Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    that's interesting...
    I like the game But I thik it will remain as a code name, just like Catle, Pixie and Eos. Palm prefers names with P.
    like treo and centro?
    Who's network did it originate from or was the IP not tied to one of the major cell networks? It would be interesting to determine which network, and where in the US it originated from.

I actually have a sneaking suspicion that it showed up this week, from california, and came from an IP not tied to any cell network.
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    TW is the parent company...
    Ah yes the old who owns who etc etc etc. I gues same goes for naming Tazmania Devil...lol
    T300 - T600 - T650 - T700p - T755p - T800w - Pre
    Many of us use a patch that spoofs the agent info to iPhone. You can spoof to anything else.

Next, don't we hope that 1.5 is a long way into testing and that 2.0 is already started?

And I don't think that you can trademark a species of bird except when used uniquely in a context to describe a trademarked product.

- Craig
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Many of us use a patch that spoofs the agent info to iPhone. You can spoof to anything else.

Next, don't we hope that 1.5 is a long way into testing and that 2.0 is already started?

And I don't think that you can trademark a species of bird except when used uniquely in a context to describe a trademarked product.

- Craig
    This isn't spoofing a user agent, this is spoofing the statistics collected by an application using a specific framework, yes its possible, but not quite the same.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    maybe this is an elaborate hoax like making it look like nfs could actually run on a pre.
    The stats that Metrix collects are completely anonymous. It's entirely possible that the webOS 2.0 user and the RoadRunner user are two different users. There's no way for me to tell and it doesn't give me any cross sections of data.

I have 3 theories:

1. It's an actual device that's in testing
    2. It's the name a Palm dev gave to the emulator he's running at Palm
    3. Someone's playing a joke on me by "hacking" my stats.

It is extremely interesting though. Like all of you, I'm hoping this is a sign that a new phone is closer than it is farther, but I'm also erring on the side of caution.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhephree View Post
    The stats that Metrix collects are completely anonymous. It's entirely possible that the webOS 2.0 user and the RoadRunner user are two different users. There's no way for me to tell and it doesn't give me any cross sections of data.

I have 3 theories:

1. It's an actual device that's in testing
    2. It's the name a Palm dev gave to the emulator he's running at Palm
    3. Someone's playing a joke on me by "hacking" my stats.

It is extremely interesting though. Like all of you, I'm hoping this is a sign that a new phone is closer than it is farther, but I'm also erring on the side of caution.
    I thought it also showed you the network.
    Quote Originally Posted by modeerf View Post
    I thought it also showed you the network.
    It does, but only the total number of users that used that network, device, webOS version, screen size, etc. And it doesn't link them together.

So I can see there's 1 RoadRunner device, but I have no idea what screen resolution it has, what network, or what country it's in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhephree View Post
    It does, but only the total number of users that used that network, device, webOS version, screen size, etc. And it doesn't link them together.

So I can see there's 1 RoadRunner device, but I have no idea what screen resolution it has, what network, or what country it's in.
    it's in the U.S.. Trust me.

I may have thought it was bs, but the fact that palm starting following on twitter after that post says something.
    Last edited by nimer55; 08/12/2010 at 01:30 AM.
    Even though I think (want to believe?) there is something to the Roadrunner thing, I don't think that @Palm following people is confirmatory or (dis)confirmatory.

I've been tweeting about palm stuff a lot, but only recently did they start following me. (I haven't tweeted about the Roadrunner stuff though). So, I think they just have happened to follow people in a wave recently.
    Quote Originally Posted by subversiveasset View Post
    Even though I think (want to believe?) there is something to the Roadrunner thing, I don't think that @Palm following people is confirmatory or (dis)confirmatory.

I've been tweeting about palm stuff a lot, but only recently did they start following me. (I haven't tweeted about the Roadrunner stuff though). So, I think they just have happened to follow people in a wave recently.
    buzz kill!

:P
    Perhaps it is just intelligence type research, trying to get a feel for how much buzz can be generated so that have an idea of potential buyers?
  16. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    "Roadrunner", if this indeed a peek into what's coming, seems like it could be a deeper meaning to the codename than just "fast processor".

Fast processor? (obvious first thought)
    Garmin-like Navigation system built-in? (with voice commands)
    Docking features for transition between home and car? (including voice-activated dialing)
    Quote Originally Posted by Courousant View Post
    pretty sure somebody has the TM on RoadRunner.
    Trademark law doesn't work like that. As long as the products are inherently different from one another, both names can be separately trademarked by their respective organizations. In this case, the Roadrunner I assume you're talking about is an Internet service provider. The Roadrunner from Palm would be a smartphone - vastly different products, so the name is Ok for contiguous use on both.
    Quote Originally Posted by pre-fan View Post
    Trademark law doesn't work like that. As long as the products are inherently different from one another, both names can be separately trademarked by their respective organizations. In this case, the Roadrunner I assume you're talking about is an Internet service provider. The Roadrunner from Palm would be a smartphone - vastly different products, so the name is Ok for contiguous use on both.

Then why is Motorolla paying royalties to George Lucas to use the term "Droid". Pretty sure Lucas wasn't making cell phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Courousant View Post
    Then why is Motorolla paying royalties to George Lucas to use the term "Droid". Pretty sure Lucas wasn't making cell phones.
    There's unregistered trademarks (denoted with a little "TM") and registered trademarks (denoted with ""). Registered trademark holders can use legal proceedings to prevent the use of their mark. Unregistered trademark holders can as well, but it is only enforceable in the geographic region where it originated.

My guess is one of two things: "Droid" is a registered trademark, so Motorola cannot use it anywhere, or, Motorola was trying to common law trademark it (TM) in the same region as Lucasfilm.

As for what pre-fan said, he's actually talking about Copyright. Copyright works differently from trademark. And they're both confusing as hell.
    Last edited by Zhephree; 08/12/2010 at 09:20 AM. Reason: clarifying information and expanding upon it
    Quote Originally Posted by GHT View Post
    "Roadrunner", if this indeed a peek into what's coming, seems like it could be a deeper meaning to the codename than just "fast processor".

Fast processor? (obvious first thought)
    Garmin-like Navigation system built-in? (with voice commands)
    Docking features for transition between home and car? (including voice-activated dialing)
    I always saw the roadrunner as a tease. Something tempting you but unattainable. Let's hope this isn't what Palm is thinking :P

Meanwhile, we'll all dish up our acme theories on what this elusive roadrunner is and how tasty it'll be when we catch it.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast