Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    It mentions in the article that TI has current "partners" who could launch devices by the end of the year. Could Palm be one of these partners? Is this why the new hardware is taking so long?

Texas Instruments on Monday said it will start shipping a new dual-core chip for devices like smartphones and tablets later this year.

The OMAP4430 chip will deliver double the performance of existing single-core chips from the OMAP3 family. This will allow applications to run faster on mobile devices, said Robert Tolbert, director of product management for the OMAP smartphone business at TI.

[ Keep up on the day's tech news headlines with InfoWorld's Today's Headlines: Wrap Up newsletter. ]

The chip will also bring features like 1080p high-definition video playback to mobile devices, Tolbert said. It will operate at a clock speed of up to 1GHz and draw up to 50 percent less power than its predecessors.

Many of the chip's improvements come from a new processor design being implemented in OMAP4430, Tolbert said. The chip is based on Arm's latest Cortex-A9 processor design, while TI's earlier OMAP3 chips are based on Cortex-A8. Motorola's recently released Droid X phone, for example, uses the Cortex OMAP3630, which is based on Cortex-A8.

Devices with the dual-core chip will also be able to deliver 10 hours of 1080p video playback compared to OMAP3630's four hours of 720p video playback. The new chip can play more than 15 hours of 720p video.

TI is readying the chip for possible implementation in devices starting later in the year, though Tolbert declined to name customers.

Motorola has said in the past that it intends to put dual-core chips in future smartphones, but has not provided any release date for such devices.

While TI has a strong presence in the smartphone space, it is also aiming OMAP4 chips for use in handheld computing devices like tablets, Tolbert said. Companies like Nvidia have already announced chips based on the Cortex-A9 design for tablets.

The OMAP4430 chip will be manufactured using the 45-nanometer process, but TI intends to move to the 28-nm process in the future, which could bring further improvement and power-efficiency benefits to the chips.

Tolbert also said TI has signed a deal with Arm to make chips based on the Arm's upcoming processor design called Eagle. The two companies worked together on chip design, and TI will provide further details about Eagle-based chips later this year, Tolbert said.
    TI to ship dual-core smartphone chip by year end | Hardware - InfoWorld
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    if the battery efficiency claims are true i'd be happy.
    Good thing the local VZW store didn't have any Droid Xs in stock because my brother was going to get one. Hopefully they will release a decent phone by then...
    I'd be really nice...

Make every con from the pre's hardware a pro on the new one.
    Honestly, HPalm should just wait for it.

As impatient as I and others are, they should still wait for it.

Because in the end its better for everybody.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by nychump View Post
    Honestly, HPalm should just wait for it.

As impatient as I and others are, they should still wait for it.

Because in the end its better for everybody.
    It's going to be such a performance jump I agree. Not only is a single core significantly quicker than the A8, you are adding Another core on top of that.

Question is, is Palm ready? Did they design the webOS kernel to be multi-core friendly during the initial development, or will they need to re-engineer the kernel?

Another question is what about the single core chips? The dual-core chips have been getting all the attention, but the truth is even a single-core A9 will run circles around the A8. If the next Pre has a single core A9 I wouldn't complain.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Don't forget, it takes several months from the 'ready-to-ship' date for processors until you actually get a product in the consumer's hands. Probably not until next Spring (2011).
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Don't forget, it takes several months from the 'ready-to-ship' date for processors until you actually get a product in the consumer's hands. Probably not until next Spring (2011).
    you heard it here first. Kupe calls it.
    new hp palm smartphone release.... Spring 2011.
    Quote Originally Posted by clutch1222 View Post
    you heard it here first. Kupe calls it.
    new hp palm smartphone release.... Spring 2011.
    Naw - A new WebOS device will be earlier than that, but it won't have the new dual-core TI chip in it. It probably won't even have a Cortex A9 equivalent CPU.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Question is, is Palm ready? Did they design the webOS kernel to be multi-core friendly during the initial development, or will they need to re-engineer the kernel?
    Linux has supported multiple processors for several years and the ARM people work with the linux kernel hackers to make sure the architecture is support as do the companies that make the chips. It is just a compile time option to enable SMP support.
    I would hope that Palm has to re-engineer the entire OS so they can make it more efficient and not thrown together like the current WebOS.
    I look forward to Dual-Boot.
    Could have sworn it said launching devices by end of year, not early spring.
    a guy in the c40 rumor forum said that his source who works for palm or some crap, said that palm was working with TI to get the next webos phone to have this chip in it, he posted this wayyyy before with specs and he just posted before this forum that a device with this chip with ship this year like early november....
    Global Posts
    215 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by juavez707 View Post
    a guy in the c40 rumor forum said that his source who works for palm or some crap, said that palm was working with TI to get the next webos phone to have this chip in it, he posted this wayyyy before with specs and he just posted before this forum that a device with this chip with ship this year like early november....
    The TI OMAP4 is nothing new... Cortex A9 (design/schematics) have been out for at least 1-2 years. The eagle core is something that you won't see till mid to late 2011.
    Sprint Palm 2 - Developer Mode - 2.1.0
    Quote Originally Posted by NitOxYs View Post
    The TI OMAP4 is nothing new... Cortex A9 (design/schematics) have been out for at least 1-2 years. The eagle core is something that you won't see till mid to late 2011.
    whats this?

TI picks up first license for ARM's Eagle CPU core, mass market devices still a couple of years off -- Engadget
    It looks like HPalm will be the first company to use it because it will take them that long to even design a new WebOS phone. By then who know what number Android will be at...
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    Eagerly anticipating OMAP4 in my next Palm phone. It just better be the dual-core flavor. I want to be on the bleeding edge. Oh, and I would like to see a killer lens for the camera. It would be so cool if Leica did a cell phone lens. All the Mpx's in the world won't take a good picture without a good lens.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    If I'm not mistaken, the first dual-core/A9 smartphones that we'll be seeing are from HTC and SE, and maybe Motorola??
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lxAMNxl View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, the first dual-core/A9 smartphones that we'll be seeing are from HTC and SE, and maybe Motorola??
    That's because HTC ships a new device every 3 days
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast