Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just got of the phone with my sprint guy. I mentioned I heard that a new palm was coming out in october. He didn't deny it he said yea a palm by hp. Don't know what the truth is but just wanted to put the word out!!
    If only all these speculations were true. Guess we have to wait and see. Huh?
    Yes it's coming. I don't know any more than you do, but Palm hasn't been sitting on their hands for the past year.

It's coming, the only questions are when and will it be enough. I hope the answer is soon and yes.
    well if palm hasn't been sitting on their hands they've sure been sitting on their lips...it been a whole year, i mean not one little blur pic, mention, etc...and i dont mean "yes, we will make future products" duh thats a given. for a brand that is so far behind the competition does it make sense from a business stand point to keep dragging the issue?
    Anyone who does know anything is probably under a NDA.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    We wouldn't be here today, if laws wern't broken.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    I'm guessing in this economy, palm employees value their job too much to leak a pic.
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    I was in the Verizon store yesterday, wondering how much it would be for a family plan with two smart phones. I specifically ask for Palm phones, the rep replies:

"Are you sure you don't want an android phone? I mean, Palm is on shaky grounds, and we don't have any in stock. I am not sure when they are going to have new phone"

I persisted, and said, I enjoy Palm's rich WebOS integration...

He than added, "Ok, I can call around, and offer you two Palm Pres for $50 bucks... NO rebate, this week only..."

Verizon is running low on Pres in the store I went to, it sounds like a product refresh is near. I just hope it's not a brand refresh, and with "Palm, by HP". With nothing but new logos, legal agreements, and increased marketing to fight against the fruit company.

On a side note, I don't think HP gives a **** about carrier relationships, they can sell their phones direct to corporate channels, which is very very very very large. Which means they will release the phones to what ever network they want, or whenever R&D finishes their testing.

HP's servers are king these days, no one wants to touch dell anymore. The other day, the hp sale rep I spoke with said they have no problems selling any of their products with their corporate customers during IT refreshes.
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 08/18/2010 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Language - we are a PG13 forum...do not circumvent the auto censor
    Quote Originally Posted by nicekyo View Post
    I was in the Verizon store yesterday, wondering how much it would be for a family plan with two smart phones. I specifically ask for Palm phones, the rep replies:

"Are you sure you don't want an android phone? I mean, Palm is on shaky grounds, and we don't have any in stock. I am not sure when they are going to have new phone"

I persisted, and said, I enjoy Palm's rich WebOS integration...

He than added, "Ok, I can call around, and offer you two Palm Pres for $50 bucks... NO rebate, this week only..."

Verizon is running low on Pres in the store I went to, it sounds like a product refresh is near. I just hope it's not a brand refresh, and with "Palm, by HP". With nothing but new logos, legal agreements, and increased marketing to fight against the fruit company.

On a side note, I don't think HP gives a **** about carrier relationships, they can sell their phones direct to corporate channels, which is very very very very large. Which means they will release the phones to what ever network they want, or whenever R&D finishes their testing.

HP's servers are king these days, no one wants to touch dell anymore. The other day, the hp sale rep I spoke with said they have no problems selling any of their products with their corporate customers during IT refreshes.
    As are their printers in the corporate world.
    It would be a HUGE mistake for HP to ignore (not give a ****) about carriers. There is only so much you can do with corporate channels. Especially when the corporate world is heavily invested in BB (and Palm does not have much to pull them away from that).

EDIT: Of course a sales rep is going to say that... Trust me... Dell is holding onto there market share fairly well.
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 08/18/2010 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Language - we are a PG13 forum...do not circumvent the auto censor
    Quote Originally Posted by saluki42 View Post
    As are their printers in the corporate world.
    BTW HP has lost some traction in the SMB segment for printers.
    Are companies likely to buy phones through a HP "corporate channel". In my experience companies(in the UK) negotiate directly with carriers to get the best deals on voice and data tariffs. Not sure too much thought goes into the handset choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by hagster View Post
    Are companies likely to buy phones through a HP "corporate channel". In my experience companies(in the UK) negotiate directly with carriers to get the best deals on voice and data tariffs. Not sure too much thought goes into the handset choice.
    gotta agree with hagster, after all when was the last time you saw someone rocking a HP iPaq Glisten? I've never seen one "in the wild" myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post
    If only all these speculations were true. Guess we have to wait and see. Huh?
    you are right,but,lately there are many many rumors and they are all saying pretty much the same thing so in my opinion that is a great sign.
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    What is the advantage of Palm not talking if they have a new device coming? Wouldn't getting a little hype be of benefit? The only thing that comes to mind is: they don't want people to know something new is coming out because that would leave them with folks waiting for that rather than helping them to empty out their inventory of the old devices. Other Theories? Don't want the competition to target the palm upgrades for ideas for their own works-in-progress? But just saying that one is comming out soon and leaving no details wouldn't hurt would it?
  16.    #16  
    I'm thinking they don't wana say anything because when the pre came out the fruit squished it's momentum quickly with the release of 3g s phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by anjm2004 View Post
    I'm thinking they don't wana say anything because when the pre came out the fruit squished it's momentum quickly with the release of 3g s phone.
    Plus....there are Pre(s) being sold. Not quickly, but they are.

IF they announce that there will be a new device in 2 months.......there will be VERY few sold after that. Better to sell of as much inventory as possible for as long as possible.
    One thing I keep hearing from people is that "Palm better get this out in the next week or two or I am outta here!". Look, HPalm is not dumb and they know since they have waited this long it only makes sense to release right before the big holiday shopping season.
    I agree with the last two post one of course if they announce something too soon, it will hurt their sales of the overstock inventory that they have currently with Verizon and AT&T. Though for some reason they dont really care about sprints inventory, hence not even offering a spiff like a 50 gift card if you buy the sprints version. As well as sprint still sells the pre very high? Of course they are making sure that a release of their newly aquired company Palm/Webos this holiday season is not only a hit, but equipped with the very best hardware money can buy currently. What giant like HP would dare release devices that are not beyond the bar of competition, after spending 1.2 billion, and placing all of their chances of entering the smartphone, and tablet divison on these things without making sure it can not only competite, but have its best chancing at dominating. Lets face it folks forget the current mind share for Webos, Hp understands this, as do the left over Palm employees. I really think right now HP is trying to make sure that the rebirth of Webos is very very competitive this time around, so to me them taking their time to make sure everything is right with hardware, and specs is more then ok to me. I also believe they will be releasing these devices to mulitple carriers within a month or two of each other this holiday, the first being sprint and Verizon which makes sense developing a device for two CDMA compaines and both will have 4G technology this fall.
    Maybe they learned their lesson on announcing something too soon with the Pre....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast