Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    100 makes a big deal to most people... they arent looking to spend that muh... heck i sell the samsung impression on att for 125-50 mail in rebate = 75 end user cost.. but why would they buy that when for 125 more they can get an iPhone , Galaxy S, torch etc....
    Hi all, Thank you for the info.

I am dancing in the streets over this news. My Centro contract with V ends mid Oct....S has a much better pricing deal (at least for my needs, than V).

It looks as if both S & V will both have their webOS phones out by the time I am ready...and I can choose which one to go with!

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    I could see a slightly repackaged (hardware improved)/rebranded (HP branded?) version of the Pre Plus being sold by Sprint as a mid level phone or low-end smartphone. There are many phones widely available (e.g. feature phones) which are far less capable than the original and plus models.

<snip>

I'm not arguing that I do or do not believe that the Plus is coming to Sprint. I'm merely pointing out that to make the argument that such a move (either by Palm or by Sprint) is illogical, is itself a fallacious argument. The Plused models may still have life in them if repackaged (hardware improved) and marketed to the right audience.
    I don't disagree, but I think what everyone does not want to see is Sprint rolling out the Plus models and say "Look everyone, we have a new webOS device!! Oh, you wanted something to challenge Android hardware? Oh, hopefully Palm will release something else soon."

So I guess what I am saying is that if HP really does what to release the Plus on Sprint, they better, at the same time, announce what will be that high end level phone.

Why? Because people here will then be debating the that Plus the end and when will a new high end phone come out. Some people have said they would use an upgrade to get a Plus. They would really rather have the high end device, but in absence they may settle for the Plus. What if that high device is still no where on the horizon?
    If they release a plus for sprint. They have given up and should call themselves rim and release the same phone with minor updates once or twice a year.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    There is no Palm device coming in September. That's not even possible at this point.
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    There's really little room in the smartphone pricing space to have a high end and a low-end device. The iPhone 4 is $199 and $299. So you put your high end phone at $250 and your low end phone at $99? Who, exactly is going to buy a $99 phone when for $100 more you can get an iPhone 4?
    Those are the prices with a two year contract, and it makes a huge difference. When you see the no-contract prices, they tend to be $400 for the Pre Plus, and even $500 in some places.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    I don't disagree, but I think what everyone does not want to see is Sprint rolling out the Plus models and say "Look everyone, we have a new webOS device!! Oh, you wanted something to challenge Android hardware? Oh, hopefully Palm will release something else soon."

So I guess what I am saying is that if HP really does what to release the Plus on Sprint, they better, at the same time, announce what will be that high end level phone.

Why? Because people here will then be debating the that Plus the end and when will a new high end phone come out. Some people have said they would use an upgrade to get a Plus. They would really rather have the high end device, but in absence they may settle for the Plus. What if that high device is still no where on the horizon?

i agree thats what Im thinking. Sprint customers has had the pre since june (if they havent already updated to a new gen phone like the EVO). Those waiting for a update will not accept just a plus version of the same phone they hold in their hand (ex if with all the kernals the stock pre runs just fine with out the extra ram and memory really with a kernal who gets TMC anymore). HP and Palm has to know that if they have any idea about the competiton currently. If they just release a plus version of the pre on sprint, they will loose every current Webos customer to Android, and Im sure they know that. Their best bet is if they dont have the next Gen phone ready this fall, they might as well wait and do nothing until it is ready. I would not recommned them to release anything other then a next generation phone to sprint and Verizon at this point, or consider what little market, and mind share for Webos for smartphones gone.
    Quote Originally Posted by yaggermr View Post
    If they release a plus for sprint. They have given up and should call themselves rim and release the same phone with minor updates once or twice a year.
    More accurately, they should call themselves Palm. The biennial, minor updates, same-o/same-o, phone release program was invented by Palm during Treo 600-650-680-700 era.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    More accurately, they should call themselves Palm. The biennial, minor updates, same-o/same-o, phone release program was invented by Palm during Treo 600-650-680-700 era.
    right and they are justified, becasue at the time Palm was a bleeding company with very little resources. We had to accept that, and that they were doing the best they could, with what little they had. HP is a giant, and is no reason why they shouldnt release a super competitor in a smartphone device, not the same ole phone with the same ole hardware (pre plus).
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I understand your thinking, and don't totally disagree, but there's another aspect of it.

Design engineers don't work on existing devices (for the most part), they work on new devices. Those working on the next device wouldn't be involved in handling a Pre Plus on Sprint. That would be a management decision, with some very small modifications done to the Verizon Pre Plus.

In short, what one portion of the company is doing wouldn't slow down the other. So working on a mid-level Palm Pre device wouldn't affect their "time" spent working on new devices.

I suspect (though it's not something I'd bet on) that we'll see the Pre Plus become (universally) the mid range device, the Pix Plus become the low end, and the "new device" become the high end, with a WebOS based slate/tablet being the "crossover".

I suspect we could see the phones all this year, and the tablet device early next.
    Ok, but you need to think about a market thats only 10-20% techies and the other 80-90% dont have a clue that Palm is even making a new phone. They at this point dont really care that there (may) is/be a need for a mediocre phone from Palm. With that being the majority HPalm will need to try and grab the attention of this crowd, by wooing them with a truely great competitive device. All I am saying, is they will not launch a mediocre device before their highend.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    right and they are justified, becasue at the time Palm was a bleeding company with very little resources. We had to accept that, and that they were doing the best they could, with what little they had. HP is a giant, and is no reason why they shouldnt release a super competitor in a smartphone device, not the same ole phone with the same ole hardware (pre plus).
    Re-read your history lessons. During the Treo 600-650-680-700 timeframe, Palm was always at the top of the smartphone sales list. They had solid revenues, a growing market ... and mediocre-quality phones. I believe you're describing the post-Treo 700 timeframe - after the iPhone came out.
    I have a question IF the new phones coming out next month or so shouldn't HP be sending their stuff to FCC for approval???? or how does that work?
    <<Thread Renamed>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    there alot of rumors on weather it will go to version or sprint first maybe sprint is getting a 4g version? and verison is getting a 3g version? anyone ever think of that....
    Quote Originally Posted by Traxion View Post
    Ok, but you need to think about a market thats only 10-20% techies and the other 80-90% dont have a clue that Palm is even making a new phone. They at this point dont really care that there (may) is/be a need for a mediocre phone from Palm. With that being the majority HPalm will need to try and grab the attention of this crowd, by wooing them with a truely great competitive device. All I am saying, is they will not launch a mediocre device before their highend.
    And I don't think you followed the discussion the same way I did. I agree, they won't release a new mediocre device before the high end. They will (I suspect) release a high end device, and the current device will become the "mediocre" one.

Palm already has the Pre Plus. There is no reason (technically) for it not to be released on the Sprint network. My (strong) suspicion is that we will see it, probably pretty close to the same time frame that Palm releases the newer device.
    <link deleted by mod>

The title says it all. Back in January of this year leaked Sprint documents found their way onto the web, and they were showcased on many gadget blogs around the internet. From this list, most every device has since come to fruition; This includes the HTC A9292 WiMAX candy bar (EVO 4G), LG clamshells, Sanyo devices, and those colorful offerings from Samsung. One device that hasn’t yet panned out is the Palm c40. So what happened to it?
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 08/25/2010 at 07:35 PM.
    I was just about to post that link, thanks.
    seems like he knows what hes talking about i just hope its true...
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jamex View Post
    There is no Palm device coming in September. That's not even possible at this point.
    It's POSSIBLE, just not likely.

I believe these dates are right, but correct me if I'm wrong:

- iPhone 4 was announced 6/7, available 6/24. FCC docs kept under wraps on it until 6/7. (leaked by ***** at bar well before)
    - Droid X announced 6/23, available 7/15. (leaked by ***** at gym well before)
    - Evo announced 3/23, clears FCC 5/7, available 6/4. (announced by Sprint/HTC early to generate pre-iPhone buzz?)

It's less likely that leaks and rumors about Palm devices get out because, frankly, people don't care as much. So, if they've kept everything REALLY under wraps and wanted to suprise the heck out of people, couldn't they have a phone in later September?

I don't think it's likely, though.
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darkzone View Post
    I have a question IF the new phones coming out next month or so shouldn't HP be sending their stuff to FCC for approval???? or how does that work?
    Exactly! The best be can hope for is a September announcement and a October release. Considering the recent news of the Roadrunner HD being seen by app developers, I'd say it's far more likely for an October announcement and November release. If the hardware is still in the prototyping phase then it hasn't even been submitted to the FCC.

Give the FCC a month to turn it around while HPalm ramps up suppliers. Then announce the device while using a month to stock up inventory and ship what you've already built up. Last release to adoring masses.

I think the only credibility to a September announcement is Verizon's discontinuing the Pre Plus.

PS Again with all my predictions keep in mind I'm going off armchair observations of other product releases in the industry and making armchair predictions with a sprinkling of optimism.
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast