Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Anyone else agree here?

If there is one thing that I believe is necassary before the launch of any type of Pad or Tablet device, is that HP/Palm need to create an excellent and very unique and intuitave media interface. I can't imagine a Palm tablet device using webos' current music and video app. And I sure as hell dont wan't the palm tablet to just be a supersized pre (like Ipad is an oversized Ipod touch).

Since HP wants to scale webos across many types of devices, it is necassary for them to create a media management/playing interface. Similar to how the IPAD(and Iphone) have the well known tried and true, IPOD interface. That is one advantage of apple products is that their media management/interface is the same on ipod, ipodtouch, iphone and ipad.

I know there will probably be apps, that can function similarly, however HP shouldnt allow such an important fundamental feature of their OS be dependent on developers.(think window media center)
    Last edited by Maestro1; 08/04/2010 at 03:41 PM.
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    are you saying we need our version of itunes, or just better media apps within webos?
    Quote Originally Posted by ieko View Post
    are you saying we need our version of itunes, or just better media apps within webos?
    I would like to go on the record to say that iTunes sucks and if they're going to make a media app I'd rather set the bar at least beyond adequate.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by ieko View Post
    Well we could always use better media apps on webos compared to what we currently have. But I dont think HP/Palm should depend on developers to develop media player apps. They should create their own media player interface system, that is intuitive and works well within the os.

It wouldn't be like I tunes. In the sense that itunes is used for the PC or MAC computer to organize media, buy and download media and apps from store, and to upload media and apps to device. I am talking about the software that is actually in the devices I do not believe that is considerd Itunes.
    I agree fully. The music app isn't a pleasant experience to use, and I hope palm plans on making it more user friendly for 2.0 Does the current music app even support play lists at this point?
    Ironically, iTunes on the iPod is excellent, but on the PC or Mac it's a train wreck. I agree with the OP that there are several apps that Palm/HP need to develop themselves and get right on the first try for webOS 2.0 and then any slate/pad they launch...

And the best rule is to do the opposite of what Microsoft did with Windows Media Center, Media layer, etc... they arent any better than iTunes.

IMHO they need to copy the iPod experience as closely as they can.
    It took my quite a while one night to get the Pre's music player to recognize my playlists, but it worked. The playlist has to reside in the folder the music is in, and all the music must has to be in the one folder. At least, that's what worked for me. It's not something that is going to fly with the vast majority of phone users.
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    Ironically, iTunes on the iPod is excellent, but on the PC or Mac it's a train wreck. I agree with the OP that there are several apps that Palm/HP need to develop themselves and get right on the first try for webOS 2.0 and then any slate/pad they launch...

And the best rule is to do the opposite of what Microsoft did with Windows Media Center, Media layer, etc... they arent any better than iTunes.

IMHO they need to copy the iPod experience as closely as they can.
    So we should get rid the the hard keyboard in favor of a scroll wheel?
    No they don't. Just my 2 cents.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  10. Ty
    I haven't had hands-on with it yet, but the NaNPlayer option looks amazing. If Palm/HP are smart they are watching that progression closely.
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
    So we should get rid the the hard keyboard in favor of a scroll wheel?
    What? of course I want them to keep the keyboard? what part of itunes on ipod touch sounds like "lose the keyboard"? If you've used itunes on an iPod touch, you know what it does well. Managing lists, album art, very graphical, very easy to use. lots of gestures, etc.
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
    I agree fully. The music app isn't a pleasant experience to use, and I hope palm plans on making it more user friendly for 2.0 Does the current music app even support play lists at this point?
    i agree... due to the pre's relatively slow clock speed, loading alllll those album covers seems painful for the device. id prefer palm take the almbum covers off of the artist list and just make it run way faster and more smoothly. a sacrifice id b willing to make
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    What? of course I want them to keep the keyboard? what part of itunes on ipod touch sounds like "lose the keyboard"? If you've used itunes on an iPod touch, you know what it does well. Managing lists, album art, very graphical, very easy to use. lots of gestures, etc.
    Your quote said "IPOD" not "IPOD TUOCH" so a scrool wheel is on most IPods, hence the remark.

I totally disagree...cant stand apple, so dont mimick them...be creative and make a new one, or buy one. If I wanted apple's interface, I would have an IPhone and a Mac.

Pre/WebOS and Win7 is all I need.

Nokia (red phone) --> Denso TouchPoint TP2200 --> Samsung SPH-N400 --> (Palm VII) --> Sanyo 5150 --> Palm Treo 650 --> Palm Pre --> Sprint FrankenPre 2 --> (HP TouchPad)/(HP Pre 3 - Wifi) --> Galaxy Nexus (with TS mod and hopes of Open webOS!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maestro1 View Post
    Anyone else agree here?

If there is one thing that I believe is necassary before the launch of any type of Pad or Tablet device, is that HP/Palm need to create an excellent and very unique and intuitave media interface. I can't imagine a Palm tablet device using webos' current music and video app. And I sure as hell dont wan't the palm tablet to just be a supersized pre (like Ipad is an oversized Ipod touch).

Since HP wants to scale webos across many types of devices, it is necassary for them to create a media management/playing interface. Similar to how the IPAD(and Iphone) have the well known tried and true, IPOD interface. That is one advantage of apple products is that their media management/interface is the same on ipod, ipodtouch, iphone and ipad.

I know there will probably be apps, that can function similarly, however HP shouldnt allow such an important fundamental feature of their OS be dependent on developers.(think window media center)
    No thanks.
    : (){:|:&};:
    not a bad idea, though even partnering up with something like Amazon who has a library thats as large as Itunes would be a idea. Also to some of the responses even overclocked to 1ghz the albulm art is not a issue on the pre, so the new hardware will be able to handle that just fine. Also most people use the musicplayer remix and setup their own flylist (via playlist) with no problem at all, most dont even use the stock app.
    I'm sure they have plans to upgrade the media apps on webos devices, the million dollar question though is whether or not they will try and create an itunes comptitor. If they do, it will be a great indicator of whether or not they want to fully participate in the smartphone market.
    I don't think a proprietary media store or media player is crucial to smartphone success. In this case, I do prefer the iPhone player over the Pre's player - but the Pre's player works. Not to sound like I'm beating a dead horse here, but the single biggest issue is developer buy-in. Or more users, depending on which you see as the chicken and which you see as the egg. But the point is that trivial things like the music player are not critical at this stage. HP has to gain share, and fast - the boat is leaving port with RIM, Android, and iOS on board. History has shown time and again that in America, most industries mature into two or three major players - so it concerns me that HP is not on this boat. And considering that passage on the boat centers on number of users/number of apps, that is a much more crucial problem than anything else.

EDIT: Left Precentral.net and popped over to a news site; lo and behold, they're running an article on mobile app stores: http://money.cnn.com/2010/08/05/tech...apps/index.htm
    Last edited by pre-fan; 08/05/2010 at 03:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by pre-fan View Post
    I don't think a proprietary media store or media player is crucial to smartphone success.
    Clearly this is the case with Android.
    The iTunes/iPod/iPhone ecosystem in which Apple forces you to subsist, is the main reason that I do not have Apple products.

If this is the way webOS moves in the future, HPalm will have lost me.

nb
    Quote Originally Posted by DJeremyC View Post
    Your quote said "IPOD" not "IPOD TUOCH" so a scrool wheel is on most IPods, hence the remark.

I totally disagree...cant stand apple, so dont mimick them...be creative and make a new one, or buy one. If I wanted apple's interface, I would have an IPhone and a Mac.

Pre/WebOS and Win7 is all I need.
    I am just pointing out th gesturing aspect of the iPhd Touch iTunes. That would be the thing they need to emulate. Not the closed ecosystem, not any of the proprietary stuff. It's just a very usable app on the iTouch. the gesturing it uses is very webOS-like
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast