Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    ldudiaz... don't worry about it... we'll all see that 2nd week one way or the other.
    Global Posts
    594 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    ldudiaz... don't worry about it... we'll all see that 2nd week one way or the other.
    If it turns out to be true just mention me on the PalmCast. If not, ehhh just mention me anyway lol
    Last edited by ldudiaz; 08/16/2010 at 12:38 PM.
  3. mk3
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    I don't believe anything from the people who work at the stores. My buddy stopped by the Verizon store the other day and asked about the Pre. The guy there told him he highly recommends not getting that phone because "They are going to discontinue and move away from the WebOS operating system." I told my buddy that there is no way this guy's information was correct. He gave up his Pre for the new Moto i1 (Nextel) and now wants to go back to the Pre. He hates the Android software and says WebOS is sooooo much better.
    Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA

"Abracadabra Holmes"
    -Cal Naughton, Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Exactly! I really don't see why people think that they need to sit in judgement on these sort of things. Just accept it for what it is and at the due date you'll know if it's true or not. You would think that the NFS episode might have taught people to not be so judgemental.
    Quote Originally Posted by tooearly View Post

Edit:

And if you're saying "Please don't say 'Ooooh, at least you have the Plus'" how do you think us non-plus users are feeling.
    I dunno...

... nonplussed?

I'm really so sorry, so very, very sorry...

But I just COULD NOT resist!
    Hey Idudiaz for what it's worth, thanks for the heads up. If it happens or not I appreciate the info.
    I bet the "new" device ends up being the Plus.
    As it would be "new" to Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by shock_terminal View Post
    I bet the "new" device ends up being the Plus.
    As it would be "new" to Sprint.
    past my sources of thr new device launching (not sure about sept though) if using basic logic releasing a plus version on sprint now would be not only a waste of money, but very dumb to put it in lamens. Also no one would buy a palm pre at this point on sprint with just double the ram and storage, when you have high end phones like the Evo and Epic. So please people even if you have no knowledge of what's coming think about what your saying in terms of logical steps for a business giant like HP, and think about back stock Verizon already has of the plus version, and the competition Sprint has in terms of next generation devices currently. Then I ask would you stil make a statement like sprint will most likely get a upgraded version of a already outdated smartphone.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    past my sources of thr new device launching (not sure about sept though) if using basic logic releasing a plus version on sprint now would be not only a waste of money, but very dumb to put it in lamens. Also no one would buy a palm pre at this point on sprint with just double the ram and storage, when you have high end phones like the Evo and Epic. So please people even if you have no knowledge of what's coming think about what your saying in terms of logical steps for a business giant like HP, and think about back stock Verizon already has of the plus version, and the competition Sprint has in terms of next generation devices currently. Then I ask would you stil make a statement like sprint will most likely get a upgraded version of a already outdated smartphone.
    Uh, ya. I am making a logical guess.
    It IS a guess, but it is not unfounded.

Would it be a dumb move? Yes it would.
    But there has not been enough time for R&D to develop and get ready a new phone with the whole HP buyout slowing down the process. They had to make sure all the paperwork is properly done.
    How long before it came out did we have all kinds of info on the Pre?
    The problem is there is nothing for the launch Palm Pre users to upgrade to now that we are eligible.

But this would be SOMETHING.
    Not something I'd waist an upgrade on, but someone would.

Like I said not a smart decision, but a logical one if the Sept. date is true.
    Last edited by shock_terminal; 08/16/2010 at 09:29 AM.
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    ... and it's these kinds of rumors that are just killing me right now. I need a new Pre bad... whether or not it is a new model really does not matter much at this point but it just hurts to imagine dropping money on a second hand Pre only for a new one to be released (or even just announced) a couple weeks later.

However I am reaching the point where my current phone's hardware is quickly becoming more trouble than it is worth to put up with. I don't want to attempt to make a list of all of my current hardware problems but suffice it to say that if it is a known Pre hardware issue my phone most likely has it. I had originally planned on trying to get it replaced many months back when the external speaker first died, however after an unfortunate falling off the roof of my house incident it looks a little too rough to take back to a Sprint store with any genuine expectation of getting a replacement.

Long story short H/P/alm... Hurry up and either announce a new device or at least tell us when to expect one so I can put my current phone out of it's misery. I can't hold out much longer.
    Sprint Customer since 2001
    Palm User since 2004
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Looking back after Ruby took over upto the HPalm era, I think we are looking in the Oct/Nov time for anything new, if at all. Examples:

Sprint-Pre, June, 2009
    Sprint-Pixi, Oct, 2009 (announced/leaked)

Verizon-Pre and Pixi plus, Jan/Feb, 2010
    CrapTT-Pre and Pixi plus, June, 2010

HPalm c-40/roadrunner/palm pro, with the take over, integration, pimp daddy Hurd's departure, the leak/release date, at the earliest is Oct, 2010? Right? It will be roughly 4 months after CrapTT had their Palm devices, and I think HPalm have to give CrapTT sometime to clear inventory with promotions and what not. Or at least have until end of Q3 for HPalm to clear their books and write it off as losses. Those Palms are not exactly selling like hot cakes. (Current prices for Palm phones on HP's partner website is free with two year contract for free, except for Sprint)

Regardless, it's up to new management, in this case HP's board of directors, to advice when, if ever, these devices will be released.

HPalm-Palm Pad, CES 2011 (Q1, 2011)
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    [...]using basic logic[...]
    Basic logic would tell me Sprint and Verizon should drop Palm all together. Logically, they will not need to risk $ on an unsure thing (that has somewhat failed already) when they already have winning horses (Evo and the Droid models). Logically they would save even more $ since they only need to train sales people in 1 OS and X different specs instead of X OS's and Y specs. Logically, manufacturers who can release new hardware and form factors every 2-3 months are more reliable, have a better chance of appealing to more customers, and carry less risk of a dud bringing down sales numbers for multiple quarters. Logically, etc...

Using "basic logic," Palm doesn't have much working in its favor, new hardware or otherwise. Using basic logic in palms favor: A Plus release would just be a natural progression and would lower operating costs. Manufacturing, maintaining, and storing 2 versions of essentially the same thing is more expensive than doing the same with 1 piece of hardware. Considering there is [probably] a build up of Plus parts in a factory/warehouse that only need a software tweak and/or a radio board swap (which is also probably built up in a warehouse/factory) to work on new networks (as the Plus on Sprint hack demonstrates) phasing out the original pre on all networks is logical.

I hope it's something new. A September announcement for an October release sounds plausible even though it sounds like it wont be flagship material for Sprint.

Keep in mind nothing has passed through the FCC yet (or at least cleared). The FCC is usually a better indicator of when hardware will be released. So far I've noticed releases are 1-2 months after engadget or whoever spots it. They still have 15 days to announce and the FCC to authorize the hardware for my observations to be true and the OP rumor to be fulfilled. Come on FCC
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
    At this point it's an I'll believe it when I see it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Honis View Post
    .... A September announcement for an October release sounds plausible even though it sounds like it wont be flagship material for Sprint. .....
    This I'd believe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    Fixed it for ya!
    lmao took me a minute but it finally had me rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    I think webOS will be the Mac OS of the smartphone world. It will stay niche for a few more years, then will pick up steam as people figure out that it is a very robust OS that is easy to use. The Palm brand will become a fashion statement because nobody has them.
    I agree totally, but I'm scared for that to happen.
    Sounds to me that Sprint might announce in mid-Sept, the new Pre device to be launched late Oct or early Nov.
    If so, sounds logical to me as much more attn will be paid in Sept to fall release schedules than in Aug.
    HP has muscle with the carriers and that should give it a chance for improved marketing and training etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by ldudiaz View Post
    I just finished talking to a high level sprint person and he told me that on the second week, probably the first, a new palm webos device will be introduce. Now we all know how Sprint people are when it comes to information but is good to hope. Also now that Palm people are not talking might be a good sign. Let's just wait and see
    somehow confused o2 shop guys (when asked for a pre+) were talking about waiting for week 36, waiting for a new shipment of phones. They said pre+ werent available, would take 3 weeks, which not made sense since lots of pre+ were still available...
    <moved>

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Well, something must be up! I'm adding my mom to my plan to save her some money & have been letting her use my spare pixi on a line I no longer use to get a feel for webos. She likes it, but prefers the Pre. She went into Sprint yesterday & the store didn't have anymore Pre's. The rep said they wouldn't be restocking it & what inventory (online or what other stores have) was all they would have left. Leads me to believe they clearing out the remaining stock & expecting a new phone to replace it for Sprint's inventory. I don't have any juicy rumors, just passong along what she told me when she went in yesterday.
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast