1.    #1  
    I would like to see an *****'s guide to using Brayder's technology to create space on the Treo. (I have the 270.) What files can be safely deleted? I understand that there are multiple languages, with only one needed. How much space is recovered by deleting languages. What else is on the ROM that is inessential? I use Neocalc and could delete the native calculator if I can move Neocalc to the ROM.

I tried Jackflashlight, but it didn't do what was advertised, that is, it didn't tell me how much space could be recovered, and indeed told me that no space could be recovered. I have filez which will tell me the sizes of things in ROM, but I don't what is what.

What I would like is someone who can write a "here is what I did in detail and it worked great."

The JackFlash website doesn't provide a lot of detail because there are too many devices.
    IIRC, the JackSprat documentation has most -- if not all -- of what you are looking for. I believe you can download this from Brayder's website. Make sure you are looking at the documentation for the latest version, which has the Treo-specific information in it.
    UniPalmer
    -------------
    It's not the heat; it's the stupidity!
    If you want to play it safe, just start with removing the languages you aren't using - that will free up the biggest chunk of memory. Then, if you decide you want more, you can consider some of the other apps.
  4.    #4  
    I looked at the JackSprat documentation, versions 1.0 and 2.0, and neither mention the Treo, although the latter discusses Clie and Handera. The 1.0 documentation suggests that eliminating languages claims around 1.3MB. The JackFlash documentation isn't very helpful about what you can accomplish, saying that there are too many devices to list specifics, although it looks thorough about fixing problems.

Is there different documentation than that available on the website?

I'm not sure what I would move to flash other than Eudora. I gather databases aren't appropriate for Flash ROM since they need to be modifiable. Can one create a backup copy of databases (e.g. contact list) and store them in flash ROM, and then restore the database from the backup after a hard reset? That would be very useful. What software would be needed?
    I looked at the JackSprat documentation, versions 1.0 and 2.0, and neither mention the Treo,
    I just re-visited the 2.0b9 documentation, and it does not itself mention the Treo or specific amounts which are freed (The Treo is mentioned briefly in the changes.txt file). However, near the end of the document it discusses a number of different files which you might consider removing from Flash.

I'm not sure what I would move to flash other than Eudora.
    I would consider "program" databases which you otherwise keep in RAM -- particularly the larger ones. See which ones are taking up the most RAM space and, if you have room in flash, send them over.

Can one create a backup copy of databases (e.g. contact list) and store them in flash ROM, and then restore the database from the backup after a hard reset? That would be very useful. What software would be needed?
    Unfortunately, using Brayder's products, you can not back up "data" databases into flash (unless I'm really missing something). This is a major shortcoming, and one which I did not realize until they updated JackFlash for the Treo. I have used Handera's FlashPro on my Palm m515, and it is great for backing up any database to flash. This is what makes it useful if you have a hard reset while on the road -- what good is restoring an application without its data??? Unfortunately, Handera is adamant that they will not write code for Handspring's products. I don't know what their problem is, but they're only hurting themselves and us -- not Handspring.

So, I have JackSprat & JackFlash for the Treo sitting here on my hard drive, but see no great advantage to utilizing it without the ability to back up "data" databases since I still have ample RAM available. If I start to run low on RAM, I'll use it. But otherwise, unless they extend its capabilities, I'll hold off. (I even posted a message congratulating Brayder and TreoCentral for adapting JackSprat/Flash to the Treo -- at the time thinking it was functionally equivalent to the wonderful FlashPro.)

If I'm missing the boat on this, somebody -- anybody! -- please correct me.
    UniPalmer
    -------------
    It's not the heat; it's the stupidity!
  6.    #6  
    and I'm looking forward to hearing more
    i am using jack flash bundle 2.61 - specially tested for treo functionality. it works fully. removing the unwanted languages frees up some 1.4 mb or so of rom space which you can wonderfully use for backing up your most usefull data on rom. backing up the rom also functions wonderfully, but beware and do not attempt to resore the old rom after doing the gprs update because there some radio settings which are changed by the gprs upgrade are not restorable, rendering your treo radio to go dead.