Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GHT View Post
    "Roadrunner", if this indeed a peek into what's coming, seems like it could be a deeper meaning to the codename than just "fast processor".

Fast processor? (obvious first thought)
    Garmin-like Navigation system built-in? (with voice commands)
    Docking features for transition between home and car? (including voice-activated dialing)
    Fast as in 4G speeds?

However, a roadrunner is also a relatively LARGE bird. So perhaps this is bigger than a phone, like maybe a tablet...

However, a roadrunner is fast ON THE GROUND. Cell phones and tablets are rarely on the ground, so I belive this must be a very fast printer...

Regardless, the fact that it's a bird means it's obviously webOSdev (Chuq)!
    good point.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    The term "Roadrunner" comes from the Roadrunner cartoon which, I assume, is a trademark of Warner Brothers and repurposed by Time Warner. I would imagine they take it pretty seriously, especially, if people are browsing the internet and making phone calls on the device which is what Time Warner Cable does.
    a roadrunner is the actual name for a species of bird

Geococcyx - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

it's the graphic (character depiction) that would be in question.

http://www.saintsbaseball.org/images/road_runner.jpg
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    The cartoon trademark doesn't really matter, but TW's trademarks in computer software, mobile software, and wireless access probably do.

But that doesn't matter at all, because if it's real this is obviously just a device code name, and not a production release name.

With HP, a name like "C40GF4G" is more likely anyway
    Indeed, and "apple" is a common fruit known worldwide. I don't think you will be able to call any consumer electronic device "apple" though unless you own the trademark.
    how about Apple records?
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by j_grouchy View Post
    how about Apple records?
    Hence the many lawsuits (Apple computer sued by the record label) and eventual settlements.
    Last edited by ahitz; 08/12/2010 at 09:53 AM.
    Apple records probably precedes Apple, Inc. Let's just say that, these days, if you are going to market something and call it "Apple", it better have a sweet juicy center, a skin, and a stem or have the flavor of it.
    I am by no means an IP or trademark expert, but it seems a lawsuit would be limited only to something trying to use the character image or naming another cartoon character the same thing.
    a simple google search of "roadrunner" pulls up a trucking company, an internet provider (which, by the way, DOES use the character on its website), a sports apparel store, a music label, an IBM supercomputer, and a shuttle and limo service.

just sayin'...
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    an internet provider (which, by the way, DOES use the character on its website
    Road Runner Internet is owned by Time Warner, who owns Warner Brothers, who holds the trademark for the cartoon character.
    Last edited by ahitz; 08/12/2010 at 10:06 AM.
    Despite if this is real or not I hope something is in the works. If there is nothing to replace my phone when it is renewal time it will be a big disappointment. I really love WebOS and would hate to move to another platform.

As to the Roadrunner name, they are not only using the name, but the Graphic. Definatly a violation there.

On a side note I was in the Sprint store yesterday and there are no longer any PRE's or PIXI's.
    Loving my Pixi. Yes I am a guy and own a Pixi, get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by ahitz View Post
    Hmm...I wonder how they got that logo! Warner Brothers....Time Warner Cable...it's such an amazing coincidence!
    yeah, no ...ummm...kidding, sherlock.

the IBM computer seems the closest to this particular webos example...more of a "code name" than a brand to be marketed.
    Quote Originally Posted by pre-fan View Post
    Trademark law doesn't work like that. As long as the products are inherently different from one another, both names can be separately trademarked by their respective organizations. In this case, the Roadrunner I assume you're talking about is an Internet service provider. The Roadrunner from Palm would be a smartphone - vastly different products, so the name is Ok for contiguous use on both.
    I am by no means an IP or trademark expert, but it seems a lawsuit would be limited only to something trying to use the character image or naming another cartoon character the same thing.
    a simple google search of "roadrunner" pulls up a trucking company, an internet provider (which, by the way, DOES use the character on its website), a sports apparel store, a music label, an IBM supercomputer, and a shuttle and limo service.

just sayin'...
    I apologize, because I feel like I helped push us all onto this tangent.

Although I think their is enough overlap between a smartphone and an ISP to cause more legal troubles than it would be worth, I also think this is probably not going to be the name any phone would be released under so it will not be an issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Courousant View Post
    I apologize, because I feel like I helped push us all onto this tangent.

Although I think their is enough overlap between a smartphone and an ISP to cause more legal troubles than it would be worth, I also think this is probably not going to be the name any phone would be released under so it will not be an issue.
    which was my (laboriously made) point, really.

yeah, no ...ummm...kidding, sherlock.

the IBM computer seems the closest to this particular webos example...more of a "code name" than a brand to be marketed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Courousant View Post
    pretty sure somebody has the TM on RoadRunner.
    Not that I think it really matters, since it's just a codename, but I believe the cartoon trademark name is "Road Runner". Roadrunner is common name for that type of bird (also known as chaparrals). The name roadrunner was in use long before the cartoon. I suspect they (Warner Brothers) added the space in "Road Runner" so they could trademark it.
    The term "Roadrunner" comes from the Roadrunner cartoon which, I assume, is a trademark of Warner Brothers and repurposed by Time Warner. I would imagine they take it pretty seriously, especially, if people are browsing the internet and making phone calls on the device which is what Time Warner Cable does.
    See my previous post - but to recap, you've got things turned around a little. The cartoon "Road Runner" came from the name of the bird - roadrunner.
    mopar used "RoadRunner" name and bird in their plymouth roadrunner had a big spoiler and beak like front,fast and had the WB roadrunner pic on sides...
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Not that I think it really matters, since it's just a codename, but I believe the cartoon trademark name is "Road Runner". Roadrunner is common name for that type of bird (also known as chaparrals). The name roadrunner was in use long before the cartoon. I suspect they (Warner Brothers) added the space in "Road Runner" so they could trademark it.
    Chaparrals is a former name for what is now the NBA's San Antonio Spurs. They had that name during a stint in Dallas.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by angiest View Post
    Chaparrals is a former name for what is now the NBA's San Antonio Spurs. They had that name during a stint in Dallas.
    fascinating
    Ah yes - the Plymouth Roadrunner (Superbird):
    http://littlepixel.info/wordpress/wp.../superbird.jpg
    those cars rock for sure just like the duster and demon of those days
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by angiest View Post
    Yup, and their team mascot was --- ??? You guessed it, a roadrunner.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast