Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Something about the pic just doesn't look right....but time will tell. It sure stokes the fire anyhow. Thanks for the info anyhow!
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    BTW Guys... @KillinItLLC via PalmDoc (another programmer) has a new Pic of usage shwoing a RoadRunner HD @ a resolution of 640 * 960. Things adding up??

"Lets all hope! RT @Mechanical_Mind RT @palmdoc: New #webos device on v 2.0 running at 640x 960 resolution? Looks like someone is playing #CloudHopper on a nice resoluti... on Twitpic "
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    ok fellows, this is getting serious ... does that mean the device is likely to be a little more square OR edge to edge?

What elses runs at that? Can someone photoshop the dimensions?
    Quote Originally Posted by funkmeisterbrau View Post
    ok fellows, this is getting serious ... does that mean the device is likely to be a little more square OR edge to edge?

What elses runs at that? Can someone photoshop the dimensions?
    It's the same aspect ratio as the current Pre resolution. Just doubled.

It's the same resolution as the iPhone 4 IIRC.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    doh! - thx,

as an aside Roadrunner is pretty cool song covered by many bands ... from wiki
    "The introductory countoff, "one - two - three - four - five - six!", and lyrics about "going faster miles an hour" with the "radio on" ..." Modern Lovers (re. Velvet Underground)

Joan Jett did a great version, Palm could get an up and coming band to do a version for the release. It has to be hip to the HS/College/20s demographic. To me the song easily transcends time and is easy to play with.

Amazon.com: roadrunner: MP3 Downloads
    The current iPhone 4 has the same pixel distribution on a 3.5" diagnol screen. That's still a 16:9 aspect ratio.. how can that be?

Simple: the pixel spacing parallel to the shorter dimension of the screen is smaler than the pixel spacing parallel to the longer dimension of the screen.

And, if the pixel count is the same, but the screen size (lets say, the Pre2 has a 3.8" daiagnol), then the actual resolution will be lower than the iPhone4's.

Its all about density, folks... how many dots per inch there are: the more, the better. To match the iPhone's screen density at larger screen sizes than th eiPhone4's 3.5" diagnol, they would have to increase the pixel count in both directions proportionately, just FYI.

My guess is that with the OMAP4 dual core processor, and the GPU, the Pre2 can handle very high screen densities at standard refresh rates, and still be a mutitasking monster with WebOS 2.

But, thats just my own speculation.

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

http://www.amazon.com/Roadrunner/dp/...bosnation0e-20
    click and 'play sample' for one version of tune

"one two three four five six
    Roadrunner, roadrunner
    Going faster miles an hour
    Gonna drive past the Stop 'n' Shop
    With the radio on

I'm in love with WebOS
    And the neon when it's cold outside
    And the highway when it's late at night
    Got the radio on
    I'm like the roadrunner

Alright
    I'm in love with modern moonlight
    128 when it's dark outside
    I'm in love with Synergy
    I'm in love with the radio on
    It helps me from being alone late at night
    It helps me from being lonely late at night
    I don't feel so bad now in the car
    Don't feel so alone, got the radio on
    Like the roadrunner
    That's right

Said welcome to the spirit of Palm
    Best phone in the business, does all I need easily
    The highway is your girlfriend as you go by quick
    Suburban trees, suburban speed
    And it smells like heaven(thunder)
    And I say roadrunner once
    Roadrunner twice
    I'm in love with rock & roll and I'll be out all night
    Roadrunner
    That's right

Well now
    Roadrunner, roadrunner
    Going faster miles an hour
    Gonna drive to the Stop 'n' Shop
    With the radio on at night
    And me in love with modern moonlight
    Me in love with modern rock & roll
    Modern girls and modern rock & roll
    Don't feel so alone, got the radio on
    Like the roadrunner
    O.K., now you sing Modern Lovers

(Radio On!)
    I got the AM
    (Radio On!)
    Got the car, got the AM
    (Radio On!)
    Got the AM sound, got the
    (Radio On!)
    Got the rockin' modern neon sound
    (Radio On!)
    I got the phone from HP, got the
    (Radio On!)
    I got the power of WebOS when it's late at night
    (Radio On!)
    I got the modern sounds of the modern WORLD
    I've got the ROADRUNNER, got the turnpike, got the
    I've got the, got the power of the AM
    Got the, late at night, (?), rock & roll late at night
    The factories and the auto signs got the power of modern sounds
    Alright

Right, bye bye!"

by Modern Lovers 1972
    Last edited by funkmeisterbrau; 08/20/2010 at 12:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    The current iPhone 4 has the same pixel distribution on a 3.5" diagnol screen. That's still a 16:9 aspect ratio.. how can that be?

Simple: the pixel spacing parallel to the shorter dimension of the screen is smaler than the pixel spacing parallel to the longer dimension of the screen.

And, if the pixel count is the same, but the screen size (lets say, the Pre2 has a 3.8" daiagnol), then the actual resolution will be lower than the iPhone4's.

Its all about density, folks... how many dots per inch there are: the more, the better. To match the iPhone's screen density at larger screen sizes than th eiPhone4's 3.5" diagnol, they would have to increase the pixel count in both directions proportionately, just FYI.

My guess is that with the OMAP4 dual core processor, and the GPU, the Pre2 can handle very high screen densities at standard refresh rates, and still be a mutitasking monster with WebOS 2.

But, thats just my own speculation.

The iphone as well as the Pre is not actually 16:9, but a 15% narrower 3:2, 16:9 would be better for viewing almost all video now since most is widescreen if not HD, but the tradeoff of a wider screen probably makes webpage views a little bit better when in either portrait or landscape.
    Roadrunner = fast !! Big everything.
    "Roadrunner HD" = The Pre HD with WebOS 2.0

please please please....
    Last edited by bronxbomber; 08/20/2010 at 12:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rich_halvorson View Post
    The iphone as well as the Pre is not actually 16:9, but a 15% narrower 3:2, 16:9 would be better for viewing almost all video now since most is widescreen if not HD, but the tradeoff of a wider screen probably makes webpage views a little bit better when in either portrait or landscape.
    Thanks.. I believe you are right, at least with the Pre - not sure about the iPhone (I dont have one), but, it would make sense.

Pixel spacing, however, isn't always equal vertically and horzontally, and that was my point... it IS possible for the screen densities to be misleading when forgetting actual screen size.. personally, I prefer to use dopts/diagnol inch as a measure for density - its the ultimate measuring tool, and the higher that number, the better, and currently, the iPhone4's is about 3x that of the old iPhone and Pre.

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Well if you are gonna give something a codename of Roadrunner than it better be fast.

Simply putting a 1gz processor wouldnt be fast enough as there are already talks of Windows phone 7 devices launching with 1.2 gz processors.

Hopefully we can see a 1.2 or 1.3 gz processor to emphasize the speed that the code name seems to imply.
    If the phone has an ARM9 core (out of order execution engine) then it doesn't need to be faster than 1GHz because it is, clock for clock, significantly faster than the A8 based cores currently used in the top end phones. A dual core 1GHz OMAP 4 processor will be significantly faster than any other phone currently out there.

With Palm waiting this long to release a new phone, it almost has to be an OMAP 4, which they may be waiting on shipments of to build up stock. Speculation of course, but it makes more sense.
    also remember that enabling the GPU this time, as well with hombrewers being able to overclock the chipsets, I dont think we will have a problem with CPU raw speed if we get a min of 1ghz. Im sure that would be able to be overclocked to atleast 2ghz.
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    also remember that enabling the GPU this time, as well with hombrewers being able to overclock the chipsets, I dont think we will have a problem with CPU raw speed if we get a min of 1ghz. Im sure that would be able to be overclocked to atleast 2ghz.
    I wouldn't count on the OMAP 4 chips being able to overclock as well as what we have currently. It MAY be able to, but you can't count on it. Having a dual-core processor would already be a huge boost overall, considering that WebOS does multitasking and has a lot of stuff going on behind the scenes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Targon View Post
    I wouldn't count on the OMAP 4 chips being able to overclock as well as what we have currently. It MAY be able to, but you can't count on it. Having a dual-core processor would already be a huge boost overall, considering that WebOS does multitasking and has a lot of stuff going on behind the scenes.
    that is true, and with the GPU enabled for the next device, your right we really wouldnt need the CPU to be overclocked.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    that is true, and with the GPU enabled for the next device, your right we really wouldnt need the CPU to be overclocked.
    FWIW, the Pre's GPU is "enabled", it's just not in use for the UI. That may or may not be fixed in webOS 2.0, but more raw horsepower combined with speedier database software should make it substantially faster in feel in any case.

I wonder if Palm can offer an OMAP 4 based processor for a reasonable price and still make money. The Sprint version would also have to be 4G, I think. But it wouldn't surprise me if Palm planned to operate at a loss for a little while just to get their marketshare up.
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    FWIW, the Pre's GPU is "enabled", it's just not in use for the UI. That may or may not be fixed in webOS 2.0, but more raw horsepower combined with speedier database software should make it substantially faster in feel in any case.

I wonder if Palm can offer an OMAP 4 based processor for a reasonable price and still make money. The Sprint version would also have to be 4G, I think. But it wouldn't surprise me if Palm planned to operate at a loss for a little while just to get their marketshare up.
    If they sell the phone for $600 off contract with a large screen plus keyboard, OMAP4 dual-core processor, 32 gigs of RAM, etc, then it should be doable. Basically, don't try to compete at the middle of the market with prices appropriate to a mid-range device if you are selling a top end device that does not compromise. Hell, the Blackberry Torch on AT&T is selling for $500 off contract, and people are actually paying that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Targon View Post
    If they sell the phone for $600 off contract with a large screen plus keyboard, OMAP4 dual-core processor, 32 gigs of RAM, etc, then it should be doable. Basically, don't try to compete at the middle of the market with prices appropriate to a mid-range device if you are selling a top end device that does not compromise. Hell, the Blackberry Torch on AT&T is selling for $500 off contract, and people are actually paying that.
    right and I dont see HP releasing anything less then competitve to whats out there on the market really. I dont think they will have a problem selling the device as long as its up to par with hardware and specifications.
    Agree! Just like Sony did with the PS3! HP needs to make an highend full of features phone and sell them at a lost initially to get the market and bring those Blackberry users over to WebOS. And why not those who are tired of Apple BS and Android lack of userfriendly interface. It can be done! All they need is money to invest and they have it. So to all those developers on the fence you better be ready because WebOS is going to be big!
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456