Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Since we have yet to hear anything, from any solid source about anything other than a roadmap, I was wondering how many webOS phones do you think would be out had HTC bought Palm instead...?
    Production time and all that jazz, but still, gotta believe that it would be faster than the rate HPalm is going.
    My guess is that we'll see a HPalm phone for either the holidays or at CES. Either way it will have much competition to deal with. HTC Android phone for Verizon should be coming out with a 1.2 Ghz Snapdragon around that time.
    ... Just wishing that could've been us... With a plethora of webOS based phones and phone companies to choose from...
    None...

I guess you have never been through corporate merger. Stuff happens slow for a while.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    I don't think HP is going to do much with WebOS in the S'phone market.
    Why try to reclaim a downward sliding share of this market, the burgeoning tablet market seems the logical target.
    HTC could have done more, but is smart by sticking to the hardware side.
    Everyone who was bidding seemed more interested in the patent library.
    none. Imo, I think they would have dumped webos and just kept the bucket of patents. Atleast we know that HP is going to continue with webos.
    Zero, the general public has long abandoned webos and the market share shows it and even if they manage to come out with something I really don't think it will gain much traction.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Does seem like people have loyalty to their phones now more than before when everything started coming out and everybody wondered what the competition was going to come up with. Now with constant updates and new hardware every so often, more people are just waiting for the upgrade to their phone, be it iPhone, Blackberry, or an Android phone. Unless of course the wait 20+ months and still no announcement.
    Agree with feardunn that the tablet market seems the way to go. People are already committed phone wise but not so much tablet wise. Perhaps webOS on a tablet will introduce new customers and entice them to get a webOS phone... whenever they decide to come out with one.
    idk tho. Nobody really knows til after the fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by kinster02 View Post
    Zero, the general public has long abandoned webos and the market share shows it and even if they manage to come out with something I really don't think it will gain much traction.
    At this point I believe that's why HPalm is taking so long. They know another 1ghz 4" phone will just get lost in the shuffle. It's going to take a phone with the best specs on the market and a marketing blitz showing off the best OS out there to make a splash. Anything less will just get lost in the shuffle of all the Android phones out there.

If this relaunch fails I expect HP to embrace Android as well and just use Palm for the patents. They aren't going to keep beating a dead horse, WebOS has already failed to gain traction once.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    None...

I guess you have never been through corporate merger. Stuff happens slow for a while.
    I guess you've never been through a corporate merger. The good mergers end up with immediate announcement of near-term future activities/products - as if the merger had a real purpose to it. The slow ones are that way because the purpose of the merger was never fully clear in the acquirer's mind so it takes them a while to figure out what to do next.
    I'm just wondering, if HP/Palm is going to annouce new hardware, where and when would it be?
    http://<font color="Navy">Poll: Requ...r webOS</font>

Coming soon-Calm Alarm
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Palm Pimp.
    Comes with 2 free Pixis.
    Are you guys serious!? First off WebOs is "The best phone OS" on the market and was built to be extremely flexible. What does that mean? It means that it can run on all kinds of "different" devices. Do you not understand what the vision is for the future? Our whole society is moving towards a more mobile and more convenient way of doing things. Smart phones are not going away and neither is WebOs, HP will be releasing new phones using WebOs.

The reason Palm failed with the Pre is not because of WebOs, it's because of very poor execution and marketing, ohh and lets not forget the horrible QC of the Pre. HP will be successful because they have the money, the scale and the connections needed to put WebOs in everything from printers to smart phones to toasters.

HP is a huge company with very strong business connections and they will be able to use that strength to push WebOs phones into the hands of a lot of corporations that would have otherwise overlooked it for a crackberry or the like.

You guys just need to be patient, the phone that palm was likely planning to release is probably getting overhauled and upgraded at this time. I would be surprised if they don't have a new device out in time for the holiday shopping season.
    hopefully around August 19th when they have their quarterly earnings repots due to their shareholders (they're a month behind everyone). This would be beneficial to the as the Samsung Epic 4G launches on Sprint the day after (on the 20th),this would further stem the flow of people jumping ship (I am waiting to see what HP will offer, as my 1 year premium service upgrade was on June 1st, right before the EVO; it's very tempting to switch) to new devices/carriers that have different phones.

Remember back when the Pre launched it was for people who don't want an iPhone or wanted to multitask? Now the iPhone is better (as well as android being available) and multitasking is on nearly every platform with MUCH better hardware. We claim that we can patch and overcock our phones (which was a plus back then), but now with Android's rooting (and Apple's more, shall I say, unrestrictive jailbreaking by use of law (if I undrrstand the news correctly)) and there being no need to patch due to sufficcient hardware and larger communities due to larger install bases, I feel that HP really needs to step up there game in reguards to pumping stuff out to the consumer. We need more than 2 phones to recover some marketshare, a tablet to help stem Apple's growth and wirelessly sync with our new Pres and Phoenixes (sp?,this is coming from my Pre right now), and other things like interconected printers and desktops (hell,even T.V.s and fridges at the rate this is going , maybe wireless synching with photo frames to upload the snapshot you just took) to keep the public interested.

I like Palm alot and I'm glad I didn't pick up an iPhone last year,but this waiting is really grinding on me to the point where I'm just going to pick up a new phone this Christmas if nothing is said by then. If HP annoubces at CES,they better bring in every device immaginable if they want to keep even a sliver of the market share because by then they're going to be a distant memory with webOs and a $1 billion hole (disreguarding other patents, of course).

summary to imop45:
    either August 19th, sometime in November (Q4 report) or CES next year unless they pick some random date
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    I guess you've never been through a corporate merger. The good mergers end up with immediate announcement of near-term future activities/products - as if the merger had a real purpose to it. The slow ones are that way because the purpose of the merger was never fully clear in the acquirer's mind so it takes them a while to figure out what to do next.
    you are a genius...( Iyom)
    Everyone seems to make good points, some plus and some minus. One thing is common across the board...everyone here wants Palm/HP to succeed! I'm like many, would love something new, bigger, and better. To be honest my Sprint Pre Rocks and I'm simply looking forward to 2.0 to enhance and increase performance.

Most people here seem to need something new (I must have and have it now). I also would love something new, but then tempor that notion knowing everything comes at a price. Yes I could always use more, but thankfully my hardware is holding up well and I haven't had to make a decision like many people.

I'm hoping Palm has been researching OMAP 4 for months, in a larger Tablet shell, with more Memory, enhanced Battery, ability to output 1080p video native vis HDMI, and uses webOS 2.0 bringing everything together in the perfect interface for quick work like Multimedia, Ebook Reading, Synergy, Multitasking, and the list goes on for what Android and IOS doesn't provide simply because HTC, Motorola, and Apple did not put enough thought in their designs. I'm also hoping HP uses new industry standards like Facetime that make webOS next mobile interface a player in the Apple market people are already buying into. Can you imagine showing a Palm Pad running wedOS 2.0 off, fully Multitasking, and doing Facetime with them on their 4g.

Now that would Rock and just my 2-cents. Sorli...
    Last edited by sorli; 08/08/2010 at 08:11 AM.
    Ok guys... remember this is about phones and not to make it personal. Everyone is allowed an opinion.

Please *Stay on Topic*
    just wondering... How many of you wish more chinese companies.. With little to no creativity... Take over more of our us companies...by using slave labor...and pushing out phones at the rate of 1 per week... Running an os they get free from google... The master of marketing.
    when did china and companies using your personal habbits for profit become such a big hit?

think outside the box...
    beg for competiton... Prey for USA companies to compete and succeed...
    or just go to little china and buy an iphone ios 4 knock off and celebrate new hardware.

iyom = in your own mind
    I love it how everyone is saying, o webos didn't blow right away, so it will never blow...

Yea, cause android blew up right away right?
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    I love it how everyone is saying, o webos didn't blow right away, so it will never blow...

Yea, cause android blew up right away right?
    The thing is Android DID blow up virtually right away once it got off of T-mobile and was embraced by carriers for anything other than "with google" devices
    At least 4 phones htc would slap out one for each carrier. They would have a candybar with no keyboard and look pretty much the same but would have a nice quaulity and form factor. But I think web os would have been an after thought and they might hurt it in the long run.
    Global Posts
    215 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    The thing is Android DID blow up virtually right away once it got off of T-mobile and was embraced by carriers for anything other than "with google" devices
    I'm pretty sure it didn't blow up right away... You can't say a year was blowing up. It blew up with the Motorola Droid on Verizon, before that it was a poorly undeveloped operating system.
    Sprint Palm 2 - Developer Mode - 2.1.0