Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Good day all,

Here is a LITTLE more info about the supposedly "NEW" Palm webOS phone. Within the blue highlighted paragraph, it refers to a different article. The second article is a list of supposed spec. I have enclosed that as well.

The links to both sites are also included.

If this is true I will start dancing in the streets.

Take care,

Jay

ARTICLE ONE:

Palm Pre 2 Leads Potential Verizon Device Releases This Fall

Palm Pre 2 Leads Potential Verizon Device Releases This Fall

It’s been more than a year since the release of the Palm Pre, which struggled in sales but developed quite a fan following in 2009. The hype leading up to the release was almost on an iPhone level, but failed to meet most expectations. Now, a few months after Palm’s sale to HP comes word that the second version of the device is slated for an October release.
    The website Phone Arena got its hands on some information from one of those famous “trusted sources" that outlines plans for Verizon Wireless phone releases this fall. While information about the Pre 2 is “held pretty tightly right now," the site is confident enough that it’s created a specs page for the potential smartphone.

Other releases of note – keeping in mind that none of these dates are confirmed – include a pair of BlackBerrys, the Storm 3 and the Curve 3. Samsung is also expected to debut a trio of phones, including the Fascinate, an Android Galaxy S phone similar to the “Captivate" over at AT&T.

One of the biggest smartphone releases of the fall could be the HTC Merge, Phone Arena says. It’s expected to sport a processor faster than 1GHz, as well as a 10-megapixel camera.

Some tablets are also on the horizon in November, according to the report. The highlight is probably the entourage eDGe, which is a dual-screen e-reader/Android tablet combo.

ARTICLE TWO:

Palm Pre 2

Palm Pre 2 (Phone Arena)

Information about it, please send it to: phonearena@phonearena.com
    Palm Pre 2 specifications
    Palm Pre 2 specifications
    Network
    Type
    CDMA dual band (800/1900 MHz)
    Data
    1xEV-DO rev.A
    3G Capable
    Yes
    Size

Battery
    Type
    Li - Ion
    Main Display
    Resolution

Type
    Color
    Touch Screen
    Capacitive, Multi-touch
    Camera
    Resolution

Multimedia
    Video Playback
    MPEG4, H.263, H.264
    Music Player
    MP3, AAC, AAC+, eAAC+, WAV, AMR
    Software
    Smartphone
    webOS
    Input
    Predictive Text Input
    Yes
    Connectivity
    Internet
    HTML, WAP 2.0
    USB
    microUSB
    WiFi
    802.11b/802.11g
    Bluetooth
    Yes
    Headphones connector
    3.5mm
    Other Features
    PhoneBook
    Capacity depends on system memory; Ring ID, Picture ID, Search by both first and last name, Multiple numbers per contact, Caller groups
    PIM
    Alarm, Calendar, To-Do / Tasks, Calculator, Notes, Memo
    Voice
    Recording, Speaker Phone
    Email
    IMAP/POP3/SMTP/Microsoft Exchange/Microsoft Direct Push e-mail/Push e-mail
    GPS
    GPS
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    WiFi B/G where is N?
    these are all specs that I ouldve guessed... Rumors are jus going around in circles to attract attention to diff web sites in big bright orange it says "The information for this phone is PRELIMINARY and could be incomplete or inaccurate. If you have any information about it, please send it to: phonearena@phonearena.com" so use the salt shakers.... Also all rumors were for sprint from the beginning... It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out at the end... I jus hope their device blows everyone away....
    Someone explain to me why these specs are worth talking about. I don't see it. Predictive text? I don't see it. Large grain of salt here please.
    This sums it up "The information for this phone is PRELIMINARY and could be incomplete or inaccurate. If you have any information about it, please send it to: phonearena@phonearena.com"

But thanks Jay - keep searching the web, we appreciate the articles you bring us
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    These specs are sorta crappy. It didn't even mention a front camera. I really want a camera on the front of the phone.
    I own a Verizon Palm Pre 2 running WebOS 2.0.1

Here to help and learn
    Thanks again Jay for catching....umm something. I would be more into specs like 8mp back and 3mp camera front, 16g ram and SD slot, 3.8" screen, 1000mhz snapdragon chip. Then it would at LEAST be up to date. Time will tell.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
    Wow! I didn't think you could get more generic than that LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by iTz Nicholas72 View Post
    WiFi B/G where is N?
    N is of little or no added value over G for small embedded devices like smartphones. They don't have the antenna space or power to take advantage of the increased range, and if 54MiB is not enough bandwidth for your smartphone, you're doing something HIGHLY unusual.
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    It is as if you said that the result a dog and a cat mating was a giraffe. It's so completely wrong, that it's difficult to argue with someone who believes it to be true.
    N is of little or no added value over G for small embedded devices like smartphones. They don't have the antenna space or power to take advantage of the increased range, and if 54MiB is not enough bandwidth for your smartphone, you're doing something HIGHLY unusual.
    One could say a similar thing about megapixels on the camera--doesn't mean a whole lot without a bigger aperture (though autofocus would be nice).
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by Finally Pre View Post
    Thanks again Jay for catching....umm something. I would be more into specs like 8mp back and 3mp camera front, 16g ram and SD slot, 3.8" screen, 1000mhz snapdragon chip. Then it would at LEAST be up to date. Time will tell.
    8mp is to high for todays technology. Your increased iso noise undoes the increased pixel count. 6mp is more than high enough, Unless you want to print big pictures.

Your 1080p screen is less than 2mp. What percentage of your pictures do you print?

5-6 megapixels is more than enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    One could say a similar thing about megapixels on the camera--doesn't mean a whole lot without a bigger aperture (though autofocus would be nice).
    +1
    I agree 100%
    However, the average consumer will see 8mp and go WOW I have to have it and still my Pre at 3.1 takes a nicer picture. lol. But the 8mp one will sell more just because it sounds better.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

We want them!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    8mp is to high for todays technology. Your increased iso noise undoes the increased pixel count. 6mp is more than high enough, Unless you want to print big pictures.

Your 1080p screen is less than 2mp. What percentage of your pictures do you print?

5-6 megapixels is more than enough.
    I tell people all the time that all you need is around 3mp for a great 8x10 print. I leave the 8 for my big camera and larger prints. Then try to send an 8mp picture. If you hate someone then send them.

We want them!!!
    Disappointing specs....this alone is enough for me to disregard the Phone Arena "SPECulation"....As quite as Palm is I highly doubt these rumors...
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    As a matter of fact, I've said that very thing, in very nearly those exact words, more times than I could count.

Improving technology is all about removing bottlenecks. There's no point in increasing WiFi bandwidth when the available bandwidth is already 10x as fast as the average home internet connection and who knows how many times faster than the phone can actually use; and there's no point in putting a higher resolution sensor in the camera when you're still using a crappy little plastic lens with fixed focus and fixed aperture.
    It is as if you said that the result a dog and a cat mating was a giraffe. It's so completely wrong, that it's difficult to argue with someone who believes it to be true.
    802.11n is about more than increasing bandwidth. It has improvements in handling interference, reflections/refractions and other timing oddities, and range. IIRC, transmitting a given quantity of data over .11n is also more power-efficient, since the transmitter is used for a shorter interval.
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Blank View Post
    802.11n is about more than increasing bandwidth. It has improvements in handling interference, reflections/refractions and other timing oddities, and range. IIRC, transmitting a given quantity of data over .11n is also more power-efficient, since the transmitter is used for a shorter interval.
    I believe that is only the case for N on the 5.0ghz band, which means putting extra antennas in the devices. Any way you slice it, the average consumer would see, at best, marginal performance gains and significant increases in cost and size.

I would MUCH rather see those resources go into improved display tech, larger storage capacity, battery technology, etc.

On the other hand, adding N would probably do wonders for marketability. A lot of people will take one look and say, "ooooooooo, shiney."
    I only asked because I thought I would get better range. My Pre+ gets horrible range on my familys network while my sisters 1st gen iTouch does sooo much better.

Maybe they could add a lens with 2x optical zoom. It isn't much but it's something that hasn't been dine yet...
    I believe that is only the case for N on the 5.0ghz band, which means putting extra antennas in the devices.
    It works for the 2.4GHz band, too. Most of the protocol is very similar across both bands. The major differences in the 5GHz band have to do with things like not broadcasting when a radar signal is detected (802.11h), something that is specific to that band. The other aspects, including spectrum width, timing, and signal modulation, are shared.
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    Not really. N adds a lot of value, especially on a home network where you can stream high def movies. My network would be all N, but sinceI havemy Pre, I have to run both G and N.

If the Pre 2 gains the ability to record in 1080p, you could potentially stream a movie from your pre to your Computer/TV. N is vital for seemless streaming
    in this case.

I rather have it, especially since other phones have it, meaning the prices for such radios have come down.
    Just my Opinion
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast