Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    "iPhone Killer" or whatever. Why does everyone constantly forget that Blackberry is the true market leader, even if they are quickly losing market share.
    This may be true, but blackberry's are more for the business type and less than personal use. I think people are more interested in a "personal" phone when outside the business area. And since now a days most "personal" smartphones do more than blackberry's do, blackberry's really are no longer a threat. Thats just my opinion...

My Pre Does EXACTLY What I Need It To Do, And Thats Why I Have A webOS Relationship.

Facebook: facebook.com/LordSecksie
    Twitter: @LordSecksie
    TextOne: LordSecksie
    Quote Originally Posted by PJaE00 View Post
    This may be true, but blackberry's are more for the business type and less than personal use. I think people are more interested in a "personal" phone when outside the business area. And since now a days most "personal" smartphones do more than blackberry's do, blackberry's really are no longer a threat. Thats just my opinion...
    I'd be curious what 'personal' things you do with a non-Blackberry phone that you can't do with a Blackberry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    I'd be curious what 'personal' things you do with a non-Blackberry phone that you can't do with a Blackberry.
    Wha I mean is how the blackberry's have a rep. to be more business than personal.

My Pre Does EXACTLY What I Need It To Do, And Thats Why I Have A webOS Relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    What is not known is whether HP will launch the Smartphone in Australia.
    Random Info? I Laughed When I Read It, But Is There A Legit Reason For This?
    Well, the linked article is from an Australian source (.au domain at any rate) and also mentioned that Acer just announced entry into the Australian(OZ) smartphone market. One might conclude that both the author and his intended audience are in fact Australian and are interested in weather or not HP will in fact release the phone in Australia.

Or maybe I'm reading to much into this?
    Wha I mean is how the blackberry's have a rep. to be more business than personal.
    Ah. True enough. But again, blackberry has gone to great lengths to get inside the minds of the non-business users too. It's still the tool of choice for suburban soccer moms, non-feature-phone heavy texters, and folks that ned a phone that goes "both ways."
    Quote Originally Posted by knobbysideup View Post
    I wish they'd stop referring to 'iphone killer'. There's no need to refer to that other thing when you have a device that stands on its own merits.
    We don't need a 'droid, iPhone,... Killer. We need a Palm Resurrector.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    "iPhone Killer" or whatever. Why does everyone constantly forget that Blackberry is the true market leader, even if they are quickly losing market share.
    I don't think people forget. It's just that if you look at the momentum of the smart phone market. It's with Apple and Android not Blackberry and thus they are what smartphone makers are measuring themselves by. I think that idea has been backed up a lot by research from other people. Recently there was a story about this. "More than half of BlackBerry owners say they'll choose something other than a BlackBerry when they upgrade. " Most BlackBerry owners want iPhone, Android - Technology & science - Wireless - msnbc.com the article goes on to say a whopping "90% of iphone users will buy another iphone." taken with a grain of salt it still indicates that blackberry users may be looking to leave blackberry. and when you've got 90% customer retention do you really what to come out the box saying you're gonna be better then that? Classic failure is overpromise and under deliver. but back to the black berry. look at the torch launch. It didn't go great. i don't recall lines. Not so for iphones and there are waiting lists for a couple of the new android phones. and i think the other thing is Android and iphone are from a company perspective are two very pretty consistent companies. Rimm not so much. I'm not sure but i also think Rimm doesn't do that great outside of the U.S. could be wrong on that. But it think it's more about the momentum of market share not where it actually is now.
    Not another iPhone killer! People need to stop using that phrase.
    Quote Originally Posted by yobgup View Post
    Not another iPhone killer! People need to stop using that phrase.
    When you say "people," do you mean (so-called) journalists and tech bloggers looking to pad their subscriptions and clicks? Because that's pretty much who uses the phrase most often.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by camiller View Post
    Well, the linked article is from an Australian source (.au domain at any rate) and also mentioned that Acer just announced entry into the Australian(OZ) smartphone market. One might conclude that both the author and his intended audience are in fact Australian and are interested in weather or not HP will in fact release the phone in Australia.

Or maybe I'm reading to much into this?
    Didnt think about that. Makes alot more sense now. Still made me laugh tho at the thought.

While positioning this device as an "iPhone killer" is a kiss of death for all the reasons already give, there is something perhaps even more troubling about the article. A casual reading of the article makes is sound like this will be just another "me too" product. Apple has grabbed headlines with its high density screen. This makes it sound like Palm is saying, "We can do it too!" Like those great iPhone games? "We can do it too!" ...And on it goes.

Newsflash! If people want a phone about the size of an iPhone, with the screen resolution of an iPhone, with the features of an iPhone, that can run the same apps as an iPhone, they will just buy an iPhone. If you want your product to be noticed, you can't bring it to the party disguised as the competition. If HP comes out comparing screen resolution and front camera and multi-touch implementation and EA titles, they have already lost. I suspect this is what Palm supporters should worry about more than being labeled an iPhone killer. iPhone clone/wannabe is even worse.
    I agree they need to NOT call it a Iphone Killer. that usually only kills the phone itself. A new Webos with great specs should sell on its own not because its an iphone killer. HP can do this right if they try and put out a great device.
    The press will always make it into what they need to, in order to appeal to who they think thier audience is, to sell thier wares and make thier money via advertising revenue.

Look, everyone needs to understand one thing, if only this one thing:

Palm introduced the Pre to be different (and hopefully, better) than anything out there.. and itsure was different, and was better in most ways, but not the most important one. It failed because of poor marketting and substandard hardware, because PALM was in tough financial condition. Palm never called the Pre an iPhone killer.. the press did. Had the maketting been better and the hardware been better, who knows were PALM would be today?

The same guy (Ruby) is steering WebOS's next smartphone again, under HP, only this time, he has the financial support and a wealth of corporate power and reach behind him ...

I storngly believe that Ruby isnt looking tomake a smartphone that will become an iPhone killer.. he wants to make a cutting edge phone that is very successful (as in, people want it, desire it, and see it for the great product it is) better than anything out there, again, and now, he has a real shot at that ...

So, the press, all of them, from CNET and ZDnet to the smaller obscure critics, will say what they need to, but, in the end, it will all boil down to HP/Palm executing in all areas as needed.

If, in the end, WebOS becomes a highly appreciated and demanded platform, and surpasses the iPhone, and Blackberry and Android, that will be totally up to the customers, and how they recieve the products as they are introduced... and if WebOS winds up being just one of the 3 top smartphone OS's in the world, trust me, HP and Palm would be VERY happy with that share of that market, as it is HUGE.

And, of course, if it fails, it will be totally on thier shoulders again, as they will not have learned the lessons handed to them over the past years.

This next smartphone needs to be unique in its own way, and it already has a head-start because it has the most unique and elegant OS for smartphones available today.. what else it will have is anyone's guess.. but, I believe, strongly, it will surpass anything else available, and maybe include a few surprises, to boot, which sets it aside even more.

IMO, of course.
    Last edited by LCGuy; 08/23/2010 at 07:33 PM.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    While positioning this device as an "iPhone killer" is a kiss of death for all the reasons already give, there is something perhaps even more troubling about the article. A casual reading of the article makes is sound like this will be just another "me too" product. Apple has grabbed headlines with its high density screen. This makes it sound like Palm is saying, "We can do it too!" Like those great iPhone games? "We can do it too!" ...And on it goes.

Newsflash! If people want a phone about the size of an iPhone, with the screen resolution of an iPhone, with the features of an iPhone, that can run the same apps as an iPhone, they will just buy an iPhone. If you want your product to be noticed, you can't bring it to the party disguised as the competition. If HP comes out comparing screen resolution and front camera and multi-touch implementation and EA titles, they have already lost. I suspect this is what Palm supporters should worry about more than being labeled an iPhone killer. iPhone clone/wannabe is even worse.
    Yes, well, then it's good thing that this is just an article on some random Web site, and not anything actually from HP or Palm.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    the only phone that is an iphone killer is the iphone 4
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    With all the talk about the "iphone killer" phrase its easy to forget that this story is essentially a repeat of at least three other rumor stories in the last week - all citing the same source - a metrix report from Cloud Hopper.

I hope its true - I want a Pre replacement bad and Sprint needs one just as bad too but there is simply nothing new here, never mind remotely verified.
    No such device as an "iPhone killer". You have to beat the marketing department at Apple to "kill" the iPhone and convince tens of millions of people your device is better.

Creating a fantastic device is great, but it's only one part of the mix.
    I don't know about you guys, but I'm pretty excited about Rahul Sood's active interest in webOS. If he has anything to say about it, I'm pretty confident the hardware will be great. I would love to see a Voodoo webOS phone.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Ah. True enough. But again, blackberry has gone to great lengths to get inside the minds of the non-business users too. It's still the tool of choice for suburban soccer moms, non-feature-phone heavy texters, and folks that ned a phone that goes "both ways."
    Correction- It WAS the tool of choice for suburban soccer moms, non-feature-phone heavy texters, and folks that ned a phone that goes "both ways".

Unless BB does something HUGE, their marketshare will continually dwindle until they command only a niche of the market.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    I don't know about you guys, but I'm pretty excited about Rahul Sood's active interest in webOS. If he has anything to say about it, I'm pretty confident the hardware will be great. I would love to see a Voodoo webOS phone.
    Ain't that the truth.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast