Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    Agreed. Let's get back to the discussion of rumors. I want a new phone.
    I do too...after 22 months with my Centro, which I love), it is time for me to get on the webOS train! I want a new Palm phone NOW!

Sure Jay, like they are just going to do so, b/c I said so! Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I think it's pretty interesting that we we are seeing leaks of devices of all sorts over the past couple of weeks coming out this Fall (Androids, Windows Phone 7's, etc.) but not a peep from Palm. It's not really building any anticipation in the general market. It's fostering indifference. I'm actually thinking that Palm doesn't have anything ready for the Fall.

I"m listening to the Engadget podcast live right now. It's all about smartphones and nothing about Palm thus far. Wait, they just mentioned the iPaq's chrome bezel. I guess that kind of counts.
    HP and Palm are in a very different situation than the myriad Android manufacturers and Microsoft with WP7. They just closed a major acquisition that has surely made tremendous structural, procedural, and marketing changes to both organizations and that has very likely resulted in some significant changes to roadmaps and such.

I don't _know_ that HP and Palm have anything ready for the fall. Nobody does. But the lack of leaks means nothing in this context except that both companies are doing a great job at keeping things quiet. As it's been mentioned before a number of times, there were also no leaks about webOS and the Pre prior to CES 2010, which was a pretty impressive feat of secret-keeping. No reason to think they couldn't do the same again now.

Also keep in mind: the lack of any products to release is as leak-worthy as the existence of products ready to go. Harder to verify, sure, but we're not just talking about a lack of pictures, are we?
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    HP and Palm are in a very different situation than the myriad Android manufacturers and Microsoft with WP7. They just closed a major acquisition that has surely made tremendous structural, procedural, and marketing changes to both organizations and that has very likely resulted in some significant changes to roadmaps and such.

I don't _know_ that HP and Palm have anything ready for the fall. Nobody does. But the lack of leaks means nothing in this context except that both companies are doing a great job at keeping things quiet. As it's been mentioned before a number of times, there were also no leaks about webOS and the Pre prior to CES 2010, which was a pretty impressive feat of secret-keeping. No reason to think they couldn't do the same again now.
    I seem to remember CrunchGear confirmed that whatever Palm was announcing was a vertical slider running the new OS a week before CES, and a month before CES, Palm basically confirmed they were announcing their new OS, and many, many, many months before CES, people knew Palm was working on the "Nova" next-gen OS. They kept specifics quiet, but there were certainly rumblings confirmed by multiple legit sources.

There isn't the same now aside from the stuff people make up and wish for in this forum. We know Palm is working on a new piece of hardware to be released at some point. Which tells you nothing. And with mindshare at an all time low, keeping quiet on this front when they've already announced a tablet target date isn't really "doing a great job". You can see that it's discouraging people here. Vague assurances from Twitter feeds do little to assuage this.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post

Also keep in mind: the lack of any products to release is as leak-worthy as the existence of products ready to go. Harder to verify, sure, but we're not just talking about a lack of pictures, are we?
    I agree with you 110%!

It is amazing that a firm as large as HP, (whose employees number in the hundreds of thousands), where there are hundreds more than at Palm, that know what Palm will be releasing and approx. when and NO one is talking!

take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    I don't think everyone @ HP knows everything about specifics just because they work @ HP. Probably just Palm and those @ HP related to the mobile or whatever section Palm is apart of.

just an assumption on my end too though so who knows...
    Quote Originally Posted by asharrop View Post
    I don't think everyone @ HP knows everything about specifics just because they work @ HP. Probably just Palm and those @ HP related to the mobile or whatever section Palm is apart of.

just an assumption on my end too though so who knows...
    Hi all,

I am sure that not everyone knows, however, I am sure that since the advertising debacle of the Pre, that HP has or is taking over that issue. That alone exposes dozens of HP people to the inner workings of Palm....

HP made it clear that they are moving certain technologies of it's own to the Palm div. For example, HP implied that it's technology for a folding display will be shared with Palm. That exposes some more HP people to the inner workings of Palm.

Since technology research, (HP does still have pure research for the sake of "where ever the research Will take us). Much of what has grown out of this philosophy will be reviewed to see if Palm can use any of these ideas and patents. That makes more people who will be associated with Palm from HP...

etc...........

Take care,

Jay

PS: (At one time, Palm had enough money so it also could do research for the sake of research.....that is how the following occurred: BTW Palm already has a patent, that predates the Pre, Centro and goes back to the time of Treo, that deals with folding or rolling screens. It has not been possible to exploit that patent or HP's folding screen, until OLCD's were invented...therefore some day down the road, now that Palm has access to far for money...we will see this in a Palm smart phone).
    Global Posts
    594 Global Posts
    I listened to the palmcast interview with Rahul Sood and he mentioned to come back to palmcast for another interview in early September after he does what he needs to do. In my mind all I heard was I will come back in early September after the announcement of the new phone. I'm really hoping for some type of announcement.
    Quote Originally Posted by ldudiaz View Post
    I listened to the palmcast interview with Rahul Sood and he mentioned to come back to palmcast for another interview in early September after he does what he needs to do. In my mind all I heard was I will come back in early September after the announcement of the new phone. I'm really hoping for some type of announcement.
    The interview was great, but I didn't "hear" that. Sounded more like a contribution to the development of something to me. And I hope the Pre 2 is beyond that point. It did sound as if he would be saying a bit more when he comes back though. We'll see in a couple of weeks I guess.
    I just surprised that we don't hear more from the former Palm employees who were laid off as a result of the merger.
    Global Posts
    594 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    Most are impllying a September announcement, with a launch anywhere from 1 - 3 months later, with at least 1, but as many as 2 devices in that time frame.
    I am really hoping for a horizontal 4" screen phone, I know most people want 3.5" portrait but not me.
    palm needs a BETTER than everything phone, not a "oh-we matched it 6 month later" phone
    Quote Originally Posted by crazijake View Post
    take this to an off topic forum. This isn't part of the rumor for a 2nd week september release of a new phone. It shut down the rest of the discussion about a new phone.
    That is exactly it.

I have deleted dozens of posts with no purpose but to argue with each other.

Stop it.

The rest of the members don't care.

This thread is about our hopes and dreams for a new Palm Device. Please review the forum guidelines about taking threads off topic.

- Craig
    Ok.. back on track.

I posted to Jackson on his website yesterday, and he responded today.

I posted the contents of both in this thread, here on PreCentral, for those who are interested:

http://forums.precentral.net/2630356-post105.html
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    Ok.. back on track.

I posted to Jackson on his website yesterday, and he responded today.

I posted the contents of both in this thread, here on PreCentral, for those who are interested:

http://forums.precentral.net/2630356-post105.html
    Hi, Thank you, that was very interesting!

Take care,

Jay
    PS I want a new Pre now...especailly since I still have my trusty Centro, (I am on the last 7 weeks of a two year contract with V). So I never got to enjoy webOS!
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    That is exactly it.

I have deleted dozens of posts with no purpose but to argue with each other.

Stop it.

The rest of the members don't care.

This thread is about our hopes and dreams for a new Palm Device. Please review the forum guidelines about taking threads off topic.

- Craig
    "snif snif" oh the joy just wants my to cry "snif" new phone "snif"
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    If the new Pre has a glass screen, might be a good idea to have a backup prepaid phone. A guy I work with repairs Iphones on the side , and almost everyone one of them the glass screen is cracked. He has repaired over 100 of them charging between 80 and 180 dollars , depending if just the glass , or
    the glass and digitizer is changed. Parts were bought on ebay 20 to 40 dollars each.
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrykel View Post
    If the new Pre has a glass screen, might be a good idea to have a backup prepaid phone. A guy I work with repairs Iphones on the side , and almost everyone one of them the glass screen is cracked. He has repaired over 100 of them charging between 80 and 180 dollars , depending if just the glass , or
    the glass and digitizer is changed. Parts were bought on ebay 20 to 40 dollars each.
    Agreed but the new iPhone4 and iPad have Corning's Gorilla Glass which is very high quality toughened glass - I would be surprised if HP/Palm didn't use it. A friend of mine works in Corning and he's claiming massive interests from all smartphone makers.

By the way: the Gorilla glass was invented in the 70's but Corning shoved the project into a corner thinking that it was useless!

Edit: Its claimed to be unscratchable and unbreakable - http://vimeo.com/8602963
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    That would be great then. We'll see if it is mentioned when the specs come out officially.
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    ifixit is the place that claimed the iphone 4 had gorilla glass, but even they aren't sure anymore. Never has it been stated that the iphone 4 uses gorilla glass other than there, that I know of.

And in this article http://www.gottabemobile.com/2010/06/25/ifixit-backtracks-on-iphone-4-gorilla-glass-claim/ it even suggests that it specifically is not based on information provided and broken iphone 4's...

back on track though, that would be sweet if the new Palm phone had it.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    all the iphones repaired were 3g or 3gs,not any 4's yet.