Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by omgitsjordan View Post
    you dont need service to buy apps, if your using it without service but still want to download apps, you can just turn on the wifi while logged onto your palm profile and download them just fine, are you trying that?
    It's not possible to log on to palm profile after doctoring unless you have service with a cellular provider. I am using pre in developer mode, and it has been reiterated many times on palm's website that the app catalog is not available for developer phones.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    I know for a fact that the palm pad and Android pad are coming soon. I have a friend that makes and designs the packaging and marketing materials for these devices. For whatever reasons he said a veil of secrecy is over both of these products. Android and palm units are the same except for os. Both are hp and should be coming out at the same time.
    On a side note, I have an evo but my pre is still fully functional. I used the kill radio patch before sprint could send the shut off signal. Palm profile and app store still work. Another cool features is that my contacts list updates as I update it on my evo, even contact photos.
    Let me make sure I understand this correctly. OP, and others, you want a Palm branded device that is not tied to any phone or 3G service, and allows you to download apps, mostly games. Do I have that right? Is there any reason, besides hate of Apple, that you will not consider an already shipping, industry leading, satisfaction chart busting, critically acclaimed, app laden iDevice already on the market? The games you want to play are just ports from iDevices, so what do you gain by waiting for a WebOS device like the one you are talking about in this thread?
    dandbj13, that is a good question and it's one I've been asking myself.
    I am impressed by the smooth operation of the iPad and wouldn't mind having one... There is SOMETHING keeping me from purchasing it. I'd like to say it's openness, but the truth is I AM a Palm fan. No better than being an Apple fan, honestly.
    HOWEVER, after a few iPad competitors come out, I'll choose the one that does most of the things I want... And that still may be the iPad.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Let me make sure I understand this correctly. OP, and others, you want a Palm branded device that is not tied to any phone or 3G service, and allows you to download apps, mostly games. Do I have that right? Is there any reason, besides hate of Apple, that you will not consider an already shipping, industry leading, satisfaction chart busting, critically acclaimed, app laden iDevice already on the market? The games you want to play are just ports from iDevices, so what do you gain by waiting for a WebOS device like the one you are talking about in this thread?
    Because a lot of us aren't fans of Apple... and the device is a limited generation 1 device. No multitasking (no background apps at all), no USB support, can't natively view PDF files, no camera, no GPS in wifi-only model, no Flash support (ever?).

I like Apple's designers, but I'd much rather stay away from them because of their heavy-handed control policies. Besides, their first generation device is a nice, larger iTouch... and the competitors now see what the public actually wants... /my 2 cents.
    I simply expect more abilities on a "pad" device from HP. USB, SD, WebOS, Flash, etc.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    I have had an ipod touch in the past, I was also wondering (don't hate me forum) if android devices are able to download apps without being tied to carriers?
    Well also I have used macs in the past and have had problems with breaking them. Pc's are just natural to me.
    I would like to have all 3 devices actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by double1 View Post
    I have had an ipod touch in the past, I was also wondering (don't hate me forum) if android devices are able to download apps without being tied to carriers?
    Yes - Android apps are tied to Gmail accounts.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Because a lot of us aren't fans of Apple...
    You would have been better off stopping right there. Still, I will treat it as if you are presenting a real argument. iDevices don't REQUIRE Apple fans; iDevices CREATE Apple fans. See the difference. Half the people who walk into Apple stores and buy things are new to Apple. That has been a constant fact for several years.

...the device is a limited generation 1 device.
    What will that make the pPad? The iPad was in development before the iPhone. It's final version was based on the iPod touch, the most popular consumer device of the day. That can't be easily dismissed as a"gen 1" product. The pPad will be based on nothing, and made by a company that has never produced a popular tablet device, despite their best efforts.

No multitasking (no background apps at all), no USB support, can't natively view PDF files, no camera, no GPS in wifi-only model, no Flash support (ever?).
    Half truths, FUD, and irrelevancies. Let's just go on pretending that iOS 4 is not a free upgrade and just around the corner. iPhone OS 3 backgrounds native apps just fine. Most games save the state when you leave them. Music from the iPod and everything streaming from iTunes and QT keep playing. The GPS keeps tracking, etc... What you don't have is a fast switching mechanism, yet. Big deal! I view PDFs all the time. USB, SD card, camera, why stop there? What do you want to do with a USB port that can't be done with BT or WF? Camera? Really? I have all my photos on the iPad without any extra devices or dongles. No SD card deeded. There is also no parallel or PS2 port, cooling fan, boom mic, LED light, Swiss army knife, or toaster. Tell me again what any of those things have to do with the core function of the device?

I like Apple's designers,.
    Kill me with faint praise.

I'd much rather stay away from them because of their heavy-handed control policies.
    These are like the words to a religious hymn; you sing the words, but they have no meaning in the real world. I would argue that Apple's heavy-handed control policies have enabled more ordinary people to do high-end things with simplicity and elegance, but that is a different topic. With more diversity of apps and function in the iOS ecosystem than any other portable system known to man, you are never going to convince anyone who USES an iDevice that they are under heavy-handed control.

Besides, their first generation device is a nice, larger iTouch...
    An SUV is a nice, larger car... Ignoring all the obvious flaws with that logic, how is that a bad thing. A larger iPod touch is exactly the type of device the OP said he wanted. You can download apps without a contract, and play world-class, portable games on the undisputed best touchscreen device on the market.

...and the competitors now see what the public actually wants...
    This last line is hard to dissect as I don't know what you mean. Are you suggesting that the public actually wants an iPad, so all competitors have to do now is copy it? I suppose that's the HP way; Envy. My bigger point is that for the people who don't have a pathological hatred of Apple, the iPad is exactly what they want. It is already shipping and is quite affordable for what it is. It does what they need and want it to do, even without a parallel port.

Waiting on a Palm branded, HP device for the app ecosystem on a larger device seems irrational to me. It sounds like what people around here want is an iPad with a Palm logo on it. Buy a sticker. Problem solved.
    Disclaimer: I've used every OS out there. They all suck. I am, however, somewhat more critical of Apple since they want to appear "hip".

You would have been better off stopping right there. Still, I will treat it as if you are presenting a real argument. iDevices don't REQUIRE Apple fans; iDevices CREATE Apple fans. See the difference. Half the people who walk into Apple stores and buy things are new to Apple. That has been a constant fact for several years.
    Apple is an evil corporation (redundant, I know), and I'll explain why: they take away user freedoms while painting their competitors or offending technologies as broken or uncool. It's like a politician that solely bashes their opponent rather than promoting themselves and commending shared ideals. Now AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $there$ $are$ $no$ &$quot$;$good$&$quot$; $corporations$, $so$ $saying$ $that$ $Apple$ $is$ &$quot$;$evil$&$quot$; $is$ $only$ $relative$ $to$ $the$ &$quot$;$evil$&$quot$; $of$ $other$ $corporations$ ($even$ $Palm$ $tried$ $to$ $hack$ $into$ $Apple$'$s$ $iTunes$ $enterprise$). $iDevices$ $do$ $indeed$ $CREATE$ $Apple$ $fans$, $but$ $only$ $out$ $of$ $people$ $who$ $are$ $willing$ $to$ $give$ $up$ $certain$ $freedoms$, $and$ $usually$ $for$ $the$ $sake$ $of$ $smarmy$ $egoism$.

What will that make the pPad? The iPad was in development before the iPhone. It's final version was based on the iPod touch, the most popular consumer device of the day. That can't be easily dismissed as a"gen 1" product. The pPad will be based on nothing, and made by a company that has never produced a popular tablet device, despite their best efforts.
    Correct that the iPad had some significant history to it, so it's not so much a 1st gen, and that much less revolutionary. Much like the Pre, there will be unforeseen hardware shortcomings from the 1st generation palmPad. However, I believe it is safe to expect a very strong showing from the OS side with webOS 2.0.

Half truths, FUD, and irrelevancies. Let's just go on pretending that iOS 4 is not a free upgrade and just around the corner. iPhone OS 3 backgrounds native apps just fine. Most games save the state when you leave them. Music from the iPod and everything streaming from iTunes and QT keep playing. The GPS keeps tracking, etc... What you don't have is a fast switching mechanism, yet. Big deal! I view PDFs all the time. USB, SD card, camera, why stop there? What do you want to do with a USB port that can't be done with BT or WF? Camera? Really? I have all my photos on the iPad without any extra devices or dongles. No SD card deeded. There is also no parallel or PS2 port, cooling fan, boom mic, LED light, Swiss army knife, or toaster. Tell me again what any of those things have to do with the core function of the device?
    Apple's camera-lens Vaseline is apparently effective. By limiting the technologies included in devices, they are limiting innovation that they cannot even comprehend to maintain their image of infallibility. Imagine, if you will, the palmPad is released with the ability to use two portrait-oriented apps side-by-side while holding it in a landscape orientation. How many people who use or develop for iPods, iPhones, and iPads have even considered the possibilities with that? Here are some use-cases: 1) being able to play a webOS game while having the guide/walkthrough open on the same screen. 2) Chatting with a friend through the unified messenger while watching a youtube clip they sent you. 3) Chatting with multiple friends through multiple messenger windows. 4) Recording video/taking pictures with a back-facing camera while video-chatting with a front-facing camera.

The more tools you can provide the masses, the faster technology and innovation will grow. Note: Yes, I am aware of the additional technologies in the iPhone that others don't have, but true multitasking is HUGE.

Kill me with faint praise.
    I may dislike Apple, but I would be hard-pressed to find better-designed devices. However, since we're talking about it, the Pre just fits in your hand and the matte-textured back panel is sublime. It is the most comfortable phone I have ever used. But that's just my $0.02. There are plenty of people who don't agree with me, but let's not forget how many design awards the Pre has garnered. Heck, Jobs even praised Palm's work.

These are like the words to a religious hymn; you sing the words, but they have no meaning in the real world. I would argue that Apple's heavy-handed control policies have enabled more ordinary people to do high-end things with simplicity and elegance, but that is a different topic. With more diversity of apps and function in the iOS ecosystem than any other portable system known to man, you are never going to convince anyone who USES an iDevice that they are under heavy-handed control.
    So are you saying that iDevice users are suffering from Stockholm Syndrome or that, "it is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into." (Jonathan Swift)?

An SUV is a nice, larger car... Ignoring all the obvious flaws with that logic, how is that a bad thing. A larger iPod touch is exactly the type of device the OP said he wanted. You can download apps without a contract, and play world-class, portable games on the undisputed best touchscreen device on the market.
    The issue is that people were expecting a magical device that finally united the power of desktop OSes and the elegance of touchscreen interfaces. Apple let everyone down because they aren't magicians as many would like to believe; they're engineers just like anyone else out there. HPalm won't have that magic either, but they will have a better UI.

This last line is hard to dissect as I don't know what you mean. Are you suggesting that the public actually wants an iPad, so all competitors have to do now is copy it? I suppose that's the HP way; Envy. My bigger point is that for the people who don't have a pathological hatred of Apple, the iPad is exactly what they want. It is already shipping and is quite affordable for what it is. It does what they need and want it to do, even without a parallel port.
    In point of fact, the iPad actually isn't what people wanted, it's what people settled for. Again, they wanted a fusion of desktop power and handheld elegance, and instead they got more of the same, with a bigger screen. Apple's "evil" once again shows itself trying to convince the user that they don't know what they really want; Big Brother Apple has their best interest at heart. Admittedly, their behavior could be a result of unrealistic expectations from indoctrinated masses, so I can't rip into them too hard. Many PC corporations just plain don't know what the consumer wants, so they just copy Apple. It's usually a mistake, but I must say that the HP Envy series should be celebrated as one of the best PC alternatives to MacBook design. Not since the ThinkPad have I actually LIKED the design of a PC laptop.

Waiting on a Palm branded, HP device for the app ecosystem on a larger device seems irrational to me. It sounds like what people around here want is an iPad with a Palm logo on it. Buy a sticker. Problem solved.
    I wouldn't be surprised that what many people around here want is an iPad with a Palm logo on it. That's blind hatred at its finest. Thankfully, I trust that the palmPad (ugh I hate that name) will not simply be a knock-off, even if just for the beauty that is webOS.

Let me finish this by saying I have recently tried the iPhone 4, the Nexus One, the Captivate, and the Droid. Pardon the slang, but even with all their power, all their screen resolutions, and all their applications, they are JANKY by comparison to a Homebrew Pre (not even plus). I purport that anyone who finds those phones to best the Pre are not true power users of webOS. They don't use multitasking to the fullest, they don't play the games, they don't use synergy, they don't overclock their kernel (almost a necessity, unfortunately), or patch and customize the interface.

I won't be jumping ship anytime soon, but HPalm needs to release some strong hardware, and soon before people become too entrenched in Android or iOS ecosystems to give a better OS a chance.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Yes - Android apps are tied to Gmail accounts.
    So then I could buy an android device and be able to download apps without activating the phone under a cellular carrier, correct?
    I have an iPad and love it. Mainly because of the big screen and crazy battery life, but I still prefer webOS and can only imagine how amazing it is going to be on a screen the size of the iPad's. I also really want iOS 4 on my iPad Apple! Hurry up already.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12