1.    #1  
    I just read a article which makes very very good sense. A dual boot option for a HP tablet running webos/win7. Webos would of course bring the ipad mania being able to surf the web, check email, play games etc fast and easy. Then have the option to boot win7 to handle huge tasks, and programs giving the world the best of both worlds. I own a ipad and can say my only complaint is not being able to do some massive things that I can do on a regualar desktop. What do you think about that idea, me myself think that would be the nail in the coffin, and a new footprint for others to try and follow?

They Should Make It: HP Slate Dual Booting Win7 and WebOS - Techland - TIME.com
    Nope! It is a bad idea. I had a dual boot computer once and discovered that the two operating systems interfered with each other over the resources. The Video card and printers were my biggest problems as each operating system had their own drivers that when the last one loaded it blocked out the next. I also had a problem with memory allocation because one OS had a different memory handler than the other. As a result I kept getting “Not Enough Memory” errors which usually required a reboot. I will never, never, never, never, never, own a dual boot device again. Did I mention that I would never do it again?
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Nope. Get a decent office suite on WebOS and the webOS tablet pretty much takes the place of my macbook for most daily stuff. Then with my iMac at the office, I would never have to touch or think about Windows again.
    Quote Originally Posted by not-yet-pre View Post
    Nope! It is a bad idea. I had a dual boot computer once and discovered that the two operating systems interfered with each other over the resources.
    What you're saying doesn't make sense. I've been dual-booting (and sometimes triple- and quad-booting) for years. When switching to the other OS (which requires a reboot, or at the very least suspend-to-disk/hibernation) the memory is completely cleared out and everything is loaded as new with new address space maps created upon boot. Drivers from Windows, Mac, Linux, and BSD don't even sit in quite the same locations, never mind that they're all referenced differently by their respective OSes.

Even virtual machines and emulators don't work the way that you describe this, as the drivers are kept in protected memory spaces that do not overlap with the host OS.
    Giving users an option like this is great for power users, but for general users it's a bad idea. If the device starts up and asks what you want to do, rather than just doing it for you, it's bound to fail for the general masses. I think just a standard webOS tablet will sell itself.
    I think we will def see a dual OS tablet in HP future.
    HP QuickWeb

HP have been interested in boot options for years.

how it is executed is my only question. Will it replace quick web? If so... It will boot into webos, then you have the option to launch win7 from webOS if you need to crank out some productivity.

imo.... We will see this implemented at the very least as an option...on new HP slate / tablet
    I think dual booting works for people like us, but for the general public it will just confuse them. An iPad competitor needs to be clean, fast and sleek if they want any sort of shot against it.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo