Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    it must be tempting for Palm tho... seriously, the longer they leave it, the more the anticipation. I can see them saying 'we should let them see something!!' and Ruby saying 'wait for iiiiit......'
    [twitter]_____[blog]______[im]__
    For now: Nexus One | iPad 2
    When avail. in Aus: Pre3 16GB | Touchpad 16GB

This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Palm Pimp.

Comes with 2 free Pixis.
    haha, freakin sweet

edit: mind if I use this as my sig (as a quote)
    http://<font color="Navy">Poll: Requ...r webOS</font>

Coming soon-Calm Alarm
    Palm Pimp.
    Comes with 2 free Pixis.
    I have no idea what it will be called, but I have a pretty good source that indicates that the new Pre (whatever it's called) will be powered by a TI OMAP 3630, likely at 1GHz. Don't ask, I really can't say anything about how I have this information.

Now I myself was a little dubious -- why release a 3630-powered phone as a "me too" type phone at this juncture? Seemed lame to me, especially with all the anticipation of dual core CPUs due to ship later this year - Snapdragon and OMAP 4. But it does make some sense: neither of these new dual core procs is ready for full production ramp yet -- they're just getting ready to ship production ready samples to manufacturers, so it's likely we won't see end products in the hands of consumers until around December at the latest. Meanwhile, a 3630 offers a lot of advantages to Palm:
    - It is almost completely socket-compatible with the existing 3430 in the Pre and fully code-compatible -- their internal designs are almost the same
    - Unlike the 3630, it is being manufactured with a 45nm process. This means it can be clocked much higher and consumes significantly less power = big battery life improvement
    - Higher performance allows Palm to at least catch up with other offerings on the market - HD video recording, high quality photos, perhaps even a 4G radio and the goodies that come along with it.

At this point if Palm does announce a new phone in September, I would be surprised if it didn't have a 3630 in it. But of course, take everything I say with huge, huge grains of salt.
    Maybe the phone that is supposed to be released/announced in sept is a replacement for the pixi with a 1ghz omap 3, and the pre replacement will come out in jan with the omap 4.
    Last edited by bullonparade85; 08/18/2010 at 01:50 AM.
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    really for the time being a 1ghz cpu wouldn't be a big deal as long as the OS is taking advantage of the GPU.

Granted it would still be dissapointing to see palm put out a me too phone after such a delay, but a me too phone from palm is better than any other to be honest assuming the OS advancements that are expected/hoped for...

yes even better than future android running octo core 4ghz cpu phones. Webos is still a superior UI that wouldn't be limited by hardware anymore...

that said, i'm gonna feel let down if it's not a step up from current phones...
    Quote Originally Posted by asharrop View Post
    really for the time being a 1ghz cpu wouldn't be a big deal as long as the OS is taking advantage of the GPU.

Granted it would still be dissapointing to see palm put out a me too phone after such a delay, but a me too phone from palm is better than any other to be honest assuming the OS advancements that are expected/hoped for...

yes even better than future android running octo core 4ghz cpu phones. Webos is still a superior UI that wouldn't be limited by hardware anymore...

that said, i'm gonna feel let down if it's not a step up from current phones...
    I would say any new webOS phone with a bigger screen, faster processor, and a better camera with auto focus would be great for now. Honestly the big thing for me is all the attention a new device would bring to webOS, hopefully new app developers, new API's and webOS 2.0!!
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xcomputerman View Post
    I have no idea what it will be called, but I have a pretty good source that indicates that the new Pre (whatever it's called) will be powered by a TI OMAP 3630, likely at 1GHz. Don't ask, I really can't say anything about how I have this information.

Now I myself was a little dubious -- why release a 3630-powered phone as a "me too" type phone at this juncture? Seemed lame to me, especially with all the anticipation of dual core CPUs due to ship later this year - Snapdragon and OMAP 4. But it does make some sense: neither of these new dual core procs is ready for full production ramp yet -- they're just getting ready to ship production ready samples to manufacturers, so it's likely we won't see end products in the hands of consumers until around December at the latest. Meanwhile, a 3630 offers a lot of advantages to Palm:
    - It is almost completely socket-compatible with the existing 3430 in the Pre and fully code-compatible -- their internal designs are almost the same
    - Unlike the 3630, it is being manufactured with a 45nm process. This means it can be clocked much higher and consumes significantly less power = big battery life improvement
    - Higher performance allows Palm to at least catch up with other offerings on the market - HD video recording, high quality photos, perhaps even a 4G radio and the goodies that come along with it.

At this point if Palm does announce a new phone in September, I would be surprised if it didn't have a 3630 in it. But of course, take everything I say with huge, huge grains of salt.
    That would be an epic fail as the OMAP 3630 is just the 45nm version of the OMAP 3430, and even the same SGX 530. Hopefully they at least give GPU acceleration to the OS, or else that'll be a second epic fail. However, I'm thinking the same as you. We have to keep in mind that Palm had the device all ready before the merger with HP, which would mean that the SoC used was already in the market. If HP/Palm does however announce the device in September and have an October+ release, then they can already say bye bye to their hardware as Android will be taking the spotlight away from it. We have to keep in mind also that there are partners with TI that if they wanted they could release their dual-core smartphones (or other devices) before the end of the year. Where would that put the Pre Plus 2?
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    great to hear that HPalm is making some moves. Its about darn time. Some one on the first page said that sprint would be the first to get a HPalm phone, as much as i would like this to be true...this might not be true as verizon already has talks of a HPalm phone landing in September. And as for this silly idea that sprint will just rename the pre plus to pre pro is just stupid. If they really are planning on adding the pre plus (pro) to there line of phones that would be a desgrace to all sprint customers. Its time that we get real changes in hardware, not just more storage or a better camera. Im talking about screen size, resolution, processor, build, etc. Just think about it. The Pre plus isnt much of a change at all from the pre. If this is the case i would recommend not even spending the money and putting it towards a more thought after phone then just a pre on fiber and fish oil pills.
    Quote Originally Posted by imop45 View Post
    haha, freakin sweet

edit: mind if I use this as my sig (as a quote)
    haha be my guest. I'm quite flattered.

Right after I came up with it I couldn't stop laughing for a good minute. I was quite impressed by myself.

Quote Originally Posted by omi205 View Post
    great to hear that HPalm is making some moves. Its about darn time. Some one on the first page said that sprint would be the first to get a HPalm phone, as much as i would like this to be true...this might not be true as verizon already has talks of a HPalm phone landing in September. And as for this silly idea that sprint will just rename the pre plus to pre pro is just stupid. If they really are planning on adding the pre plus (pro) to there line of phones that would be a desgrace to all sprint customers. Its time that we get real changes in hardware, not just more storage or a better camera. Im talking about screen size, resolution, processor, build, etc. Just think about it. The Pre plus isnt much of a change at all from the pre. If this is the case i would recommend not even spending the money and putting it towards a more thought after phone then just a pre on fiber and fish oil pills.

alot of people are funny, remember this is just a rumor and not a solid one either. Until HP makes an annoucement saying what the device is and what carriers will have it thats all it is so please don't read into anything so hard yet. Sprint has already been in talks with palm and HP for months under wrap, Palm even posted a hiring in regards to sprint. Also the rumor for Verizon is for late october and is a maybe not a definete, and just a roadmap on what they hope to get (thats every regards to every phone on the roadmap). Believe me my sources say that a sprint release will most likely be first but Verizon will be right behind them being of both CDMA and both (verizon of course in novemeber) be 4G. Rumors people rumors nothing solid, and for the record people SPRINT IS NOT GETTING THE PRE PLUS.
    "Of course, the obvious here in that this has not come by way of Verizon, instead “a trusty source” of PhoneArena. That said, they have been fairly decent in regards to leaked Verizon information in the past. If nothing else, after reading the details, even if half came true it would still make for an exciting year end."

Read: Verizon Wireless Roadmap Suggests More Android, BlackBerry, Motorola & Palm Devices Still To Come In 2010 [Verizon Rumored To Launch Palm Pre 2 & BlackBerry Storm 3 In October & HTC Merge With 10MP Camera In November] TFTS – Technology, Gadgets & Curiosities

as you can see this is not from Verizon just a so called trusty insider through phone arena, so lets wait to hear from HP and or Verizon, and sprint before we get all jumpy people.
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    Palm Pimp.

Comes with 2 free Pixis.
    haha awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by lxAMNxl View Post
    That would be an epic fail as the OMAP 3630 is just the 45nm version of the OMAP 3430, and even the same SGX 530. Hopefully they at least give GPU acceleration to the OS, or else that'll be a second epic fail. However, I'm thinking the same as you. We have to keep in mind that Palm had the device all ready before the merger with HP, which would mean that the SoC used was already in the market. If HP/Palm does however announce the device in September and have an October+ release, then they can already say bye bye to their hardware as Android will be taking the spotlight away from it. We have to keep in mind also that there are partners with TI that if they wanted they could release their dual-core smartphones (or other devices) before the end of the year. Where would that put the Pre Plus 2?
    The other thing I'm thinking is that this device might just be a stopgap -- to re-announce Palm's presence in the market as a prelude to unleashing the real Evo-killer: a 4G phone with a dual core OMAP4 clocked at 1.2GHz or higher. And that's what I really want to get my hands on -- for the first time we would be looking at true desktop-like performance in a smartphone ... insane realism in games, lightning fast UI response, possibly real live 1080p video encoding. But as disappointing as a 3630 might sound, it's still on par with the best that's out there right now at least and I certainly wouldn't mind replacing my trusty old Pre with it.
    I hope the Palm Pre Pro isn't the name. They'd be stupid not to use the goodwill attached to the HP name. And there is a TON of goodwill attached in the mind of the common electronics consumer (even if it doesn't necessary resonate with you uberdorks). Unfortunately I figure they'll do the same thing they do with Compaq and let it live on it's own.

I figure though, if they're putting out 2.0, it'll be an upgrade for existing customers, and a release of a new device. They're doing like apple. New phone, new upgrade. Maybe we'll even see Ruby in a turtleneck.
    Quote Originally Posted by xcomputerman View Post
    The other thing I'm thinking is that this device might just be a stopgap -- to re-announce Palm's presence in the market as a prelude to unleashing the real Evo-killer: a 4G phone with a dual core OMAP4 clocked at 1.2GHz or higher. And that's what I really want to get my hands on -- for the first time we would be looking at true desktop-like performance in a smartphone ... insane realism in games, lightning fast UI response, possibly real live 1080p video encoding. But as disappointing as a 3630 might sound, it's still on par with the best that's out there right now at least and I certainly wouldn't mind replacing my trusty old Pre with it.
    HI all,

I thought just struck me, (yes occasionally my mind still works).

Since there are two webOS models released (Pre & Pixi), and then a midterm upgrade, the Pre Plus. Perhaps this model may become the 1st in a multi product release.

After all, this had to be started on well before the buyout. Once HP announced the buyout, even before it actually happened. I am SURE, that Palm put many other ideas on the drawing board.

Which means that in another 8 to ten months we can see the Pre line expanded my several other models.

Instead of think of this as a stop gap model, perhaps we should look at it as the first of numerous models from the NEW PALM!

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Maybe they can name it the palm Presario.... After the Compaq Presario wouldn't be a ad name if it's running near laptop speeds and video quality w dual core ti proc. And I do think the next device is jus the beginning they will be looking to upgrade the pixie, pre, and maybe even add a few devices... A slate has to be in the works as well as a pre like model... Just wish we knew something... Can someone out there steal some sort of pic or info?? Lol...
    it could be called the **** ****...let's just get something out there already
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Palm Pimp.

Comes with 2 free Pixis.
    HAHA that was clever.
    Global Posts
    258 Global Posts
    They might name it Pro if they were trying to boost corporate sales, just for the perception factor.
    Global Posts
    215 Global Posts
    I was assured they would release a phone based upon the OMAP4430 operating at 1Ghz.
    Sprint Palm 2 - Developer Mode - 2.1.0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast