Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    I have not had service on my phone for a while but I miss getting apps from the official catalog. When the palm pad comes out how will this work. It sucks that I have to be tied to sprint to get apps from Palm. the two should be separate. Any thoughts/ideas?
    Not sure how anyone is supposed to answer this when there isn't even a PalmPad yet. It hasn't been officially tied to any particular service yet either. You're just going to have to wait and see what/where HP releases a pad.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    I just want the Palm app catalog to be independent of itself so I don't have to pay a lot of $ each month just so I can get apps.
    If it has WiFi, like the phones, then it can be used without a carrier dataplan.

Wisely enough, even Apple did this with their iPads, you don't have to use them locked to a certain carrier and if you aren't worried about 3G, then the WiFi models are even cheaper.

I can only assume HPalm would do that same, since not having WiFi on them, when so many others on the market do, would not be a very smart business move!
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    ^^agreed... I would certainly imagine there wouldn't be a requirement for a data plan at all, but I'm sure they will be offered cheaper with service (subsidized). Don't get me wrong up above... I'm with you! I'll be one of the first in line when these come out, but won't buy if I'm required to get a data plan (which I doubt). I agree with verwon that they will most likely go the route of Apple and make the catalog available via wifi. Here's hoping the do it right the first time out of the box!
    Palm would be stupid if they don't release a wifi only model.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    I know it's crazy but it would be great if Palm made the "Pad" (dear God I hope it's not another "pad" just call it a tablet maybe even the WebLET) that could connect to all WebOS devices and share their data connection without the hotspot app.
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    ..I know it's crazy but it would be great if Palm made the "Pad" (dear God I hope it's not another "pad" just call it a tablet maybe even the WebLET)....
    Haha... totally agree... I hate the 'pad' name. WebOS 'tablet', or 'slate', or 'driftwood' for all I care... just not 'pad'.

I'm wishing you could share your Palm Profile between the devices too...
    I wonder if they will use the same Palm profile concept? Will you be able to move your apps between your phone and your driftwood (I like that name, as long as the thing is shaped like driftwood)?
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    Wisely enough, even Apple did this with their iPads, you don't have to use them locked to a certain carrier and if you aren't worried about 3G, then the WiFi models are even cheaper.
    Of course the Apple model forces you to install apps via iTunes and not OTA, so even if you don't have wifi at home at least you can install new apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    Android does this too. The only account you need to have is a free Gmail account.
    I have a Evo now but i still use my pre offline would love to still be able to buy apps or should i say games. seems like there losing money by not letting me buy games for a non carrier active phone. I love the gameloft games thinking about getting a Itouch just for gameloft games. so come on palm open the doors let me buy the games i want. my only other option at this time is to download them off the net which helps know one and my games dont get the updates and its not legal so for gods sake let me buy some damn games
    I wouldn't worry about the Palm pad. It will most likely be a fail, like almost everything else palm has been doing lately.
    I own a Verizon Palm Pre 2 running WebOS 2.0.1

Here to help and learn
    Quote Originally Posted by slayerpsp View Post
    I have a Evo now but i still use my pre offline would love to still be able to buy apps or should i say games. seems like there losing money by not letting me buy games for a non carrier active phone. I love the gameloft games thinking about getting a Itouch just for gameloft games. so come on palm open the doors let me buy the games i want. my only other option at this time is to download them off the net which helps know one and my games dont get the updates and its not legal so for gods sake let me buy some damn games
    If you are going to get a iTouch, I suggest you wait. I heard they are supposed to make a new iTouch that is like the iPhone 4, except phoneless. Sort of how the latest iTouch is basically the iPhone 3GS, except phoneless.

But, I just ordered an iPad. Cuz I don't like PC laptops, but I couldn't afford a Macbook. So I have the iPad coming, and when I really want to write, I can connect the iPad to the wireless bluetooth keyboard.

Here to help and learn
    This is prob a stupid question, but I turn my phone off sometimes and just have wifi on, and am able to download/buy apps. So wy aren't you able to turn ur service off (airplane mode) and just use wifi?

Are you still logged into ur Palm Profile? If so I think you'd be able to get games over wifi.
    http://<font color="Navy">Poll: Requ...r webOS</font>

Coming soon-Calm Alarm
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Palm Pimp.
    Comes with 2 free Pixis.
    Quote Originally Posted by SmoothCriminal View Post
    If you are going to get a iTouch, I suggest you wait. I heard they are supposed to make a new iTouch that is like the iPhone 4, except phoneless. Sort of how the latest iTouch is basically the iPhone 3GS, except phoneless.

But, I just ordered an iPad. Cuz I don't like PC laptops, but I couldn't afford a Macbook. So I have the iPad coming, and when I really want to write, I can connect the iPad to the wireless bluetooth keyboard.
    Yeah for $2000 you can get a $600 laptop, and 42" Plasma/LCD for $550, an HD video cam for $50, a home stereo system for $600, and then a used ps3/xbox for $200.

Or you could buy one macbook. Ltm
    http://<font color="Navy">Poll: Requ...r webOS</font>

Coming soon-Calm Alarm
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Palm Pimp.
    Comes with 2 free Pixis.
    Quote Originally Posted by imop45 View Post
    Yeah for $2000 you can get a $600 laptop, and 42" Plasma/LCD for $550, an HD video cam for $50, a home stereo system for $600, and then a used ps3/xbox for $200.

Or you could buy one macbook. Ltm
    I don't like PC's! Numerous PC's of mine have crashed and I have to pay hundreds for virus protections.

And, besides, it wasn't my choice. Someone ordered it for me as a surprise. What am I supposed to say "You could of just bought a PC laptop instead of buying an iPad!"? Uhh, no. That's rude. And I should be happy they were so nice.

Here to help and learn
    I'm sure palm will make things work if/when they deliver a tapblet...
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    That's what i'm saying. Palm should allow users to access their catalog and buy apps independently of weather or not they have phone service. It's just stupid and Palm is losing $ because I would be buying apps if I could.
    you dont need service to buy apps, if your using it without service but still want to download apps, you can just turn on the wifi while logged onto your palm profile and download them just fine, are you trying that?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast