changing this add campaign anytime soon, so it's disappointing that Palm had to go with the one carrier who didn't have a flagship model or device type and only have limited success with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elxiliath View Post
    Where is it that you draw the conclusion that the Pre Plus and Pixi Plus are inferior devices?...
    It's a favorite theme of his.
    what's the droid but windows mobile with spb mobile shell's widgetized interface? Anyone who has ever used winmo with spb mobille shell will know what I'm talking about.

webOS is for people who like to think different. Yes, we need a lot of patience, but it will get there. iTz, you've complained about your pre pluses so much on these forums. Why don't you just move on and get the droid of the month.
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    what's the droid but windows mobile with spb mobile shell's widgetized interface? Anyone who has ever used winmo with spb mobille shell will know what I'm talking about.
    Yeesh. Thanks for that. I'll be having nightmares tonight...
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    sorry!
    sorry!
    You should be!

Windows Mobile and SPB... Ye gads, but those were horrible days.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    You should be!

Windows Mobile and SPB... Ye gads, but those were horrible days.
    No doubt. But even with that setup you could do more with that phone than you can with a Pre.
    you could def do more with windows and android than you can do with the pre. But in a clunky way. Meanwhile the webOS interface is amazing.

Hopefully with more APIs, better hardware, and most importantly I think...webOS 2.0, hpalm can atleast match the capability of those OSs.

then the dev supports will come. If you build it they will come...

right?
    you could def do more with windows and android than you can do with the pre. But in a clunky way. Meanwhile the webOS interface is amazing.
    Definitely clunky. Wasn't that the charm of WM?
    I went to the Sprint store sunday and they didn't even have the Pre on display anymore only the pixi .
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    No doubt. But even with that setup you could do more with that phone than you can with a Pre.
    I disagree. Yes, the capabilities were technically there (e.g., taking voice notes), but the environment was so kludgy and inelegant that I never found myself actually using any of them.

To me, the definition of "do more" doesn't mean just looking at a laundry list of capabilities. It means looking at the overall experience, and I've "done more" with my Pre than any smartphone I've ever owned.
    Except things like apps that have the voice api (used to use shazam often on my blackberry curve)
    Or take voice notes
    Or zoom in on your camera

blah. But looking at your phone list, it makes sense...the user experience of Windows Mobile 6 was simply not good. Sure those phones are super powerful...but they are the definition of clunky (hence its silly when people call android clunky). I had the PPC 6700 for a week before i got a 755p instead.

Anyway, my old blackberry curve honestly had more capabilities than the Pre....of course the UI and such is better on WebOS...but i can't lie i was missing things. I want WebOS to catch up on some basic functionality then go to push cool innovative stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    I disagree. Yes, the capabilities were technically there (e.g., taking voice notes), but the environment was so kludgy and inelegant that I never found myself actually using any of them.

To me, the definition of "do more" doesn't mean just looking at a laundry list of capabilities. It means looking at the overall experience, and I've "done more" with my Pre than any smartphone I've ever owned.
    So you disagree that WM 'could do more' and then go on to say that technically WM 'could do more.' Since the 'definition of do more' with regards to a device has very little to do with the personal skillset of wynand32, I think we can safely conclude that WM 'could do more' than WebOS does. I know when I used WM I 'could do more' than when I used WebOS.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast