Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    I don't believe for a minute that we are in the last week of August and a new device is going to launch in 3 weeks with no announcement yet. It may be soon, but figure at least a month or two, not a couple weeks.
    I've got another sprint employee rumor. I was chatting with the guy who is in charge for my uni's student discount plan and he said Sprint was getting the Pre Plus soon.

I dont want to believe him, but we'll see.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garage91 View Post
    I've got another sprint employee rumor. I was chatting with the guy who is in charge for my uni's student discount plan and he said Sprint was getting the Pre Plus soon.

I dont want to believe him, but we'll see.
    That better not be the case with all this talk of a Pre Pro, roadrunner, etc. If they were going to bring the Plus to Sprint, it should have been during the Plus launch on multiple carriers or shortly after. Now is too late in the game and too close to a truly new device... I know there is nothing in stone about a new webOS device , but unless Palm is going to fade quietly into the night, I feel they need one by years end.
    differentiate 'introduction' and 'availability' of a new device.

so introduction could well be in september, including webOS 2.0, and availability approx. 4 weeks later. Why not...!?
    there will be no plus on sprint,,who would want it! It's the same phone with a little more memory.
    please people past rumors or inside information, its obvious that sprint rep is wrong. Sprint as a company knows they would move 1 unit of the same phone at this point with just double ram and storage. So dont even take any thought in that information.
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zmann View Post
    there will be no plus on sprint,,who would want it! It's the same phone with a little more memory.
    Exactly. I wouldnt waste my upgrade for this.......
    I could see a slightly repackaged (hardware improved)/rebranded (HP branded?) version of the Pre Plus being sold by Sprint as a mid level phone or low-end smartphone. There are many phones widely available (e.g. feature phones) which are far less capable than the original and plus models.

In fact, why does it seem so "illogical" that Palm might release plus model(s) on Sprint alongside the roadrunner (HD) model to target multiple groups? HP's financial backing is definitely sufficient to allow multiple devices for multiple target audiences.

I think the game is anyone's guess here. Palm quickly releasing a family of devices to target a spread of consumer types might be just what Palm needs to get back into the game quickly to compete against the large variety of Android phones now available.

I'm not arguing that I do or do not believe that the Plus is coming to Sprint. I'm merely pointing out that to make the argument that such a move (either by Palm or by Sprint) is illogical, is itself a fallacious argument. The Plused models may still have life in them if repackaged (hardware improved) and marketed to the right audience.
    Bingo...it's only the smartphone "nerds" (bad term but you get the picture) that have a narrow field of vision here...if they can't conceptualize a new device as an upgrade to what they already have they don't see/understand who else could possibly want it or what place in the market it could occupy.

Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    I could see a slightly repackaged (hardware improved)/rebranded (HP branded?) version of the Pre Plus being sold by Sprint as a mid level phone or low-end smartphone. There are many phones widely available (e.g. feature phones) which are far less capable than the original and plus models.

In fact, why does it seem so "illogical" that Palm might release plus model(s) on Sprint alongside the roadrunner (HD) model to target multiple groups? HP's financial backing is definitely sufficient to allow multiple devices for multiple target audiences.

I think the game is anyone's guess here. Palm quickly releasing a family of devices to target a spread of consumer types might be just what Palm needs to get back into the game quickly to compete against the large variety of Android phones now available.

I'm not arguing that I do or do not believe that the Plus is coming to Sprint. I'm merely pointing out that to make the argument that such a move (either by Palm or by Sprint) is illogical, is itself a fallacious argument. The Plused models may still have life in them if repackaged (hardware improved) and marketed to the right audience.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    It's really about time to see more than just one phone come out from Palm/HP. HTC hits every demographic with its offerings. Having the Plus on Sprint is not a bad move.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    Global Posts
    594 Global Posts
    Well said, but perception is everything. People already know the Pre is a bad phone (hardware), they need another name with a slight change on hardware.

I am the OP, since I posted the thread and I have confirmed three times with three different people that something is coming on next month
    I personally know an HP exec, and he said they all just recently received their own Pre+'s. HP already announced that they'd give a free Pre+ to staff members that create apps for WebOS. Palm was almost broke before HP acquired them, and that makes me believe that there was no $ for the development of new hardware prior to the takeover. HP/Palm is still making major adjustments to Palm staff on an almost weekly basis, so the focus of Palm just isn't that sharp right now. HP has it's own problems searching for a new CEO to replace Mark Hurd. All this leads me to believe that no major announcement will be forthcoming in the near future. But what the heck do I know.
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    Lets not forget the Pixi here folks.... it still exists. I just think in order to place a new phone on the market longevity is a considerable factor. HPalm has to really consider the cost benefit of releasing another mediocre phone and whether that cost can actually black itself out. For example if they repackage a Plus on Sprint they have to determine what kind of lifecycle this phone could possibly provide. So lets say 6mos. Now in order to cover the overhead costs of manufactoring the phone, they need to sell X amount of phones. Now Sprint also has to look and see that there is actually a demand or market for this particular phone at X price point. Seeing how this particular phone will not be Palm's flagship phone and comparable phones are sold for free with contract by competitors, there is really no room for a phone of this nature on the network, without both Palm and Sprint shooting itself in the foot over losses. It really doesnt make sense for either company to dump resources in a phone thats only marginably better that whats available now, and completely not competitive in 3-6mos.

Now if they wanted to make a intermediate phone available for lower end consumers, they would employ the same strategy they used with the Pixi. Launch the big phone with a premium price to give the world a taste of sheer awesomeness, and follow that up with a phone everyone can afford. Which in this case could be the repackaged Plus. I just think even in order to repackage a plus it needs to have more TLC in the hardware dept, which in turn takes time. I for one am willing to bet that most of the free time HPalm has right now... is being used for thier new flagship device. I mean think about it.... This is HPalm's first device launch as a new company. Dont you think they are going to take advantage of that and throw something on the market thats truly impressive?
    Quote Originally Posted by Traxion View Post
    Lets not forget the Pixi here folks.... it still exists. I just think in order to place a new phone on the market longevity is a considerable factor. HPalm has to really consider the cost benefit of releasing another mediocre phone and whether that cost can actually black itself out. For example if they repackage a Plus on Sprint they have to determine what kind of lifecycle this phone could possibly provide. So lets say 6mos. Now in order to cover the overhead costs of manufactoring the phone, they need to sell X amount of phones. Now Sprint also has to look and see that there is actually a demand or market for this particular phone at X price point. Seeing how this particular phone will not be Palm's flagship phone and comparable phones are sold for free with contract by competitors, there is really no room for a phone of this nature on the network, without both Palm and Sprint shooting itself in the foot over losses. It really doesnt make sense for either company to dump resources in a phone thats only marginably better that whats available now, and completely not competitive in 3-6mos.

Now if they wanted to make a intermediate phone available for lower end consumers, they would employ the same strategy they used with the Pixi. Launch the big phone with a premium price to give the world a taste of sheer awesomeness, and follow that up with a phone everyone can afford. Which in this case could be the repackaged Plus. I just think even in order to repackage a plus it needs to have more TLC in the hardware dept, which in turn takes time. I for one am willing to bet that most of the free time HPalm has right now... is being used for thier new flagship device. I mean think about it.... This is HPalm's first device launch as a new company. Dont you think they are going to take advantage of that and throw something on the market thats truly impressive?
    +1 thats exactly what Im saying when I say logic behind releasing a plus version on the sprint network. As well as what ldudiaz said the pre is pitted as a bad phone to the masses, why would HP release a phone that is already pitted a bad phone, as well as be underpowered compared to the masses on a network pushing high end phones. Thats logic not to release a outdated, inferior at this point phone to anyone, when you now have the resources to bring out something big which they are.

Well said. Palm would do well to have a range of devices available to the marketplace.
    to me IMO I dont see nothing wrong with the idea of HP releasing a family of devices from low end to high end on every carrier. My thought though is the pre design which is critized already by most of the smartphone community. So to me re-releasing the same model device (in hardware sense) would hurt HP's sales, due to not just its been pited as a poorly made device already, and bad mouthed to the point where to me the device was stated worst then it really is. Also people would be dissappointed that HP a giant with alot of money would release the same phone (the pre, plastic, small keys etc) even if it were to market it as a mid to low range phone. Expescially when you have phones mid range like a bold, the other blackberrys like the clam shell flip phone to compete with that have a better design compared to a pre, and just plain new to the market.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent86 View Post
    HP/Palm is still making major adjustments to Palm staff on an almost weekly basis, so the focus of Palm just isn't that sharp right now. HP has it's own problems searching for a new CEO to replace Mark Hurd. All this leads me to believe that no major announcement will be forthcoming in the near future. But what the heck do I know.
    Don't let internal issues at HP fool you into thinking that everything comes to a halt as they sort out their issues. That's a very big organization, and they are very compartmentalized. Looking for a new CEO isn't stopping the various departments from "doing their thing" (many of which could be very large companies in their own right, if they were seperated from HP). The fact that HP is currently bidding billions on a could storage company should be ample evidence that they keep doing what the do regardless of the "bumps in the road" within the corporation.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Don't let internal issues at HP fool you into thinking that everything comes to a halt as they sort out their issues. That's a very big organization, and they are very compartmentalized. Looking for a new CEO isn't stopping the various departments from "doing their thing" (many of which could be very large companies in their own right, if they were seperated from HP). The fact that HP is currently bidding billions on a could storage company should be ample evidence that they keep doing what the do regardless of the "bumps in the road" within the corporation.
    correct, and is what the interm CFO stated as well BAU.
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    I completely agree... it will and it is nice that Palm has a high and low end device. I just think their time is much better spent first putting out a piece of hardware that is top notch, and then follow that with a comparable medium to low end device. First impressions are hard to forget, and they need to make a good one to stamp themselves in the market as a competitive high end mobile device manufacturer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Traxion View Post
    I completely agree... it will and it is nice that Palm has a high and low end device. I just think their time is much better spent first putting out a piece of hardware that is top notch, and then follow that with a comparable medium to low end device. First impressions are hard to forget, and they need to make a good one to stamp themselves in the market as a competitive high end mobile device manufacturer.
    I understand your thinking, and don't totally disagree, but there's another aspect of it.

Design engineers don't work on existing devices (for the most part), they work on new devices. Those working on the next device wouldn't be involved in handling a Pre Plus on Sprint. That would be a management decision, with some very small modifications done to the Verizon Pre Plus.

In short, what one portion of the company is doing wouldn't slow down the other. So working on a mid-level Palm Pre device wouldn't affect their "time" spent working on new devices.

I suspect (though it's not something I'd bet on) that we'll see the Pre Plus become (universally) the mid range device, the Pix Plus become the low end, and the "new device" become the high end, with a WebOS based slate/tablet being the "crossover".

I suspect we could see the phones all this year, and the tablet device early next.
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast