1.    #1  
    So I dont want to be a downer - I love palm and the pre (despite its shortcomings its a good product) - However, everyone from palm seems to be leaving.

Palm Pre designer Peter Skillman leaves Palm/HP | VentureBeat

In the article yet another big designer of the pre leaves. The articles also mentions that the interface designer and the notifications designers have left also.....

This being said......if all the talent who made the pre we know and love are leaving.....whats left? It seems even the members of palm dont seem too optimistic if they (the ppl who CAME UP with the dream) are giving up on it.

I know everyone here just sees HP's acquisition as "YAY more $ for palm to make the pre and webos better!" but what good is it if the original designers lose faith in their own product?

Just something to think about
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by cnote1287 View Post
    This being said......if all the talent who made the pre we know and love are leaving.....whats left?...
    What's left? - all of those other talented and skilled people looking for jobs, and hoping for their chance.

One of the biggest mistake that people make are believing they are totally indispensible to a company. Sometimes, their "fans" make the same mistake. No one is indispensible to a good company.
    Do you follow professional sports?

Just because Raul has left Madrid does not mean he has lost faith in Real... And it doesn't mean that Raul has suddenly started to suck.

This guy has been at Palm for 11 years... Let him do something else for a change. There are other talented, intelligent, younger people ready to take over his job.

Similar with the other guys - they all did their job. Duarte gave webOS this fantastic interface, he was done, he left. What else was there to do? Our Notifications are already near-perfect, we can use some improvement, but even if the notifications designer is gone, we don't need anybody to reinvent a wheel that turns quite well. The Pre looks beautiful, but some people don't like the design and say it's not "obviously techy" enough, like say the Droid. Maybe a new designer will attract new people with a new design language.

Things are in a constant state of flux; this is generally called Life. Just remember that Corporations rarely experience true Brain Drain or even Brain Gain - the brains wander around between them as if driven by some sort of intellectual brownian motion. Palm may have lost some bright heads. What makes you think they can't get some new ones? They got the ones you're now sad to see going when someone else went away...

<edit> Also see it from the opposite perspective: if the Pre / first Generation of webOS had truly sucked, would other companies be so eager to swallow up every member of its design team that decides to leave now that they're free to go (their contracts were with Palm and they had a choice to re-sign with HP or not)? A lot of trolls say that webOS sucks from a usability perspective and that that is why other Platforms sell better. Google however must like how webOS "feels", otherwise they wouldn't have poached Matias Duarte to improve Android...
    Last edited by GodShapedHole; 08/10/2010 at 02:48 AM.
    one thing i've learned....is that it's never the executives/managers/supervisors (etc) that are truly responsible for success, all they do is approve the ideas that the real workers come up with. They're not the ones actually designing the phones or writing code.
    <<Thread Moooooved>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Global Posts
    625 Global Posts
    Look on the bright side. Dominoes threw out all their old crap and recipies and they got a new pizza that is pretty tatsey.

Quote Originally Posted by LateNiteWithJme View Post
    Look on the bright side. Dominoes threw out all their old crap and recipies and they got a new pizza that is pretty tatsey.

Still taste like the same crap to me! Besides the crust.
    so I don't want to be a downer... but I guess I will anyway.

People, there are 300,000 people at Hp. do we really think there isn't ONE or TWO that can help Palm? Do we really think that the guy that designed a plastic river rock can't be replaced or duplicated?

Really?
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
    iPaq was Windows CE, no one could do anything with that... not even Microsoft.
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    iPaq was Windows CE, no one could do anything with that... not even Microsoft.
    HTC built an entire corporation from scratch selling WM phones. Granted, HTC isn't nearly as gargantuan as HP, but they did manage to build up to 5,500+ employees, make annual revenues of $4.5 billion, and carve out a large chunk of the smartphone market for themselves ... even as an OEM at times.

Apparently Palm's new savior wasn't up to the same task. Probably because you don't like Windows Mobile.
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    so I don't want to be a downer... but I guess I will anyway.

People, there are 300,000 people at Hp. do we really think there isn't ONE or TWO that can help Palm? Do we really think that the guy that designed a plastic river rock can't be replaced or duplicated?
    So, HP has some under-employed employees they can afford to shift over to the Palm division? In my company, the under-employed usually don't get put on the fast-track, high-visibility programs. Is it that way in your company?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    So, HP has some under-employed employees they can afford to shift over to the Palm division? In my company, the under-employed usually don't get put on the fast-track, high-visibility programs. Is it that way in your company?
    I saw an interesting stat about these HP employees that said 66% of their entire workforce would leave the company if they were to get another job offer at an equivalent salary.

The Voice of the Workplace, HP's thirty-five year historic 'measure' of employee feelings (done every five years) showed in April an astonishing finding -- more than two-thirds of HP's employees would quit tomorrow if they had an equivalent job offer. Not a raise, not a promotion, simply an alternative. That number never used to be in double digits. Other companies in the Valley have reported an amazing rate of HP resumes being submitted; one large company saying, "we didn't know they had that many people working there".
    HP Phenomenon: Holy mackeral