Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

Here is a LITTLE more info on Roadrunner.

Take care,

Jay

PHONES / INDUSTRY

HP Set To Launch iPhone Killer With Better Screen & WebOS 2.0
    By David Richards | Sunday | 22/08/2010

HP Set To Launch iPhone Killer With Better Screen & WebOS 2.0 - Smarthouse

Days after Acer announced that they are set to enter the OZ Smartphone market news has leaked that HP is set to launch a "Roadrunner" WebOS Smarphone with a display screen that is as good as the Apple Retina Display found in the new iPhone.

According to Electronista a webOS game from Killin' It LLC, Cloud Hopper, recorded a "Roadrunner HD" device running a 960x640 resolution which is as good if not better than the Apple offering. What is not known is whether HP will launch the Smartphone in Australia.

Sources believe that HP is set to use the WebOS operating system which they aquired after buying out the struggling Palm phone Company earlier this year.

HP insiders claim that extensive development work is taking place in an effort to deliver a new HP Web OS that will immediately leapfrog most rivals on a technical level including the operating and the physical hardware.

The new webOS 2.0, software already had key features such as multitasking, social networking integration and cloud syncing with insiders tipping that the new offering will be launch at the same time that Microsoft is launching their new Windows Mobile 7 Smartphone offering.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Global Posts
    139 Global Posts
    This should get interesting.
    as a day one owner of my palm pre. I'm looking forward to their next offering... Still running strong and loving the feel ofmy webOS.
    960x640 resolution how is that better than the iphones? -_-
    Quote Originally Posted by jordan23945bulls View Post
    960x640 resolution how is that better than the iphones? -_-
    It would be higher pixel density if they keep the same screen size, which I hope they don't do.
    bigger screen ftw! Not necessarily bigger phone, just bigger screen size. Utilize the real estate of the phone. Not surround the screen with an used frame.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    more rumors built on rumors built on other rumors. Some of this may be true, but this article is just another copy of a copy of a copy of the original PC article with some more lies thrown in
    recently used a galaxy s at bell, and wow 4.0 inches is nice.. I don't think i'd want any bigger, and my friends iphone 4 looked to small next to it...
    EHHH...why on earth does everything have to be called an "iphone-killer" this or whatever. I really hate those comparisons.

Anyway, I like the sound of the higher resolution, but I wouldn't want anything as big as an EVO or something. I hope Hpalm doesn't abandon the pocketability aspect of the Pre and release something huge like most andriod phones...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaurav View Post
    EHHH...why on earth does everything have to be called an "iphone-killer" this or whatever. I really hate those comparisons.
    agreed. i think it's foolish to set the standard so high as the iphone is a hugely successful product and by comparison even a strong showing is going to make you look bad. And the reality is nobody is killing the Iphone ecosystem in the near future. It's like saying i'm gonna be better then Jordan. Even if you're as good as Kobe, which is damn good, you're still not Jordan.

Regardless, i think to compete with an iphone you have to do most of what iphones do well and you have to appeal to what the masses like. That is you have to be great at multimedia (audio and video), business integration so you can win business consumers, and have mainstream app support. Like i was looking thru the well over a year old app request thread http://forums.precentral.net/webos-a...-wishlist.html and the huge majority of namebrand apps mentioned like mint.com or yahoo fantasy, shazam, etc haven't been developed and nobody knows if they are even in the works. I came across an interesting article http://www.pcworld.com/article/20382...ebos_apps.html about the hurdle HP faces with selling a webos tablet being the lack of developer support. It's not about numbers mind you. numbers mean little. but about getting major apps people are expecting. Not to mention cutting edge hardware. And then you have to sell it in a way that makes it palatable to average consumers. Like i don't think they need just new hardware, or just a new screen, or just a 720p camera. They need it all, hardware, software, polish, some added features and customization, mainstream app support, and better salesmanship to be more then a 3% market player. Regardless i have zero doubt that they are working on something. Phone products just don't come out overnight they have to be planned and i doubt palm was just twiddling their thumbs even back in January.
    Last edited by blackmagic01; 08/23/2010 at 12:36 AM.
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    If I had a nickel for every "iPhone Killer"
    Quote Originally Posted by genearch View Post
    And no one's done it, yet, though they always make the claims. It is a superb phone that is loved by it's loyal users, people need to really accept this, get over it and move on!
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    You guys should see Bubble's NaN player.. Amazing... as for a tablet in 2011 sounds about Perfect... The Audio API's should be coming out soon Sept/Oct/Nov? for apps like shazam and things like that... Once those have been out we will have all the voice modulator/recording apps we want. After that the Shazam's will have close to 4 months to develop before a tablet launches... the timeline looks pretty good if you ask me. Now i'm just waiting for Quick Office!!
    Thanks Jay!

I doubt if anyone will make an “iPhone Killer” because Apple has too great a following in its own community. But I also think that Palm and HP have a good chance to launch a “Killer” smartphone that will set a new standard for the industry and perhaps become the new super phone for others to try to catch. We will see what comes of the baby born of the marriage of Palm and HP. Waiting through the gestation period is the worst part.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaurav View Post

Anyway, I like the sound of the higher resolution, but I wouldn't want anything as big as an EVO or something. I hope Hpalm doesn't abandon the pocketability aspect of the Pre and release something huge like most andriod phones...
    Even though some people won't admit it(Including me)... Iphone is the leading phone around, and the only phone to compare the pre with.(IMO)
    Quote Originally Posted by genearch View Post
    you are right. Let's call this a droid killer.
    I wish they'd stop referring to 'iphone killer'. There's no need to refer to that other thing when you have a device that stands on its own merits.
    : (){:|:&};:
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by not-yet-pre View Post
    Thanks Jay!

I doubt if anyone will make an “iPhone Killer” because Apple has too great a following in its own community. But I also think that Palm and HP have a good chance to launch a “Killer” smartphone that will set a new standard for the industry and perhaps become the new super phone for others to try to catch. We will see what comes of the baby born of the marriage of Palm and HP. Waiting through the gestation period is the worst part.
    Hi all,

I agree...using the term "Iphone killer", only means an early death to the Iphone killer and not the Iphone...

Take care,

jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    "iPhone Killer" or whatever. Why does everyone constantly forget that Blackberry is the true market leader, even if they are quickly losing market share.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    What is not known is whether HP will launch the Smartphone in Australia.
    Random Info? I Laughed When I Read It, But Is There A Legit Reason For This?

My Pre Does EXACTLY What I Need It To Do, And Thats Why I Have A webOS Relationship.

Facebook: facebook.com/LordSecksie
    Twitter: @LordSecksie
    TextOne: LordSecksie
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast