Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    215 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mjsmiley View Post
    What is the advantage of Palm not talking if they have a new device coming? Wouldn't getting a little hype be of benefit? The only thing that comes to mind is: they don't want people to know something new is coming out because that would leave them with folks waiting for that rather than helping them to empty out their inventory of the old devices. Other Theories? Don't want the competition to target the palm upgrades for ideas for their own works-in-progress? But just saying that one is comming out soon and leaving no details wouldn't hurt would it?
    1. Inventory left with Verizon and AT&T
    2. Merging Palm with HP takes time, and HP has to approve everything now.
    3. Palm wants to blow the competition away with their new phone.
    Sprint Palm 2 - Developer Mode - 2.1.0
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    I agree with the last two post one of course if they announce something too soon, it will hurt their sales of the overstock inventory that they have currently with Verizon and AT&T. Though for some reason they dont really care about sprints inventory, hence not even offering a spiff like a 50 gift card if you buy the sprints version. As well as sprint still sells the pre very high? Of course they are making sure that a release of their newly aquired company Palm/Webos this holiday season is not only a hit, but equipped with the very best hardware money can buy currently. What giant like HP would dare release devices that are not beyond the bar of competition, after spending 1.2 billion, and placing all of their chances of entering the smartphone, and tablet divison on these things without making sure it can not only competite, but have its best chancing at dominating. Lets face it folks forget the current mind share for Webos, Hp understands this, as do the left over Palm employees. I really think right now HP is trying to make sure that the rebirth of Webos is very very competitive this time around, so to me them taking their time to make sure everything is right with hardware, and specs is more then ok to me. I also believe they will be releasing these devices to mulitple carriers within a month or two of each other this holiday, the first being sprint and Verizon which makes sense developing a device for two CDMA compaines and both will have 4G technology this fall.
    I would have to somewhat disagree with that. Wasn't it said that the device was already in final state before the companies merged? If so, I highly, highly doubt that HP/Palm would be able to make hardware modifications at all. Moreover, if that happened, then that would mean even more delay to the launch of the device. However, assuming that the initial rumored specs that were "leaked" in the beginning (ie 3.8"-4.0" screen, OMAP 4, etc) were true, then it could turn out to be a very well done device hardware wise. The 2nd big step would be the OS, which is where I believe HP is helping out the most. I think that the hardware is all set, but I think that the OS is getting the most man/woman power to get it to where the rest of the mobile OSes are at, and also the famous 2.0 update .
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    ...What giant like HP would dare release devices that are not beyond the bar of competition, ...
    So were you a big fan of the HP iPAQ Glisten? It's such the iFone killer.
    I hate it when I start to read the titles to these threads only to discover the question mark at the end.

I'm Ron Burgundy?
    Quote Originally Posted by camiller View Post
    It was a very solid device aimed at a COMPLETELY different market (100% business over social networking or multimedia), just as the original iPaq phones were.
    Quote Originally Posted by IGNTNUNLMTD View Post
    It was a very solid device aimed at a COMPLETELY different market (100% business over social networking or multimedia), just as the original iPaq phones were.
    But hardly a device that's 'beyond the bar of competition' in any smartphone sub-category. I like someone else's analogy I read on this site. HP takes all kinds of products, throws them at the wall, and then sees what sticks. Have you read anything about the Zeen and it's truly appalling specs? Is that another example of your 'beyond the bar of competition' that HP strives so hard to achieve?
    Oh Kupe. How I wish I had your life of leisure, every breathing minute devoted solely to the hallowed task of telling Palm users that their phones and everything that ever touched them is crap and always has been.

How I wish Google had bought Palm, just to see you rail against them. I wonder whether you would've used the "evil privacy hog proto-skynet" angle. It's very predictable, but so is everything else you've posted to this forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Oh Kupe. How I wish I had your life of leisure, every breathing minute devoted solely to the hallowed task of telling Palm users that their phones and everything that ever touched them is crap and always has been.

How I wish Google had bought Palm, just to see you rail against them. I wonder whether you would've used the "evil privacy hog proto-skynet" angle. It's very predictable, but so is everything else you've posted to this forum.
    Glad I could help.

Shouldn't you be staying on topic here or do you spend your life of leisure policing these forums?
    Quote Originally Posted by camiller View Post
    im of course stating now that they have their own OS, the IPaq if I remember correctly was a WM phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by lxAMNxl View Post
    I would have to somewhat disagree with that. Wasn't it said that the device was already in final state before the companies merged? If so, I highly, highly doubt that HP/Palm would be able to make hardware modifications at all. Moreover, if that happened, then that would mean even more delay to the launch of the device. However, assuming that the initial rumored specs that were "leaked" in the beginning (ie 3.8"-4.0" screen, OMAP 4, etc) were true, then it could turn out to be a very well done device hardware wise. The 2nd big step would be the OS, which is where I believe HP is helping out the most. I think that the hardware is all set, but I think that the OS is getting the most man/woman power to get it to where the rest of the mobile OSes are at, and also the famous 2.0 update .
    correct the device was in its final stages before the merger, but one would have to assume even if it was up to par to the competition at the time, Palm of course was resource slaved. So the supposed C40 most likely lacked alot, considering before the HP buyout, it prob wasent anything great as a successor. Also as stated by another person in this forum the Omap 4 is most likely not ready for mass consumption until dec 2010 or early 2011. Assuming that is true we most likely will have a some sort of qualcam, snapdragon chipset if it is released anytime for the holidays (of course assuming HP couldnt get their hands on the omap4 chip, which would be great if they do). I do agree with you on the OS for the other part of the delay, I believe they want to release the next device running webos 2.0 instead of releasing it then trying to upgrade months after (which is smart IMO). I guess hopefully HP will shed some light on this new smartphone ASAP, because I for one am tired of just rumors.
    yeah rite
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12