Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I have to agree with everybody here who manifested not liking this guys. He must have been really distracted thinking about "something" else when he said that HP didn't buy Palm to use it on smartphones. ***? He was breaking everything that other people at HP and Palm were trying to build. He never seemed to be on the same page as everybody else and as a CEO you would expect more intelligent words to come out of his mouth.

I feel better now that he is out!
    Quote Originally Posted by Maestro1 View Post
    In fact palm is under the personal systems group. which basically consists of all consumer electronics, and that group is probably the smallest of all of HPs business units.
    Well, the PSG is a $42 billion business unit. That's roughly a third of HP's total revenues. Doesn't sound like the smallest of the units to me.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Rubinstien to CEO would be such a fun move though. Apple brought Steve Jobb's back in to the company when Apple bought Next, and pushed him right up to the top. This'd be just like that, and the press would have tons of fun with the parallels.
    [ Mike Kasprzak | Sykhronics Entertainment | Mike on Twitter | Blog ]
    Smiles [Drop Video, Zen Video] the award winning puzzle game is now on webOS 1.4.0+ (PDK)
    Now Available: Smiles Zen and Smiles Drop (standalone) with Pixi support! (1.4.5+ only)
    We'll have to see what the new CEO does. New CEO's do not like to just continue off from the previous CEO's vision... their plans. CEO's like to make their own name... cut their own path.

Buying Palm was Hurd's vision... But HP is so huge, we'll see what the new guy feels is more important. I think it is worth pursuing but who knows... Android is so popular and if WebOS fails that would bad for the new CEO and may want to go with the trend and go Android instead.

Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Well, the PSG is a $42 billion business unit. That's roughly a third of HP's total revenues. Doesn't sound like the smallest of the units to me.
    Rubi led Palm to where it is today. He doesn't have the ability to run one of the worlds largest companies.

Quote Originally Posted by PoVRAZOR View Post
    Rubinstien to CEO would be such a fun move though. Apple brought Steve Jobb's back in to the company when Apple bought Next, and pushed him right up to the top. This'd be just like that, and the press would have tons of fun with the parallels.
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    We'll have to see what the new CEO does. New CEO's do not like to just continue off from the previous CEO's vision... their plans. CEO's like to make their own name... cut their own path.

Buying Palm was Hurd's vision... But HP is so huge, we'll see what the new guy feels is more important. I think it is worth pursuing but who knows... Android is so popular and if WebOS fails that would bad for the new CEO and may want to go with the trend and go Android instead.
    I'll reiterate: HP bought Palm because they want to dominate in the mobile market. Jumping on the Android bandwagon won't let them do that. With Palm and webOS, HP now owns the entire ecosystem, from hardware to software to the cloud systems that will tie them all together. And, whether the incoming CEO likes it or not, HP spent $1.2 billion on the acquisition--the investors would have him* for lunch if he tried to simply write that off.

No, a new CEO isn't going to cut off his nose just to spite his face, i.e., change a compelling strategy just to make his mark on the organization. He's more likely to embrace it and make it even stronger--it's utterly clear to anyone with half a brain that mobile is where things will be over the next decade. And don't forget: HP as a culture hates Apple. They want to take Apple's game and do it one better. Glomming onto Google's OS isn't going to cut it, and I'm sure HP as a company understands that Android exists entirely for Google's benefit.

*I'm being old-school here in using the masculine form. The new CEO could just as easily be a woman.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Rubi led Palm to where it is today. He doesn't have the ability to run one of the worlds largest companies.
    I don't think Rubi's the right choice, either, but come on. What exactly did he do, except take a company on the brink of irrelevancy and make it relevant again? And provide enough value that HP would be willing to pay $1.2 billion for it? All in the face of utterly insane competition that was even more intense than anybody expected in January of 2009...

No, Rubi wouldn't be the right choice to run HP, but not because he's a poor executive. I think he did a remarkable job with the resources he had available to him.
    Well somebody had to be the underdog in the nextgen mobile OS race. Apple lead the way, Google acquired their way to #2, RIM is rapidly losing their cool, Nokia is scrambling to stay relevant (Symbian, but soon MeeGo), and Qualcomm gave up (Brew).
    Smiles [Drop Video, Zen Video] the award winning puzzle game is now on webOS 1.4.0+ (PDK)
    Now Available: Smiles Zen and Smiles Drop (standalone) with Pixi support! (1.4.5+ only)
    I was pessimistic for a revival of webOS for phones before this -- this news further hurts its chances.

New CEOs are seldom punished for writing off the "mistakes" of their predecessors.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    No, a new CEO isn't going to cut off his nose just to spite his face, i.e., change a compelling strategy just to make his mark on the organization. He's more likely to embrace it and make it even stronger--it's utterly clear to anyone with half a brain that mobile is where things will be over the next decade. And don't forget: HP as a culture hates Apple. They want to take Apple's game and do it one better. Glomming onto Google's OS isn't going to cut it, and I'm sure HP as a company understands that Android exists entirely for Google's benefit.
    Hi,

Thank you for hitting the nail on the head!

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    I don't think Rubi's the right choice, either, but come on. What exactly did he do, except take a company on the brink of irrelevancy and make it relevant again? And provide enough value that HP would be willing to pay $1.2 billion for it? All in the face of utterly insane competition that was even more intense than anybody expected in January of 2009...

No, Rubi wouldn't be the right choice to run HP, but not because he's a poor executive. I think he did a remarkable job with the resources he had available to him.

He also made many many foolish moves in terms of execution:

Being late delivering the Pre, approving some of the worst promotional advertising ever seen for any tech product, under appreciating Palm's legacy developers and customers, not shepherding a hardware design that would be both robust and reliable as well as innovative, and not understanding how vital to its success was having Apps and providing a good SDK to prospective developers.

Despite what were the many positives achieved during his reign, his overall history makes it highly unlikely he will ever lead a major company again.
    Last edited by BARYE; 08/07/2010 at 02:15 AM.
    Well, at least this buys us a new excuse to add to the "just wait until Palm..." list.
    CEOs come in with their own idea of what direction the company needs to go. If they get a person that understands the genius of the Palm acquisition then good. If they dont understand it, they may abandon it for something they feel is the right direction. Look at CEOs that come in and replace other CEOs... yahoo for one. Look at other CEOs that replace others like Steve Ballmer and see them squander all their advantages because he didnt understand the former CEOs genius.

No, a new CEO isn't going to cut off his nose just to spite his face, i.e., change a compelling strategy just to make his mark on the organization.
    Quote Originally Posted by PoVRAZOR View Post

(this is all from memory)

The histories have next to nothing in parallel.

Jobs was a founding giant of the computing revolution -- a giant who was replaced by pygmies.

He went from leaving Apple to achieving enormous success with Pixar.

He founded NeXT, which was a failure -- but it did demonstrate that he could lead a computing enterprise and manage all its challenging constituent parts.

When Jobs came back to Apple it ostensibly was on a temporary basis -- during which he would help find a permanent replacement CEO.

Distance and time had given Jobs a hunger to save the company that was his legacy. He immediately set about canceling his predecessors deals, projects, and product lines.

Despite what I hate about his and Apple's stranglehold of its ecosystem and users, I recognize Job's special brilliance. He has a comprehensive understanding of all parts of business -- art, culture, style, communication and advertising -- as well as technology.

Rubinstein is no Steve Jobs.
    Last edited by BARYE; 08/07/2010 at 02:14 AM.
  15.    #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by pre-fan View Post
    <joke>
    Remember how after the Palm acquisition, Hurd switched to a Pre? Apparently, the experience was so horrible, he had to come up with a way to quit using it! Quitting his position must've been the only way out!
    </joke>
    Or maybe the opportunity to get the $40million they are giving him on his way out
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Well, lets see, what was going through this idiots head "fine babe...I'll risk my job, half my assets, and my reputation for that"....what a freaking moron. I'm glad anyone that dumb isn't heading up a company that is responsible for the development of my future phones.

And to BARYE..., I agree with your point 100%. Rubi is to HP what Wagoner was to GM - good ideals and smart but completely incompetent in execution. However I just haaaaave to say it...Steve Jobs is a PrPrPr!$ck$!!
    Last edited by solarus; 08/06/2010 at 10:13 PM.
    married with two kids, too. What a tool.
    @BARYE

NeXT wasn't a total failure. It became the basis of OS9 and turned the Mac into a serious computer, saving the company...
    Yes, and the parallels come from it being an OS purchase. NextStep in Apple's case, and webOS in the case of HP. Also him being an Ex HP employee.

It's not an identical story, but fanaticism is fueled by "F-Yeahs". What better way to make buddy eat his words about Palm than have the Palm CEO take his job.

All I'm saying it'll be fun, where any other CEO would be boring and corporate. I'm a game dev; fun is what I care about.
    CEOs come in with their own idea of what direction the company needs to go. If they get a person that understands the genius of the Palm acquisition then good. If they dont understand it, they may abandon it for something they feel is the right direction. Look at CEOs that come in and replace other CEOs... yahoo for one. Look at other CEOs that replace others like Steve Ballmer and see them squander all their advantages because he didnt understand the former CEOs genius.
    Yes, but the question is: why would an incoming CEO abandon webOS as a platform? So that HP can compete against Asian companies like HTC, Acer, Lenovo, LG, and Samsung in making me-too Android or Windows Phone 7 devices with little meaningful differentiation? Already, HP's dominance in PCs is threatened by Acer, where even HP's supply chain strengths aren't enough to offset Acer's own. Why would they decide to follow the same path in mobile, when they have webOS to differentiate themselves?

I hear you that CEOs do change strategies, but I think that more often than not they do so to fix obvious mistakes made by inferior executives that they're replacing. We need to remember that Hurd wasn't forced to resign because he'd done a bad job at HP--quite the contrary. He is widely acknowledged to have done an outstanding job as CEO, but he recently made some very bad personal decisions.

So, I'm sure that the Board will do everything they can to choose someone likely to essentially continue executing the strategies that Hurd helped to define. And, of course, HP already has a number of strong leaders that could exert their own pressures to ensure that the company remains headed in the right direction.

Regarding Ballmer and Microsoft, I'd say that his mistake was _not_ changing obviously obsolete strategies. He didn't change Microsoft's direction from where Gates had pointed them, and that was the inherent mistake. An obvious example is that Ballmer held on to Windows Mobile for far too long.
    Last edited by wynand32; 08/07/2010 at 12:39 AM.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast