Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Another key Palm employee departs for greener pastures. I'm telling you, that HP culture is a real downer for the right-brained,creative types like Skillman.
    what did skillman do?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    what did skillman do?
    He was the Palm VP for design and is credited with the Pre riverstone look. More info in this PreCentral article.
    hp has armies of people that have designed cool looking stuff, including all the designers at voodooPC.

much of what people don't like about the pre hardware is because of the riverstone look, so maybe palm will be better off...
    hp has armies of people that have designed cool looking stuff, including all the designers at voodooPC.

much of what people don't like about the pre hardware is because of the riverstone look, so maybe palm will be better off...
    http://www.slashgear.com/gallery/dat...dooPC_OMEN.JPG

http://img.hexus.net/v2/internationa...oodoo1-big.jpg

http://www.weblogsinc.com/common/ima...54562500193713

http://www.gizmodo.com/archives/imag..._xbox_vibe.jpg

Yup, they're fine.
    A lot of people mocked the sleek elegance of the Pre's design saying it's a woman's phone. Palm might be getting some HP design guys working for them to replace Skillman. Mergers cause job overlapping, so some fat must be cut. Skillman is obviously one of the casualties.

while I agree that hp i'll be fine, I don't agree with the riverstone look. That only became a problem when people started criticizing palm for every single thing they did. If you look at the original reviews of the pre, (precentral, engadget, etc..) you will see most of them praised the look. After the pre started doing bad, and people started looking for things to criticize palm on, they went with the look.
    I like the Pre's design; I personally don't want an iClone nor a robotic plate-size brick against my face. The feel is sleek, the look is different.

HP said they'd let Palm run sort of in a bottle though, so these types of moves are still somewhat disturbing. My hope is that the first HP/webOS smartphone will still NOT look like anything/everything else.
    From here, its looking like the only key Palm person left from Pre merger is Ruby -- and he likely has a 6-18 month non-compete/non-departure tie up.

Had HP cared about Palm's key staff, they would have been contractually locked up as well. That they didn't apparently bother, is telling.

Hurd cared nothing about the Pre -- the uncertainty and internal indecision following his sexual escapade is only likely to further hurt the successful reemergence of a Pre.

Without high level commitment to a Pre2's viability, it has NO chance within the jumble of competing interests of a bureaucracy like HP.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    I don't agree. Listrn to the last webosRadio interview with Rahul Sood and then reconsider...
    I don't agree. Listrn to the last webosRadio interview with Rahul Sood and then reconsider...
    won't you please summarize -- and thereby have pity on the aging, arthritic, and brain wasting BARYE ??
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    In summary, and imo Rahul Sood has taken over design decisions for the mobile devices unit. In addition, he is heading to Palm's headquarters this week or next for a couple weeks. It just coincidently happens to be occuring at the end of HP's quiet period.

If 1+1 = 2, my guess is Rahul is in charge of consumer devices and will take a lead role in the design palm devices in the short term and make some big announcements in two weeks.
  13. dpc
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    I like the riverstone look, but I hate the curved slider. I dunno if he's responsible for the latter.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by modeerf View Post
    In summary, and imo Rahul Sood has taken over design decisions for the mobile devices unit. In addition, he is heading to Palm's headquarters this week or next for a couple weeks. It just coincidently happens to be occuring at the end of HP's quiet period.

If 1+1 = 2, my guess is Rahul is in charge of consumer devices and will take a lead role in the design palm devices in the short term and make some big announcements in two weeks.
    Which would make it clear that the only reason HP bought Palm was for the IP and to get their hands on WebOS for their enterprise initiatives. They have little interest in what Palm brings to the table people-wise. Which, in turn, would explain why all of Palm's brainpower is leaving.

This is definitely not the Palm Colligan or Rubi built.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Which would make it clear that the only reason HP bought Palm was for the IP and to get their hands on WebOS for their enterprise initiatives. They have little interest in what Palm brings to the table people-wise. Which, in turn, would explain why all of Palm's brainpower is leaving.

This is definitely not the Palm Colligan or Rubi built.
    1) No kidding. When one company is PURCHASED by another.....it is unlikely that the PURCHASER will change to conform with the PURCHASED.

2) That Palm was nearly DEAD. Perhaps a change is best, no?
    Seems the guy brought a lot to the table, and maybe he did not have the wherewithall to do things 100% (material selection, slider design, cracks between screen & USB)...

That being said, HP DOES have some fine designers on board - both in physical presentation and interfaces.

I think the future is so darn bright, shades are in order!

russ
    You're right, the purchased will conform. But you have alot people here optimistic that palm will be allowed to run independent.

But then, those same people will bash all these leaving executives and say HP's engineers will pick up the slack. So which is it? Will palm be independent and create on its own? Or will it be dictated by HP's design philosophies and their engineers?

To me, it was clear HP did not want the people or their creativity, only the IP. And now with all the key players gone, palm really is no longer the company we were rooting for just a few months ago. We're all just rooting for a set of IP to succeed now. Unfortunately, that IP is now controlled by a sprawling beauracracy that seems to have alot of drama behind the scenes. From Fiorina to hurd, one disaster after another. Creativity is not an HP strongsuit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperator64 View Post
    You're right, the purchased will conform. But you have alot people here optimistic that palm will be allowed to run independent.

But then, those same people will bash all these leaving executives and say HP's engineers will pick up the slack. So which is it? Will palm be independent and create on its own? Or will it be dictated by HP's design philosophies and their engineers?

To me, it was clear HP did not want the people or their creativity, only the IP. And now with all the key players gone, palm really is no longer the company we were rooting for just a few months ago. We're all just rooting for a set of IP to succeed now. Unfortunately, that IP is now controlled by a sprawling beauracracy that seems to have alot of drama behind the scenes. From Fiorina to hurd, one disaster after another. Creativity is not an HP strongsuit.

Sheeesh. It is one of the most successful companies on earth. Let's not act as though I bought the company and you are concerned I may not be very successful in operating a business.

I do not get emotionally involved in what these folks do. They will either produce a quality phone with an excellent OS, or I will look for a better option. So far, I am encouraged by:

a) My experience with webOS
    b) HP's ability to create hardware (ie strength to get top of the line "parts")

I have NO way of judging whether the ones that have left are better / worse / equal of the ones that will take their places. I don't know any of these folks and will not pretend I am able to evaluate the "players" involved.

It's simple. They will make good products or not. Palm was NOT going to survive as a stand alone company, so SOME new "corporate culture" was absolutely going to be imposed upon it, no matter what.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperator64 View Post
    To me, it was clear HP did not want the people or their creativity, only the IP.
    That is the essence of what Hurd said from the beginning, and everyone refused to believe. Every statement since then has sounded a lot like damage control. The folks around here have chosen to ignore the statements directly from the CEO and go with the damage control of the subs.

I have to believe that if HP was as enthusiastic about putting out WebOS phones as some would have us believe, there would not be such a mass exodus of the People who made WebOS what it is. They see where HP is going with the acquisition and they don't like it. That is not a good sign, no matter how one spins it.
    Quote Originally Posted by rlee2001 View Post
    Sheeesh. It is one of the most successful companies on earth.
    What, exactly, does this have to do with the price of tea in China? Did you know that HP has been making phones for ages. They have been a successful company for a long time, but they have never been successful in designing, producing, and selling smartphones. They have never produced a tablet that anyone wanted to buy. That is not to take away from the overall success of the company. But in these key areas, they are no more successful than, say, you.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast